Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• edited September 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    One somewhat anonymous game for a player just back from injury and making only his fourth appearance of the season ≠ lack of cover in that position. It's an unfamiliar position for him, sure, but I think he'll prove more than capable there heading forward. He didn't play badly last night anyway.

He can barely kick the ball with his left though, which will always be a problem at left wing back when one of your biggest strengths use powerful running like McCarthy.

• edited September 2021

@Username said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    One somewhat anonymous game for a player just back from injury and making only his fourth appearance of the season ≠ lack of cover in that position. It's an unfamiliar position for him, sure, but I think he'll prove more than capable there heading forward. He didn't play badly last night anyway.

He can barely kick the ball with his left though, which will always be a problem at left wing back when one of your biggest strengths use powerful running like McCarthy.

I'm not saying I expect to see him there very often - hopefully we won't need to - but I also think it's workable, although it might take an element of overlapping CBs on that side. Then again, maybe that would overcomplicate things. I think Wheeler would be a better LWB option than McCarthy anyway.

• Macca might work as a CB cover in a three but I agree he poses more of a goal threat than JG.

• We do have a general lack of left-footers. In fact, are Taf and JJ the only ones?

• edited September 2021

The answer to RWB is to give a fake nose and moustache to both McCarthy and Grimmer so that they look like the same person. When the ball crosses halfway, Grimmer jumps off the pitch and McCarthy jumps on. When the ball crosses back into our defensive half, Grimmer jumps back on. No-one will ever notice.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    We do have a general lack of left-footers. In fact, are Taf and JJ the only ones?

Jordan (Jordon?) Obita is. Maybe some of the development squad too but I don’t know.

• Surely all professional footballers should be equally able to kick with both feet?
    Many years ago I can remember our teacher at primary school going on about how necessary that would be if you wanted to succeed

• Two-footed players are a rarity.

Darren Currie is one that springs to mind

• I’m going to be a very miserable curmudgeon here and say there really is no excuse for not being able to competently use both feet as a professional footballer.

I was no more than a decent amateur, right footed footballer, but at a young age I spent hours practicing on my own with a ball against a wall, using only my left foot. By adulthood, most people couldn’t tell what foot was my preferred foot.

And I was not even close to having anywhere near the talent a pro footballer has. And they play football day in day out and are paid for it. They should be able to use both feet to an adequate level.

• And I don’t mean to Darren Currie’s level of both footedness. He was genuinely equally talented with both feet and a wonderful ball player. Just being comfortable with both feet.

• @oxfordshirechairboy said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    We do have a general lack of left-footers. In fact, are Taf and JJ the only ones?

Jordan (Jordon?) Obita is. Maybe some of the development squad too but I don’t know.

Duh ?‍♂️ But yeah, we're lacking at least in the first-team squad.

• @Wendoverman said:
    Looks like Shrews fans think the problem is Steve Cotterill has no Plan B.

Or get Rob C to write an open letter to said Mr Cotterill. Works wonders!??

• @eric_plant said:
    Two-footed players are a rarity.

Darren Currie is one that springs to mind

I watched a recent documentary on Dame Jessica Ennis in which she said she'd suffered a career threatening injury to her right leg (her key leg) prior to the London Olympics and her trainer had taught her to change sides. Seemed to work fairly well!

• @Quarterman said:
    And I don’t mean to Darren Currie’s level of both footedness. He was genuinely equally talented with both feet and a wonderful ball player. Just being comfortable with both feet.

Don't remember Ryan Giggs using his right foot for much except standing on. He got by.

• A shortage of left footed players? That's never been an issue in football before has it? And we only seem to have three? I hope that Ainsworth and Rob C and his chequebook can sort it out before we become a laughing stock.

• @HCblue said:

@Quarterman said:
    And I don’t mean to Darren Currie’s level of both footedness. He was genuinely equally talented with both feet and a wonderful ball player. Just being comfortable with both feet.

Don't remember Ryan Giggs using his right foot for much except standing on. He got by.

I'll see your Ryan Giggs, and raise you a Diego Maradona

Watch his 2nd goal vs England in '86. Never uses his right foot once, and he ran half the length of the pitch beating half the England team in the process

• in his last ever proper game of football, vs Port Vale, Gareth Ainsworth would have scored, if he had a left foot.

• Luke O'Nien is so two-footed that even now I struggle to think which one he prefers.

• Did Dean Morgan take some penalties with his right and some with his left? Or have I imagined that?

Alfie Mawson was pretty good with either foot wasn't he?

Still think Darren Currie is the most two-footed player I've ever seen at any level

• Santi Cazorla.

• You could say Granit Xhaka is two-footed...

• @eric_plant said:
    Did Dean Morgan take some penalties with his right and some with his left? Or have I imagined that?

Still think Darren Currie is the most two-footed player I've ever seen at any level

Morgan took a pen in GA’s last game with his left and put it right in the corner

• The only reason I got picked for most of the teams I played for was that I was left footed. One scout told me that I only lacked one thing that stopped me from becoming a professional player. I got quite excited to think I could work on that to make it, until he told me it was "any form of talent"! ?

• @eric_plant said:
    Did Dean Morgan take some penalties with his right and some with his left? Or have I imagined that?

Probably Hoddle for me

• Kevin Durham was truly two-footed, if I remember correctly.

• I have two left feet but still got sent off to go and kick a ball around in the corner with the fat kids and the ones with glasses...

• ?‍♂️ Can we have the Dog thread back!??

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    ?‍♂️ Can we have the Dog thread back!??

Sorry. Not pawsible.

• Who knows where that would lead?