Skip to content

Politics thread

1151617181921»

Comments

• Physician associates are cheaper than GPs aren’t they? Why else would they be used?

And I don’t think in general (on the doctor side) there is a distinct line between public and private healthcare professionals, they tend to be the same doctors doing both public and private work.

• Why else would they be used?

They also help meeting diversity targets.

• Great post. I've been trying to say something similar on here for a while.

• Ainsworth for England

• No enthusiasm for the King's Speech?

• Overrated film, though the Aussie bloke was quite good.

• Nick freeman

• This takes me back to my late teens. Twenty odd years later I looked a lot like Sellers and could do most of the voices.

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=GGBBmLj15JQ&si=fiuCSB9cMDkE_oFU

The speech (content and message at least) hasn’t changed much in the meantime.

• Talking of Peter Sellers and politics, Being There is a great film and feels more and more prescient with each American election.

• Fash march/ drinking session organised in High Wycombe tomorrow, worrying times

• Good news for local coke dealers at least.

I just about remember the NF getting run out of town in the late70s/early 80s.

• Being There is one of my all time favourite films. I just set it up for the kids to watch in the car on a long journey next week.

• I remember seeing it as a child and it having a profound effect on me, but I haven’t seen it since.

I’ll try and track it down this weekend I think.

• edited August 2

I'm All Right Jack might give them a more realistic Sellers-infused idea of how the world works.

Though Dr. Strangelove might be more appropriate the way things are going.

• By the look of it Yaxley Lennon's stormtroopers numbered about 6 in town today.

• Interestingly, most places they were outnumbered about 10:1 by locals/counter protestors or, as here in Dover, failed to show up at all.

This after Tice & Fanage dog whistled across the media, claiming to speak for the majority yada-yada-yada - of course that is just pure hyperbole on their part as clearly shown by communities in Liverpool, Sunderland, Harlepool, Nottingham etc today.

• Some time ago, before Joe Biden dropped out, I had a bet on Kamala Harris to be the next US President at 10/1, while Trump was very short odds-on.

Following the latest polls, Harris is now odds-on favourite at 10/11, while the orange man-baby has drifted to 21/20.

I can cash out now for a decent profit, but will let it ride while he continues to self-destruct.

• We're still very early in what's set to be a vicious and ugly race - the pace will step up with the DNC in Chicago in 10 days' time, but won't really hit full speed until after Labor Day - September 2. You'll then have a two-month sprint to the election with at least one more Head-to-Head candidate Debate, a VP debate and wall to wall candidate events. Traditionally there's been an 'October Surprise' - think Comey - that will knock one or other candidate, and with Trump involved, there will be absolutely no holds barred in dragging this contest to the depths - and then probably deeper.

Harris has built strong momentum so far, and her pick of Walz as a running mate has added some real-world normality against the 'weird' ticket of Trump/Vance. But she's yet to be tested in debate or by the media - so don't get too complacent yet. I suspect she'll hold her own with Trump. What she may be more worried about is economic and foreign policy headwinds. US elections are won and lost on the economy: this week's stock market blip will have flashed warning signs to the Dem camp, and it's fertile ground for the party not in power to drop all kinds of accusations on the incumbents. Also, Israel/Gaza remains a thorn and one where Harris-the-candidate needs to put some distance between her position and that of Biden, while Harris-the-VP needs to be wholly supportive of the Biden Administration.

When Biden dropped out, Republicans will have hoped the Democrat campaign would descend into 1968-like chaos. Instead, there's more than the whiff of a 2008 vibe.

Still many twists and turns though before we reach November 5.

• I’d be tempted to cash out. Looking at the direction of travel of the US economy I have the (horrible) feeling Trump will win reasonably comfortably .

• You may be right. it’s perfect timing for Trump to blame four years of democratic mismanagement without needing to offer a coherent policy of his own and claim a “radical left” ticket will hand America over to “woke” fanatics and immigrants who will empty American purses even further.

Get Walz out with Harris. He speaks well, seems charming and sad though it is, may appeal to voters Harris may struggle to reach.