Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• edited September 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You are so right about the affect of those 3 tough away games with all the attendant issues like travel, late nights etc. It’s an aspect of the game that most people don’t think about and it plays a big part in the occasional below par performance.

• Yeah, on second thoughts I'd also have Grimmer > McCarthy at the moment. He was excellent and very attack-minded at RWB v Charlton too.

• Just saw highlights. JJ handball? All I can say is I've seen them given...but the ref was right there and they never make mistakes worth moaning about.

• This might be the best tweet to ever come from the club account:

• Just watched the replay. I thought Hanlan was excellent. Very good hold up play indeed.

Our crossing is still irritatingly poor at times. Two really quality balls in led to both goals.

Good to grind out 3 pts from a fairly unattractive game.

• Kaikai is almost the opposite of Horgan in my mind, he really struggled to get in the game, but then had two bits of final quality that led to goals.

Barely seen a game that Horgan hasn't been able to look involved in, but even when he runs the game he hasn't scored or assisted as much as he probably should... Yet.

I'd go with McCarthy over Grimmer at right wing back every time, for all of Grimmers positive, crossing isn't one, and when you've got Vokes waiting in the middle that's such a waste

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    This might be the best tweet to ever come from the club account:

Ahem.

• Thompson and Scowen. Best midfield pairing I can think of for a couple of decades. Immense. That is all

• Thompson was my MOTM last night. He is such a good player. What a signing

• @ReturnToSenda said:

They've certainly redeemed themselves after describing Milton Keynes as 'our Buckinghamshire rivals,' on Saturday.

• edited September 2021

@drcongo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Ahem.

Was that the work of a Mr H. Wehn by any chance?

• Must admit, I find it quite encouraging that people don't rate us before and then cannot understand how they lost afterwards.

• @fame_46 said:
    Feel like I’m running out of words to describe how good Joe Jacobson is, not just his defending and leadership, the goal wouldn’t look out of place from a number 10 or attacking midfielder.

I would love to see JJ as a striker or attacking midfielder as a fun experiment.

• Re Grimmer v McCarthy. Big fan of both, but our issue currently seems to be not getting good balls on the box for Vokes. 3 or 4 times Jack got into a good position but put in a low ball to no one. McCarthy is an improvement on this, but maybe we lose something at the back.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Must admit, I find it quite encouraging that people don't rate us before and then cannot understand how they lost afterwards.

Reminds me of a thread I saw about opposition fans of every club thinking Zaha turns into Messi against them, rather than just accepting he’s actually very good.

• edited September 2021

Its often the case when you look at an opposition match thread, there is no mention during the game of dark arts and sthousery but after the final whistle the referee was almost always totally conned by our dark arts and sthousery. (Not that I am claiming we are always white knights you understand...)

• @Wendoverman said:
    Its often the case when you look at an opposition match thread, there is no mention during the game of dark arts and sthousery but after the final whistle the referee was almost always totally conned by our dark arts and sthousery. (Not that I am claiming we are always white knights you understand...)

This was very strangely formatted by the Gasroom elves I assume.

• edited September 2021

Wrapping text in ** characters produces bold text. You can avoid the bolding by escaping the ** characters with backslashes - \*\*

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    No Wycombe player who completed the game had fewer touches of the ball than McCarthy, who I forgot was playing for large periods.

Still think we have enough strength in depth at wingback?

• @aloysius said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    No Wycombe player who completed the game had fewer touches of the ball than McCarthy, who I forgot was playing for large periods.

Yes.

• @aloysius said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

It's true that it is possible we do not have experienced cover in every single position in the team but guess what...this is football...we never will have. And some players will get injured. Perhaps even the Open The Chequebook Player who would guarantee promotion might get a knock or even miss a few games.

• @drcongo said:
    Wrapping text in ** characters produces bold text. You can avoid the bolding by escaping the ** characters with backslashes - \*\*

I could have just been bold and written S---housery I suppose.

• edited September 2021

One somewhat anonymous game for a player just back from injury and making only his fourth appearance of the season ≠ lack of cover in that position. It's an unfamiliar position for him, sure, but I think he'll prove more than capable there heading forward. He didn't play badly last night anyway.

• Looks like Shrews fans think the problem is Steve Cotterill has no Plan B.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Looks like Shrews fans think the problem is Steve Cotterill has no Plan B.

Simple solution, sign a Bayo (but not ours).

• @mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Looks like Shrews fans think the problem is Steve Cotterill has no Plan B.

Simple solution, sign a Bayo (but not ours).

Are you suggesting they should simply add a Bayo?

• Nicely done.

• @Wendoverman said:

@drcongo said:

I could have just been bold and written S---housery I suppose.

Makes me nostalgic for the original Gasroom where you couldn't write Scunthorpe