Skip to content

EFL Playoffs

1789101113»

Comments

• Tough one. Personally I'd rather VAR didn't exist. I certainly wouldn't want it used in any match Wycombe were involved in. But... keeping in mind it sadly does exist, it does seem odd to not use in the play offs.

• edited May 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:
    People complain about VAR, but that would have quickly been overruled as a pen.

You've got to have VAR in massive games like that. Far too much riding on it. An absolute sickener for Newport.

Why can't you have a "current" Premiership referee doing the finals?

• edited May 2021

@mooneyman said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:
    People complain about VAR, but that would have quickly been overruled as a pen.

You've got to have VAR in massive games like that. Far too much riding on it. An absolute sickener for Newport.

Why can't you have a "current" Premiership referee doing the finals?

Not sure that would make a huge difference necessarily. Refereeing standards in this country are so pop in general and they won't get any better until there's a full review into the root causes of that. Can't wait to be reunited with Trevor and Brett next season...

• Got to feel for Michael Flynn. He's bound to have some takers this summer, but I'm sure he won't have envisaged leaving without taking them up.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

You can’t pick and choose what games have VAR. If it had been in use in playoff finals clubs could legitimately claim to have been penalised during the season by its absence. We might well have stayed up if it had been in use, but it wasn’t.

Fwiw I think VAR in its current form should be abolished in all leagues. If it is to continue it must only be for clear errors and not marginal decisions or only used if the referee feels it was too close to call accurately

• I watch second division German football from time to time, and it’s bizarre how different both the refereeing and the VAR is.

Firstly the refs: hardly ever seem to make glaring errors, not easily conned, and totally in control of the game without you ever noticing them.

Secondly, VAR: never holds up play, never gets used for someone’s finger being offside, never results in the entire crowd looking at a screen instead of celebrating a goal and quite often you won’t even realise you’re watching a VAR match because nothing happens with it at all.

How have we got it so effing wrong in this country?

• @drcongo said:
    How have we got it so effing wrong in this country?

Is there anything this doesn't apply to?

• @drcongo - do the players tend to try to con the officials as much? Perhaps more honest players mean fairer games?

• Quick reminder that VAR is the worst thing to ever happen in football

• Surely the solution has nothing to do with the officials. It has to be entirely about the players. The guy that dived today - give him a 10 game ban. Retrospective punishment has to be the way forward; have a panel of three or five ex-professionals and if they decide that a player has attempted to deceive an official, they get an automatic ban. Have the bans remain consistent too, such as five games for first offence, ten for second etc.

It doesn’t change the result but eventually, it’ll greatly reduce the amount of cheating.

• The problem is there already are retrospective bans for diving - the first player to get one was the Carlisle guy who dived against us in the 3-3 up there actually - they're just so rarely given out you forget. I think there have only been about five in four seasons of it being in place.

• @eric_plant said:
    Quick reminder that VAR is the worst thing to ever happen in football

Second worse. The Franchise abomination tops it in my opinion.

• @eric_plant said:
    Quick reminder that VAR is the worst thing to ever happen in football

... since Sepp Blatter

• @micra said:
    Lenny Hendrie also suggested that the temperature was about 26 degrees. Must be a micro climate at the stadium as maxima around London have been around 23 degrees. Much higher than 26 in the sun of course.

Loving the sound of Lennie Hendrie . Genuinely made me chuckle a lot.

Wonder if condensed milk sandwiches are still talked about?

• edited May 2021

@ReturnToSenda said:
    The problem is there already are retrospective bans for diving - the first player to get one was the Carlisle guy who dived against us in the 3-3 up there actually - they're just so rarely given out you forget. I think there have only been about five in four seasons of it being in place.

Here is an article from 2017 on this subject:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39962886.amp

It’s clear that they need to revisit it and review their own processes. You rightly point out that they are rarely given out, which suggests that the reviews are either not happening or the panel are not unanimously agreeing that simulation has occurred.

Edit: link to avoid BBC app: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/sport/football/39962886.amp

• edited May 2021

The only ones I can remember are the Carlisle bloke, Patrick Bamford in that really heated Leeds - Villa game, and I think Oumar Niasse for Crystal Palace. Wouldn't actually be surprised if that really is the lot.

• *for Everton against Palace

• Adams leaves Morecambe three days after the Lge2 Play-Off win.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57343622

Bradford it is then?

• Just scared of facing Wycombe is all.

• edited June 2021

Not a fan of Derek Adams, but I have to say (while holding my nose) that getting Morecambe to 4th is quite an incredible achievement. I would say "getting Morecambe promoted" but that final was a travesty. I was a little surprised he did not win the L2 LMS award, but then Michael Duff did quite an incredible job with Cheltenham too. I don't know much about Duff, but if he even knows how to smile he is already more likeable than DA.

• edited June 2021

Did anyone see Adams' post-match interview? Particularly the bit about the penalty decision. Let's just say it lacked class.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Did anyone see Adams' post-match interview? Particularly the bit about the penalty decision. Let's just say it lacked class.

I saw his comments when asked about the Bradford job.
    He was so slippery it was clear it was happening.

• He was asked if he had any sympathy for Newport because of the pen decision, and he basically just said he didn't because Newport had got three of their players sent off in other games during the season (I don't know how true that is).

• Our season ended when we lost to Tottenham Hotspur Football Club