Skip to content

Match day thread: Ipswich

Comments

• @Malone said:

@Pogo said:
    BIG cojones Wycombe, great point.

Why did the ref not book their defender after he awarded the penalty? Bizarre

Exactly this. Was a bizarre aberration, as if the ref thought they'd had enough punishment, so just ignored the rules. Ignored the pretty late foul on Gape (I think) about 5seconds before too.

There's no red & pen combo now (unless deemed a non legit attempt for the ball) but you have to still yellow for that sort of foul, and then it's a second so a red.

Ah yeah, forgot about that. Like I say, refereeing ineptitude of the highest order. I still can't work out why their goal was disallowed. Oh well!

• Only watched the 2nd half. Very good point, I did feel we were perhaps a little too reserved, but then it sounded from the radio commentary like we were hanging on rather at times in the 1st half. We certainly finished the game strongly and had a few other chances to have won it asides from the penalty. Such a shame Kashket was taken down, as he was going round the keeper and on his left foot would have scored I'm sure

Their crowd seemed very frustrated. I do kind of understand their frustrations with Allsop, but honestly, the Ipswich keeper was taking ages over his goal kicks as well. Odd to see us upping the tempo and actually hurrying to take throw ins and free kicks towards the end when we started to get on top!

With regards the 'shithousery' hmmmm, have to say I thought their players were more than adept at 'winning' free kicks! The referee seemed to suss them out towards the end though and stopped giving them free kicks every time they threw themselves to the ground.

• @Shev said:
    I think his name just makes it funnier.

Imagine going to football and carrying a name like Luke Friend when the Inbetweeners was at its peak no wonder he’s so angry

• I think we certainly proved again tonight that we can mix it with the big teams.

You can't just go storming in with all out attack, so we got the lineup spot on.

Wonder if we might give the lads a week off, a really rare chance to get them totally refreshed, and then they'll still have a week and a half to get going again?

Fred should at least be very close after the break too.

• Managing this 'winter break' will be key, but I'm sure Gaz has a plan.

• Yeah good points on the lack of a card for the penalty. Kashket was blatantly hauled down as he was rounding the keeper. I appreciate that in the area, a professional foul is no longer a red card, but surely it's still a booking? Seemed to be quite a few soft bookings for both sides, so bizarre he was so lenient there!

• Wouldn’t it be great if the club could take the players off to somewhere warm and sunny for a week like Brian Clough used to do in the old days. They would come back refreshed from something like that. What a great point tonight!!!

• Not a single shot on target at home.

Got to feel sorry for Ipswich fans having to watch that every week.

• Grumpy then, grumpy now.

• Stay classy Paul

• Can someone more savvy than me link in the tweet from James Norwood before he uses his brain and deletes it!
    Guaranteed fine slating the ref like that!

• "This is a big club to that referee." Us or them?

• edited November 2019

Click on that photo, see how much the media guy is enjoying being in Lambert's presence.

• Was torture watching the sky app commentary, saw the pen awarded and then had to wait three minutes for the next text to come through and find out it was saved.....grrrrrrrr.
    Great point though, five points clear of Ipswich and nine points clear of third. Happy days!

• So proud of this Wycombe team. They all put everything on the line for that shirt tonight and you can't ask for much more. Charles would walk through brick walls and Bayo is so effective at what we use him for!

• Five and nearly a half game without conceding. What a defensive run!

• Another interesting piece of uselessness....The match was originally called off for international call ups to Georgiou Downes, Judge, Dobra and Dozzell....none whom actually played a minute tonight.

• edited November 2019

Norwood is right about the ref's performance, but what was the penalty shout for them that he's on about?

• I see it was Wheeler taken down for the penalty, rather than Kashket. Still can't see how no card was shown

• @chairboyscentral said:
    Norwood is right about the ref's performance, but what was the penalty shout for them that he's on about?

The Jacobson "handball" in the first half I think

• @Wycombe85 said:
    I see it was Wheeler taken down for the penalty, rather than Kashket. Still can't see how no card was shown

Wasn't it Gape?

• It was Wheeler, would have been worried had Gape been bursting through on goal like that!

• @chairboyscentral said:
    It was Wheeler, would have been worried had Gape been bursting through on goal like that!

Haha. Yeah true. To be fair I watched the game but just went by what skysports said re: Gape

• I like wheeler a lot. I think he's going to.be one of the unsung heroes of the season myself.

• Twitter users will be shocked to read that many Ipswich fans are describing us as ‘one of the worst teams I’ve seen at Portman Road’.

Anyone fancy a banner? ‘Welcome to Wycombe. One of the worst teams you’ll ever lose to’

• Paul Lambert, who's generating enough steam to power a train, thinks that Ipswich were "excellent" and "should have won the game".