Skip to content

Josh Parker, conspiracy theorist

Comments

• All for footballers having personality, but if you start a 7 minute long monologue about how you think 5G is linked to a worldwide pandemic currently killing a lot of people, don't start it with 'I'm not a doctor or expert' - you're likely to lose a lot of credibility.

• Them old people who've let their bodies go to wrack and ruin have only themselves to blame if they die of this virus, which may or may not exist, created by technological companies eating dirty bats on the Moon.

• Parker's certainly heading towards a "Mutual" parting of ways in the summer, the way he's going.

• The fundamental problem with most conspiracy theories is that they assume watertight collusion among a lot of high level figures, with no dissenters. Even at a Guy Fawkes level, conspiracies are hard to keep quiet, let alone some of the ridiculously high exposure subjects such as the moon landings, 911 etc. I always imagine the recruiting going like this:

Conspirator: "Hey Bob, we have a dastardly plan to victimize our own people. Want to be involved?"

Bob: "No way!"

Conspirator: "Er...well would you mind not saying anything? We want it to be a surprise."

Conspiracy would be much more achievable in a totalitarian regime, but still difficult to keep a lid on. So for instance, it is pretty clear that the Chinese government conspired (in a manner of speaking) to downplay the extent of the virus initially, but the fact that there were whistleblowers even within the country waving their hands in the air frantically, shows how difficult it is to achieve a watertight conspiracy at a high level, and I am stretching it to call the cover up a conspiracy, as opposed to policy.

I think habitual belief in unproven, watertight conspiracy theories (as opposed to well known sinister information, like say Google's ability and potential for prying/spying) is therefore a type of narcissism - fundamentally, someone gets to always feel like they know something very few other people know.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Whatis still really evident is that the public sector cogs don't spin as quick as in the private sector. More money doesn't solve inefficiencies in supply chain, procurement and pure red tape.

Any evidence at all for this assertion? As a FTSE 100 company employee I wish my private sector firm provided as good work from home access as my NHS employed wife and local authority employed brother have available to them.

Utter myth the the private sector is so much more efficient.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I can't even start to imagine the sort of conversations Parker and Wheeler have ordinarily.

How’s Dave Wheeler implicated here?

• @arnos_grove said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Whatis still really evident is that the public sector cogs don't spin as quick as in the private sector. More money doesn't solve inefficiencies in supply chain, procurement and pure red tape.

Any evidence at all for this assertion? As a FTSE 100 company employee I wish my private sector firm provided as good work from home access as my NHS employed wife and local authority employed brother have available to them.

Some years ago, tired of the poor quality South Bucks management, Mrs W went to look around with a view to moving from NHS to a local private hospital.

'Where's the crash trolley?'
    'Er...not sure. But no-one here knows how to use it anyway...'

Needless to say she did not join their happy work-force.

On the bright side people have to be nice to you and you get a nice(r) cup of tea.

• @Right_in_the_Middle - If you examine cases of inadequate performance of the public sector carefully, you will often find that this is due to contracting out services to private companies such as probation services, prisons, care homes etc.

• @arnos_grove said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    I can't even start to imagine the sort of conversations Parker and Wheeler have ordinarily.

Wheeler is perceived to be a bit of a thoughtful intellectual.
    Parker seemingly the opposite.

• @arnos_grove said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

Just from being involved with the NHS in the last three months and general business dealings with the MOD over the years. There are plenty in the private sector with the same problems but I still think public sector procedures could be made easier generally

• What @Malone said. Wheeler comes across as a clued-up, grounded politically astute thinker.

• @arnos_grove said:

@MindlessDrugHoover said:

I think the implication is that he is the polar opposite thus their conversations might be interesting.

• Parker is entitled to hold whatever views he wishes and to believe whatever conspiracies he wishes. We are entitled to believe that what he says is bollocks.

Employees social media postings can in law be considered gross misconduct and lead to dismissal from his employer if they breech the terms of his employment contract by damaging the standing of his employer.

I have to say I would see Parker as skating very close to that line. I would like to think that he is being gently told to STFU by the club.

• edited March 2020

@Shev said:
    I think habitual belief in unproven, watertight conspiracy theories (as opposed to well known sinister information, like say Google's ability and potential for prying/spying) is therefore a type of narcissism - fundamentally, someone gets to always feel like they know something very few other people know.

This is very true. It's often linked to a feeling of a lack of power too, when someone feels unseen and unheard in their day to day life, believing utter bollocks can sometimes make them feel like a somebody.
    This fantastic WaPo article touches on this as I remember.

edit: Washingtonian, not WaPo

• Not in the same league of course as the (frankly almost insane) ramblings of my ‘tip for top scorer this year*’, but it scares me how many people are happy to see some rumour or other on Twitter or Facebook and instantly assume it’s true without giving it a moments thought or research (Zoom and HouseParty being typical examples),

*Will still happen if we ever finish the season: “Oi don’t get too close to that guy, he’s nuts (no disrespect). I read on TwitBook it can be catching...”

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

Just from being involved with the NHS in the last three months and general business dealings with the MOD over the years. There are plenty in the private sector with the same problems but I still think public sector procedures could be made easier generally

I’m not surprised if you have a negative impression of the public sector having dealt with MoD. They aren’t exactly the best thought of organisation, and aren’t representative of the public sector as a whole.

• When you see some of the evidence given to Commons committees about spending and waste from some of the departments...the amount of money disappearing down the sewer due to incompetence, lack of proper contractual oversight and penalty clauses and a lack of due diligence is quite staggering. Companies like ATOS, Crapita and G4S seem to continually fail to provide even the most basic of services over years and yet win government contract after government contract. Now that's what Josh Parker needs to apply his mind to! :smiley:

• We are still suffering from the after effects of that Grantham shopkeeper's daughter!

• @drcongo said:

@Shev said:

This is very true. It's often linked to a feeling of a lack of power too, when someone feels unseen and unheard in their day to day life, believing utter bollocks can sometimes make them feel like a somebody.
    This fantastic WaPo article touches on this as I remember.

edit: Washingtonian, not WaPo

Or as Lisa Simpson put it to her dad
    "people who believe in conspiracies tend to be absolute losers in dead end jobs....oh and you dad"

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    What @Malone said. Wheeler comes across as a clued-up, grounded politically astute thinker.

Thank god for that. For a minute I thought he’d joined the tin foil hat brigade! Thanks also @mooneyman and @Wendoverman for clarifying. I’ve been having one of those days, missing the point of everything!

• @bookertease said:
    Not in the same league of course as the (frankly almost insane) ramblings of my ‘tip for top scorer this year*’, but it scares me how many people are happy to see some rumour or other on Twitter or Facebook and instantly assume it’s true without giving it a moments thought or research

It’s worth remembering that supposed respected media sources can be just as bad. I’ve said before, if media reports on a subject you have detailed knowledge of, you’ll spot numerous errors. So assume it’s the same with whatever they report.

For example, Derbyshire Police have taken a (deserved IMHO) shoeing in recent days for their over-zealous policing of the lockdown, but the story has developed into them pouring black dye into a beautiful blue water ‘lagoon’ just outside Buxton to stop people enjoying a beauty spot. This has been reported across all the nationals today.

Reality is the water In this old quarry is 11+ PH and swimming in it is very bad for your health. Plus it has rusting cars, general waste and dead animals rotting away in it. The dye is put in every year by the local authority to protect public health. But even broadsheets are reporting it as heavy handed police vandalising a beauty spot to inflict their power on the downtrodden public.

• @arnos_grove said:

@bookertease said:
    Not in the same league of course as the (frankly almost insane) ramblings of my ‘tip for top scorer this year*’, but it scares me how many people are happy to see some rumour or other on Twitter or Facebook and instantly assume it’s true without giving it a moments thought or research

It’s worth remembering that supposed respected media sources can be just as bad. I’ve said before, if media reports on a subject you have detailed knowledge of, you’ll spot numerous errors. So assume it’s the same with whatever they report.

For example, Derbyshire Police have taken a (deserved IMHO) shoeing in recent days for their over-zealous policing of the lockdown, but the story has developed into them pouring black dye into a beautiful blue water ‘lagoon’ just outside Buxton to stop people enjoying a beauty spot. This has been reported across all the nationals today.

Reality is the water In this old quarry is 11+ PH and swimming in it is very bad for your health. Plus it has rusting cars, general waste and dead animals rotting away in it. The dye is put in every year by the local authority to protect public health. But even broadsheets are reporting it as heavy handed police vandalising a beauty spot to inflict their power on the downtrodden public.

Yes I read that story and raised an eyebrow. Retraction time and red faces all round it seems.

• Interesting stuff @arnos_grove. It reminds me of how many false facts become accepted generally, such as the (incorrectly) accepted history here in the States concerning Wall St bankers supposedly jumping out of windows en masse, when no such thing happened:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.history.com/.amp/news/stock-market-crash-suicides-wall-street-1929-great-depression

• Just watched a David Icke interview on the virus and it’s compelling viewing, you could see that he thinks the world is moving in his direction.

• Josh now posting on Instagram dressed all in black with hoddie claiming famous and powerful people to be arrested within the week, oh and buy yourself a serialiser ASAP. Is the club doctor able to do a home visit, probably not!

• I see this kind of posting as nonsense and I don't think more of Parker for posting it but it doesn't bother me and I'd not care to see him in trouble for it.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Josh now posting on Instagram dressed all in black with hoddie claiming famous and powerful people to be arrested within the week, oh and buy yourself a serialiser ASAP. Is the club doctor able to do a home visit, probably not!

Do you see other people posting about his posts?
    Or do you actually seek it out?
    As no disrespect from old malone, bur you must be about 40 years above the usual Instagram demographic!!

• I like to keep an open mind on things and welcome the sharing of alternative views however bizarre. If Josh is frozen out as a result of a Gasroom pile-on maybe Dominic Cummings might give him a trial.

• @Malone said:

@perfidious_albion said:
    Josh now posting on Instagram dressed all in black with hoddie claiming famous and powerful people to be arrested within the week, oh and buy yourself a serialiser ASAP. Is the club doctor able to do a home visit, probably not!

Do you see other people posting about his posts?
    Or do you actually seek it out?
    As no disrespect from old malone, bur you must be about 40 years above the usual Instagram demographic!!

I follow all the Wycombe squad who post on Instagram. Think you may be out of touch, as the Insta platform is no longer a ‘young persons’ medium. It is fascinating to see how our players train, diet, spend their down time. Bayo is prolific, unsurprisingly Darius is interesting and thoughtful, Nick F, Alex S, Maca share a lot of their faith / beliefs, Joe J shows family life. at least four other squad members post regularly. It all adds to the background of their characters and provides a peep over the wall into the squad which, frankly, the team management tend to be overly secretive about.

• edited April 2020

Well worth a watch just for some balance...

David Icke video removed