Skip to content

Watford Friendly July 30th

Comments

• Seem to remember he had a great chance to win it right at the death.

• I renewed season tickets in the Frank Adams Stand for my wife and I for this coming season. Could not book for our seats in the stand as it is closed for the Watford game. The reason I have tickets for this stand is I enjoy the elevated view to watch patterns of play, player movements etc. I contacted the club and was advised that the stand would not be open due to lack of interest in the game shown by supporters. At this time. I cannot see how this can be true considering the game is over a month away. The opposition is a side geographically close to High Wycombe and from the Championship. My neighbour is a season ticket holder at Watford. He intends to attend the game with two additional family members. The ticket prices for this fixture are reasonable. I cannot speak for other Wycombe fans but was looking forward to this game to see new players, any change in tactics before the competitive games start. We will not be attending the game, that’s £30 saved for the tickets and parking.

• The view from the top of the away end is one of the best in the whole ground. Why not get tickets from Watford and try something new?

• Mr. Floyd, thanks for the advice.

• I have given up on this matter

we get the FA shut for every game where the club says there is insufficient interest to open it despite the fact that people constantly say they won’t come because it’s shut

I have yet to get an answer on the minimum uptake for the opening of it to be viable.

expect poor crowds at fa cup and league cup home games as a consequence.

• edited June 30

Surely the decision not to open the FA for the Watford fixture stems from staffing costs - additional stewards, kiosk staff etc. It makes sense for it to be the last stand to be opened within the ground for a fixture (not in the league) that we expect an uptake that is lower than usual.

• "People constantly say"

How many?

Do you not think they'd like the extra money if it was practical?

• edited July 1

If your support for the club only stretches as far as being able to sit in The White Elephant then so be it but the commercial reality is that stand is on borrowed time (as is the valley end) - expensive to run and now barely fit for purpose. Had we fallen on harder times in lower leagues it would have been permanently ‘mothballed’ by now.

• but no one ever answers that question!

if we told then there is a basis for discussion.

of course it has to be viable but i resent the “don’t argue we know best attitude” on this matter

in answer to another point if they shut that stand permanently I would cease to come even after 54 years

don’t see that happening however last time I looked we were apparently having aspirations to move into the championship

• I think you may be confusing this forum with somewhere else. Nobody on here can answer that question as nobody knows the costs involved in opening the stand, or has surveyed the supporter base. The club almost certainly know better than us on this one and are charged with running the club not setting discussion points.

Haven't heard any suggestions of closing the stand permanently even on here, quite the opposite.

• @Mr67 the first 26 years of your support must have been tough with no FA stand to sit in. Did you anticipate those lofty heights by being one of the tree climbers up on the hillside pre build? And presumable at Loakes Park you watched from the hospital roof, swapping ends at half time up onto the gas holder?

• edited July 1

a rather facetious reply from you imo

of course you seem to overlook the fact that for the first 29 years of my support (1967–1996 is 29 years ) I was a little younger than I am now.The seats in the old stand are very cramped for my 6 foot plus frame doing my knees which have seen younger days not much good. Also I find it difficult to stand on a terrace for that length of time.

I am fortunate that despite my advancing years I am reasonably fit. There are many others who sit in the Frank Adams stand who enjoy both the view and the comfort who are worse off than me.

I do not and should not make a comment on those who wish to occupy the other two sides of the ground that is a question of choice.those of us who you normally occupy the Frank Adams stand either through choice or necessity are not given that option again

this is our only home friendly and against a local championship side

it is the school holidays and a chance to get a good size crowd in the ground

an opportunity missed imo

• Facetiousness requires the flippant comments to be made about a serious subject, which this really isn’t. I’d settle for supercilious if you needed to have a pop at me.

• I have made my points

interesting that you make light of the health conditions of fellow supporters.

• I thought I had closed this down and I’m sure it is getting boring for everyone else but cannot ignore the above. To accuse me of making light of others health conditions is, at best, plain wrong. Show me the evidence or apologise.

• I have made my point.

I explained the difficulties that myself and other supporters have been trying to watch football in other parts of the ground.

your reply was in your words “supercilious “

You will not get an apology from me.

you will not get an apology from me.

I suggest we agree to disagree

as the phrase goes, I will not enter into any further correspondence on this matter

• Bring in Bargie to mediate!

• edited July 10

Hope the argey bargey above was amicably resolved without the need for the ultimate bargey to intervene!

Smiled at the announcement below, on the official website, about ticket prices for the Watford punch-up (sorry, Friendly) and the statement that Watford supporters are available.

Think they meant able.

• Edited to include the bloody statement !!

• Not worth starting a new thread for but today's friendly.....

We’re at Harlington for our behind-closed-doors practice match against Colchester United (2 x 60 minutes).

First half XI: Bishop, Grimmer, Harvie, Low, Hartridge, Bakinson, Ward, Butcher, McCleary, Lubala, Udoh.

• We lead 1-0 - Udoh with the goal, Lubala with the assist.

• Good to see Ward getting a start, shows he's not totally out of the picture

• The lack of watchable local friendlies, which has been the trend over the last few seasons, is really disappointing.

Understand why it's more practical for all involved to play Col U behind closed doors, but miss the days of a Saturday afternoon on a random park hidden away in Bucks watching new signings squashed into a makeshift dugout.

• HT: The first hour comes to a close with Wycombe 1-0 ahead. Dan Udoh has nobly conceded that the goal was an own goal, rather than his, as the ball was bundled home from Bez Lubala’s cross. Strong showing with plenty of chances created.

• edited July 20

Used to look forward to friendlies when you had a big name club sending a team. Like Chelsea, Arsenal, Villa etc.

Now premier teams seem to be more obsessed with money laden trips abroad, the best bet is a championship team. Which personally isn't much interest.

I know a lot of people like having a string of attendable friendlies though .

• 2025's pre-season in Astana, Almaty and Aktobe is going to get a few complaints.

• edited July 20

No triallists in today's squad.

2nd half team has Jack Young in it. So he's not out of the picture either.

Ravizzoli, Pattenden, McCarthy, Skura, Tafazolli, Scowen, Leahy, Wheeler, Sadlier, Bartolo, Kone.

Hanlan and Vokes are both not in the squad - wonder if they're still not fit

• We’re back underway for the second hour

XI: Ravizzoli, Pattenden, McCarthy, Skura, Tafazolli, Scowen, Leahy, Wheeler, Sadlier, Bartolo, KONE.

• I don’t think we’ll see Hanlan till October. Someone mentioned Vokes has been absent from the last couple of training ground videos the club have put out, can’t read too much into that, but it’d be awful if he’s already hurt.

• Or could be having an extended break ahead of the new season to spend time with his family.