Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• It was the sight of Kashket having a massive deficit on JJ, and zooming past him like he wasn't moving that showed the pace he has.

But he's certainly bought into the need to work hard to get into the team.
    Though i still fear for him in challenges with those barely there shinpads he uses.

• @robin said:

@Twizz said:
    Wasn't it Jonacien, who we had briefly on loan form Aston Villa?

Yep and was awful for us.

To be fair, he was played out of position on at least one of the two occasions that @mooneyman refers to. He tore us apart when playing for Newport, can’t recall how he played against us for Accrington but he’s a very good right (wing) back - not as good as Grimmer or McCarthy of course.

• edited November 2019

@eric_plant said:
    None of the replays really prove it one way or another but I still reckon that "goal" was handball anyway.

If you watch the replay as soon as it passes that 2nd Ipswich player all of the Wycombe defenders and goalie go up touching their arms to indicate handball. It's an instant, spontaneous reaction from them and suggests to me at least that it probably did brush his arm.

My thoughts exactly, and Jackson may have been offside. If the linesman saw he was in an offside position , but didn't think he touched it and the ref saw that he did, or even he didn't but he was still judged to be interfering seeing as he's right in front of the keeper, then a conversation between them would always lead to an offside decision. Apparently the officials communications weren't working properly either which would explain the delay in making the decision.

The referee was shocking though, far too card and whistle happy. It completely killed the game with both teams having combative strikers who the referee had no idea how to handle.

For all their moaning, they could easily have been down to 10 in the first half for the shocking tackle on Blooms - Nolan looked happy to only get a yellow for that.

Then for our penalty (which was outside the area) they should have got two red cards. Clear second yellow for Donacien, and then a straight red for the centre half for pulling down Wheeler with no intent to play the ball.

• @mooneyman said:
    To be fair, he only played two games for us.

For a reason. Gaz tried him at centre back and right back, he looked like he had never played in defence before, or indeed football before. THE worst defender I have ever seen in the Quarters (& I was one of the few to witness Carlos Lopez!).

• @eric_plant said:
    None of the replays really prove it one way or another but I still reckon that "goal" was handball anyway.

If you watch the replay as soon as it passes that 2nd Ipswich player all of the Wycombe defenders and goalie go up touching their arms to indicate handball. It's an instant, spontaneous reaction from them and suggests to me at least that it probably did brush his arm.

I want to believe that as well. The one player that doesn’t however is Curtis Thompson who may have been the ‘culprit’, watch how he sheepishly walks towards half way rather than chase the ref with the others.
    But hey! we’ll never know. Onwards.

• @StrongestTeam said:

@thecatwwfc said:
    Another interesting piece of uselessness....The match was originally called off for international call ups to Georgiou Downes, Judge, Dobra and Dozzell....none whom actually played a minute tonight.

Now that is a joke, on behalf of anyone else who had to get time off, hotels, taxis etc this needs sorting, teams lucky enough to have good reserve sides full of U21 players can't have a free pass to move games every time their best striker is likely to be injured over international weekends , not when he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo anyway.

Yes, five top international stars there (needed a comma after Georgio) but presumably (unless injured or suspended) none of them considered good enough to play against the mighty Wycombe.

Two POTD candidates for the price of one.

• @micra said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@thecatwwfc said:
    Another interesting piece of uselessness....The match was originally called off for international call ups to Georgiou Downes, Judge, Dobra and Dozzell....none whom actually played a minute tonight.

Now that is a joke, on behalf of anyone else who had to get time off, hotels, taxis etc this needs sorting, teams lucky enough to have good reserve sides full of U21 players can't have a free pass to move games every time their best striker is likely to be injured over international weekends , not when he couldn't hit a barn door with a banjo anyway.

Yes, five top international stars there (needed a comma after Georgio) but presumably (unless injured or suspended) none of them considered good enough to play against the mighty Wycombe.

Two POTD candidates for the price of one.

It certainly didn't help Ipswich postponing the game. Their main striker, who had a niggle when it should have been played missed an absolute sitter, and they came across us top of the league and in good form.

• @Username said:

@eric_plant said:

I

For all their moaning, they could easily have been down to 10 in the first half for the shocking tackle on Blooms - Nolan looked happy to only get a yellow for that.

Then for our penalty (which was outside the area) they should have got two red cards. Clear second yellow for Donacien, and then a straight red for the centre half for pulling down Wheeler with no intent to play the ball.

Bad things are coming in 3s for Bloomfield! That's terrible challenges 3 games in a row now - 2 reds and 1 that could easily have been too.
    Following his 3 quick fire head injuries!

• I hope it's hat tricks next.

• @Malone said:

@Username said:

@eric_plant said:

I

Bad things are coming in 3s for Bloomfield! That's terrible challenges 3 games in a row now - 2 reds and 1 that could easily have been too.

The other red was on Grimmer.

• @chairboyscentral said:

@Malone said:

@Username said:

@eric_plant said:

I

The other red was on Grimmer.

Ahh. I'm mistaken.
    Did bloomy still get clattered? Or am i totally making one up?

• He didn't play in that game so he'd have done well to haha.

• The bed wetting in Suffolk is quite amusing. No mention of their inept finishing against a team that was inviting pressure, it's always easier to blame the ref. He had a shocker, though if Ipswich have pretensions of winning promotion this season and then compete in the championship next season, they looked a long way off the latter certainly last night.

Our lads put in an incredible shift, their commitment to the cause as well as the ability to organise themselves and positional discipline was great to see. The hysterics from opposition fans are a testament to how good a job we did at blunting their threat.

Also I thought our support of JJ at the end was fantastic, clearly he was distraught by having his good penalty saved and looked like he was deeply touched by the 800 travelling supporters singing his name. I have no doubt he'll stick away the next penalty we'll get.

• @eric_plant I mostly agree, although I didn't specifically understand Stewart's booking. Maybe what he did happened when i was watching the flight of the ball. My personal favourite was the reaction of Thompson to finally getting that long-threatened yellow, with the triple pirouette of angst.

• Stewart put his arm across the attacker's face I think, although he did make a right meal of it before getting up seemingly unhurt moments later.

I think it was Thompson's "Triple pirouette of angst" (tm) in reaction to the ref giving a free kick that actually earned him the booking. He may have been annoyed but you couldn't argue that wasn't a show of dissent

• I think Sido may have been coaching Curtis in how to show the full seven stages of grief in a single gesture.

• Good point Eric - it was indeed the reaction to the free kick, not the card. My mistake. Still funny how he was desperately angry, yet tried to keep it bottled up, but was somehow not quite able to. Like a coke bottle that you forgot you dropped earlier, and can't quite get the lid screwed back on in time.

• edited November 2019

It was a harsh free kick at a key point of the game, so i'm not surprised he was frustrated.

It looked like he'd got his body in the way of the ball, and their man clattered into the back of him and then go down. I am biased though.

Also, while it was good effort from Kashket getting back, clattering their man was horribly rash, and gave a free kick away in a dangerous position. You could see JJ told him as much too.

• There must be about five spittle covered threads about the game last night on the Ipswich forum. Is there an award for the most threads about the same game started on a fan forum. I think Sunderland had about three or four. Apparently, we were long-ball, nasty, time-wasting, cheating, influencing the officials...perhaps someone can tell me what the Ipswich players were doing while we were busy. Not altering their tactics, creating chances or scoring goals it seems. I hope we beat them on New Year's Day now.

• @Wendoverman said:
    There must be about five spittle covered threads about the game last night on the Ipswich forum. Is there an award for the most threads about the same game started on a fan forum. I think Sunderland had about three or four. Apparently, we were long-ball, nasty, time-wasting, cheating, influencing the officials...perhaps someone can tell me what the Ipswich players were doing while we were busy. Not altering their tactics, creating chances or scoring goals it seems. I hope we beat them on New Year's Day now.

Five? There's about 20 different ones about last night, us in general and various moans!

They have some exceptionally well rounded posters, who laugh at the deluded idiots calling us long ball, when they hit plenty.
    Or when they're celebrating stopping us scoring, yet barely troubled us, despite sh!Tloads of pressure.

I enjoyed the talk of how we'd struggle if we went up a division. Wasn't that what they said from league 2 to 1?!

• Ipswich have just been described as our "title rivals" on the highlights show. We should not be hearing things like that. When is this going to stop feeling silly?!

• I enjoyed the talk of how we'd struggle if we went up a division. Wasn't that what they said from league 2 to 1?!

Indeed we are a nothing team (worthy of 25 separate threads to say this) who will not go up and if we do we will not stay up.

• The lack of balance is incredible in football fans.

Do they not think that we may just go a bit cautious when facing the favourites for the title away from home?
    We very nearly pulled off the perfect away performance.

• @Wendoverman said:
    There must be about five spittle covered threads about the game last night on the Ipswich forum. Is there an award for the most threads about the same game started on a fan forum. I think Sunderland had about three or four. Apparently, we were long-ball, nasty, time-wasting, cheating, influencing the officials...perhaps someone can tell me what the Ipswich players were doing while we were busy. Not altering their tactics, creating chances or scoring goals it seems. I hope we beat them on New Year's Day now.

did you not before?

• of course not @eric_plant I was hoping we would lose 8 - 0 but playing the right way...

• you've made the right decision

• Not sure if this has been posted, but 2 lads (vloggers?) were in our end and produced a entertaining video. It's on for just over 10 minutes.

• That video captures the atmosphere and excitement among younger fans which is good to see (and hear). Watching on a “device” or, for those with the smart version, TV is good but just nowhere near as good as actually being there.

• @micra said:
    That video captures the atmosphere and excitement among younger fans which is good to see (and hear). Watching on a “device” or, for those with the smart version, TV is good but just nowhere near as good as actually being there.

Some folk challenge the ‘passion’ of such lads finding in contrived. Truth is we need many more of this generation at Adams Park to keep generating atmosphere / sustainability.
    Just look at any footage of kids dancing to DJ’s in clubs these days, they go mental. A far cry from Tuesdays disco above the bus station back in the day.
    “Limbs / Scenes / S#!thouseary” as da youff may intone.