Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

12345679»

Comments

• JJ would be fine as the left sided central defender in a back four. I agree that the wing back formation hasn’t worked at all well this season. Fred nailed it on the left last season and Ikpeazu didn’t require crosses. He picked up passes and second balls very effectively without them. I’m not naming names but I think it’s pretty obvious where I’m coming from!!

• @LX1 said:
    Equalise before they score

• @micra said:
    I was impressed with Forino. Showed good positional sense and won many important headers. Some of his distribution was good, too, in a game when we gave the ball away too hurriedly and too often. Huge potential.

I’m not convinced that the chance which Stewart missed was as easy as most seem to think. There were two recumbent defenders (plus the goalkeeper) more or less lying on his feet when the ball reached him.

I realise after seeing highlights on TV (as opposed to live on the laptop) that, like Stewart, I was well wide of the mark ! He has been honest enough today to mention his miss on Twitter and to say that the lads are determined to atone tomorrow (or words to that effect).

• Sorry but I really can't subscribe to this "rustiness" POV. It was 18 days, not an 8 week summer sabbatical. IMHO it should have been a great break to restore energy levels & appetite. What were the players doing in those 18 days? Surely not porking out on turkey and other Christmas goodies.

• Not just physical rustiness, psychological too - arguably more. When you're used to playing at least once a week, an unexpected gap between games of almost three weeks is going to have some effect. And if it's good enough for Dobbo, it's good enough for me.

• Clutching at straws for me, but hey ho. No point in falling out over it.

• edited December 2021

@EwanHoosaami said:
    Clutching at straws for me, but hey ho. No point in falling out over it.

I guess we'll see tomorrow. Hopefully... I'm still braced for the game to be called off.

• Hoping not. I am going to stay home for this one and listen on IFollow. After travelling to Ipswich Wednesday felling to ill and watching a dire game, I simply have no appetite to travel for this one. Good luck to those that travel and here's hoping we can get that win, but I keep remembering our traditional festive failures of the past and I am shuddering!

• edited December 2021

I'll decide in the morning, but I think I'll go - came out on the wrong end of a bit of a thriller there last time, here's hoping for a reverse ?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Clutching at straws for me, but hey ho. No point in falling out over it.

This is very much contrary to the spirit of the Gasroom