Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• We could fill the entire terrace with motivational quotes from bitter opposition fans.

• All the favourites from Mr Continental Football himself, Paul Lambertini. Came for a battle. Hit long balls to the big man. The referee.

I saw plenty of long ball and fouling from the Barcelona of East Anglia. And no shots on target despite the ’excellent’ performance.

So glad that dour sourpuss is not our manager.

• But we must return to the big story of the night. Matt Bloomfield substituted before the end. I assume @aloysius got word to Gareth?

• WHAT a team we have! 40 points in November and a 2.5 week break to R&R.

• We're on course for 92 points. Um, wow.

• A "special thing" is happening.

• Fantastic point. One minor negative- six yellows tonight. Are we due a fine?

• Thinking about it now, I feel Ipswich and Peterborough are the two best teams we've met so far and I'd expect them to be there or there about's come end of season. As for us............. well, who knows?

• The through ball to Wheeler for the penalty was from Freeman, the player that chopped him in half as he slid the ball through (good advantage played) was already on a yellow, so it was a penalty first, then the Ref should come back, booked the player for the foul on Freeman and sent him off

• Norwood's blatant miss was one of the worst I've ever seen from a striker in all my years of watching football. If he plays again it will be a farce.

(Oh, hang on - that only applies to referees)

• Wasn't it Jonacien, who we had briefly on loan form Aston Villa?

• Lambert raging. Beautiful.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Twitter users will be shocked to read that many Ipswich fans are describing us as ‘one of the worst teams I’ve seen at Portman Road’.

Anyone fancy a banner? ‘Welcome to Wycombe. One of the worst teams you’ll ever lose to’

I'd chip in for this without hesitation

• If you were an Ipswich fan I think you would have to be very disappointed with that. We let them have a lot of the ball and they did little with it to threaten Allsopp. Playing at home and needing the points to close the gap on us, they would hope to be piling on the pressure in the final ten mins but in fact we looked more likely to score.

I think Lambert may be right about the disallowed goal to be fair. Having said that, I think they were fortunate not to see a red card handed to a couple of players for poor tackles in the first half. Challenge on Blooms looked very high.

Lastly, good of the home support to give Blooms a proper round of applause when he came off. I think he only played for them once so a nice touch.

• What about that one touch passing move in injury time? Quite extraordinary

Thought we were great last night. Back four was amazing (I was delighted to have been wrong about Darius not being able to play two games in a week). Also, how well did Kashket play when he came on? What a pain he must be to play against

Looked and felt like a top two clash last night. We belong where we are

• Did he mention how they whacked nearly all their attacking free kicks straight in to the fans behind the goal? They'll need to put some nets up if their shooting is always that bad.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Another interesting piece of uselessness....The match was originally called off for international call ups to Georgiou Downes, Judge, Dobra and Dozzell....none whom actually played a minute tonight.

Now that is a joke, on behalf of anyone else who had to get time off, hotels, taxis etc this needs sorting, teams lucky enough to have good reserve sides full of U21 players can't have a free pass to move games every time their best striker is likely to be injured over international weekends , not when he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo anyway.

• Someone needs to tell Lambert that their goal changed nothing.

• Officials and inferior teams preventing promotion favourites and their superior players from having a shot on goal are ruining the game.

• Thought most of the comments on their forum were quite reasonable. “We are good at what we do” and the use of “shithousery” (I still like that word) appears to have moved to being almost complementary in context.

Most seem to be moaning about their own sides ineffectiveness and Lamberts lack of tactical nous.

Oh and the referee.

• @Twizz said:
    Wasn't it Jonacien, who we had briefly on loan form Aston Villa?

Yep and was awful for us.

• He also was very lucky to avoid a red card at the end of the 1st half, not that Lambert mentioned that

Being at a ground where stands are named after Alf Ramsay and Bobby Robson, what a contrast between Lambert's classless whining and the quiet dignity of those two gentlemen. He's not fit to share their legacy

• To be fair, he only played two games for us.

• A couple of enjoyable lines from the big man on commentary

For one of their crosses, "Whipped in"...and then instantly "whipped out"

• More eccentric refereeing last night. Control by cards only works if you are prepared to give the second one. Are we up for a fine now?

One question for the stats experts though. Much has been made of the no shots on target stat for Ipswich but where in the stats does the 'shot' that led to their disallowed goal go?

• edited November 2019

@Right_in_the_Middle said:
    One question for the stats experts though. Much has been made of the no shots on target stat for Ipswich but where in the stats does the 'shot' that led to their disallowed goal go?

For stats purposes, it doesn't exist - just like a 'save' from an offside player.

• None of the replays really prove it one way or another but I still reckon that "goal" was handball anyway.

If you watch the replay as soon as it passes that 2nd Ipswich player all of the Wycombe defenders and goalie go up touching their arms to indicate handball. It's an instant, spontaneous reaction from them and suggests to me at least that it probably did brush his arm.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:

@arnos_grove said:
    Twitter users will be shocked to read that many Ipswich fans are describing us as ‘one of the worst teams I’ve seen at Portman Road’.

Anyone fancy a banner? ‘Welcome to Wycombe. One of the worst teams you’ll ever lose to’

I'd chip in for this without hesitation

So would I. Self-depreciation (sort of) at its best.

• Assume you’re referring to Matt @Malione but I’ve no idea how tall he is. (I know he towers over me.)

• I reckon most of our bookings were fair last night by the way. Certainly Allsopp was always going to pick one up for timewasting at some point, and Bayo committed a lot of fouls before he was penalised.

My favourite one was Kashket's though. He covered so much distance to get over to the touchline and take their player out and give us the chance to regroup. Superb stuff from him and symptomatic of the team ethos we have these days