Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Match day thread: Rotherham

13567

Comments

  • We will bolster the midfield I'm sure. Think we'll have to wait for October though when we can bring in a high quality loan or 2. Freeman looked promising when he came on though.

    There are positives to be taken. Solid at the back, and the front 3 all looked good at times, we just couldn't get them on the ball enough.

  • @drcongo said:
    I think Rotherham are far from the easiest game we’ll have this season, it’s always a bit of a battle with them. They’re used to playing us, and actually do β€œknow what they’re going to get with Wycombe”, there’s plenty of teams in this division though who have no experience of playing us or even anyone who plays like we do. That’s where I hope we can pick up a few points.

    Second half we really weren’t in it at all though which is a little concerning.

    Hope you're right on this brother.

    We need to remember the positives from the first half and work on those.

    We certainly can't afford to waste that couple of supreme chances we had today though.
    That Horgan chance 80-90secs in has to go in.

  • That was hard to take. It seems so long ago that we last lost a game in stoppage time that I wasn't really expecting that. Could have been so different if Horgan had put the early chance away.

  • Bloomfield's challenge was a lot worse than Gape's wasn't it?

  • @Malone said:
    Disaster to lose this one.

    And the commentary disappeared with 10 to go too!

    "Disaster"

    There are 45 games to go man. Have a word with yourself

  • @eric_plant said:
    Bloomfield's challenge was a lot worse than Gape's wasn't it?

    Definitely

  • I still don’t understand how the guy who clattered thru the back of Kashket didn’t get booked.

  • Pundit's dream that game really. Firstly, the higher you go the more important it is to take your chances when they come along, and you can't afford to switch off at set pieces however late they come in a game.

    They took their chance we didn't take either of ours. Other than that it was a poor game with a lot of huff and puff but not much quality I thought

  • We may have expected to win that one but I’m sure there will be others when we expect to lose and win. Wouldn’t put it past wycombe to go to Blackburn and win , remember we love being the underdog. In some ways we may do better against the better footballing sides with hitting teams on the break. That was a bit of a league two game today.

  • Far from aesthetically pleasing @eric_plant. I certainly wouldn’t want to watch that kind of ferocious scrapping too often. But I agree with @drcongo. We will play quite a few teams who play more open and methodical football. We will still scrap of course but, as against Brentford, we will also play a few passes from time to time.

  • Sad that in both games we conceded from set-pieces...something I was not expecting. With SK getting so little in the second half did Gareth leave it too late to put Parker on do we think?

  • I thought the same thing @Wendoverman.

    On the bright side, Blackburn Rovers next week, beats going to Rochdale or Accrington.

  • @eric_plant said:
    Pundit's dream that game really. Firstly, the higher you go the more important it is to take your chances when they come along, and you can't afford to switch off at set pieces however late they come in a game.

    They took their chance we didn't take either of ours. Other than that it was a poor game with a lot of huff and puff but not much quality I thought

    Why does it make a difference how high you are to how many chances you take? So in League 2 you dont have to take chances?

  • It is because you get less chances, the higher you go. You can afford to take less of them in L2.

  • Plenty of thoughts from @chairboyscentral on Twitter. Come back to the gasroom. I for one miss the cut and thrust of debate.

  • @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Plenty of thoughts from @chairboyscentral on Twitter. Come back to the gasroom. I for one miss the cut and thrust of debate.

    He makes a good point about Tafazolli and his immense height and aerial ability.

    When he was warming up, I did wonder if we might have brought him on for more security in the air versus the late set pieces. Rotherham did have a fair few sheds!

  • I don't usually wish bad things on other teams, but it has given me a little lift to see Peterborough's revenge tour starting so well...

  • @thecatwwfc said:

    @eric_plant said:
    Pundit's dream that game really. Firstly, the higher you go the more important it is to take your chances when they come along, and you can't afford to switch off at set pieces however late they come in a game.

    They took their chance we didn't take either of ours. Other than that it was a poor game with a lot of huff and puff but not much quality I thought

    Why does it make a difference how high you are to how many chances you take? So in League 2 you dont have to take chances?

    It's pretty obvious mate

  • @Malone said:

    @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Plenty of thoughts from @chairboyscentral on Twitter. Come back to the gasroom. I for one miss the cut and thrust of debate.

    He makes a good point about Tafazolli and his immense height and aerial ability.

    When he was warming up, I did wonder if we might have brought him on for more security in the air versus the late set pieces. Rotherham did have a fair few sheds!

    Dead right and a shame he's not debating it on here. Just hope he's not boycotting over any perceived differences.

  • Reality is that JJ had the season of a lifetime with goals and won’t replicate that again (delighted to be wrong but confident I won’t be). So we need to get 10 goals from somewhere and we need goals from somewhere else too. Do we think we have a 15 goal striker in the squad plus are confident we can get something from midfield too? It’s going to be a tough 3 weeks for GA on the phone.

  • @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Reality is that JJ had the season of a lifetime with goals and won’t replicate that again (delighted to be wrong but confident I won’t be). So we need to get 10 goals from somewhere and we need goals from somewhere else too. Do we think we have a 15 goal striker in the squad plus are confident we can get something from midfield too? It’s going to be a tough 3 weeks for GA on the phone.

    It's too early to tell anything at the moment - except that we can't be fielding today's midfield too often. However, that was forced upon us.

    We were one stretch, one crossbar, and one failure to deal with a setpiece from turning a defeat into a win.

  • 20th In the championship tonight we would settle for that at the end of the season

  • To be fair, this was always going to be more of a "battle of League 1", rather than a measured tic-a-tacca style. We knew that Rotherham would be a team of bungalows on legs and looking to get the ball in the box to see if they could pick up a second ball if not the first. The Chairboys Central stats said it all really. @Malone summed it up well enough. Could have, should have, would have game that we didn't & they did!

  • Yes, their bungalows were massively bigger than ours. Two of our biggest bungalows either unavailable or unused today and, thinking about that, what a difference their presence might have made!

  • As would two of the smallest !

  • @micra said:
    Yes, their bungalows were massively bigger than ours. Two of our biggest bungalows either unavailable or unused today and, thinking about that, what a difference their presence might have made!

    How would you have fitted in Tafazolli @micra ?

    I can see his height being a big plus during the season but would you have left out one of our regulars or change the system? All served us well last year.

    Would just having a man on the near post work as well?

  • I probably would have brought him on for Charles after about an hour. Easy to be wise now tho.

  • Ainsworth is normally meticulous in his planning. Would have thought he knew Rotherham had some big units. Surprising he didn’t start with Tafazolli. Has loyalty backfired on this occasion.

  • Probably saw no reason to break up what has been a successful centre back partnership this early.
    When the midweekers start kicking in we'll have to then

    Blackburn look to have been involved in a real goalfest today. Hope they underestimate us!

  • Misplaced loyalty? Charles and Stewart were great today .but I agree perhaps darius could have left at about 80 for a bigger unit?

Sign In or Register to comment.