Skip to content

League One 2024/25

With the lower reaches of the Championship turning into a total dog-fight and an interesting set of teams in the League Two playoffs, what's the reckon and/or wishlist for clubs we are likely to be playing against next year?

For me, I'm pretty happy to be seeing all of the top three in League Two joining us for the year, reckon the celebrity value from north Wales would make for an interesting away day and Mansfield did us a favour all those years ago to the chagrin of everyone's favourite west-country Rovers, so they are always welcome. Of the play-off sides, Barrow would be a new one albeit the total arse-end of the Lakes.

Of the Championship sides, simply wouldn't like to see Millwall, nasty. Love Loftus Rd as a stadium, they could happily come join in my book. Trip to St Andrews would be nice too and seems more than likely. Pick seems to be Blackburn Rovers though - I'm not the keenest WWFC historian but I cannot recall our having met them previously. Is that so?

Comments

• We played Blackburn in the Championship

• edited April 12

That was our first Championship away game. Charles sent off, lost 5-0.

• My only.hope for the L2 promotion contest is that Franchise lose.

• Wrexham will be a good addition, might get us on the telly.

• Doh, yeah, the Championship season. I claim general Covid amnesia.

• Blackburn as a previous premier league winner, but actually being able to get into the game this time would be good.

Though they'll surely stay up.

• Really want Wrexham to stay down, fed up with all the fawning, people mistakenly think they're a big club.

Probably won't get that wish though.

• edited April 12

I like Wrexham. Yeah, the coverage is a bit exaggerated, but it's hard not to warm to the owners imo.

• All the north west clubs please! Wrexham, Stockport, Crewe, Barrow, Blackburn, Huddersfield (perhaps not north west) would all be welcome and are ticks for me.

• edited April 12

Everton, Hull, Barrow & Harrogate are the only league teams we've not played (I think)?

Someone will correct me I'm sure.

• We have played Hull in the league.

Newcastle, Salford, Crystal Palace? Arsenal Man U

• I think we played Palace waaaaay back

• Dean Windass scoring one of the best ever goals at AP

• We played Barrow in the conference as well

• Arsenal

Everton

Man U

Newcastle

Salford

We have played all other 91 League Clubs in a League or Cup game.

Crystal Palace we played in their inaugural season in Southern League Division 2. They finished top, we finished bottom. We played them on Jan 6th at Loakes Park, losing 4-1 and away at Crystal Palace on 14th April losing 4-0. The away game was played at the ground that hosted the FA Cup Final from 1895 until 1914.

• edited April 12

They are definitely marmite. I am with @NewburyWanderer and can't stand them, especially since they "made an example" of Acrringtion and showed they have already forgotten the lower league struggle. There have already been signs of arrogance with the owners too, such as scheduling the players to be in a commercial in the middle of training without letting the coaching staff know up front.

I also think people like Deadpool, more than the owners themselves. If Reynolds made Bulgarian black and white art house movies, Wrexham would be far less popular.

Either way, they are going to end up in a spot where the cost of the "romance" will be eye watering losses - that is when it will get interesting!

• They already have eye watering losses.

By the end of this season the club will owe the actors around £15M. The money is not a gift but in loan form.

• With Wrexham there will come a point where the sort of money that they are flashing about isn't going to automatically put them at the top end of the league and League One I feel will be that point. Whether the US online audience will remain when they aren't winning every week but are instead being treated to a less than elegant physical battle by Rotherham or Stevenage remains to be seen - I suspect they will find that side of the game less interesting and find the next form of entertainment, but this being such a new phenomenon it will be interesting to see quite how it pans out and I for one am looking forward to simply seeing this story unfold.

• Ideally we need to get rid of as many “big clubs” as possible, to help our promotion chances.

Imagine Posh, Lincoln and Pompey went up.

Birmingham and Stoke or Blackburn came down with Rotherham. Even Huddersfield and Sheff Weds.

We still had Derby, Bolton, Reading (if they get sold and are free to spend), Charlton, Barnsley, Wigan and Blackpool.

Add Wrexham and Stockport, you’ve got some traditionally big clubs.

In that scenario, I think top 10 would be incredible.

• Wigan and PNE we met in tier four, the year after we had Birmingham, Hull, Swansea and Cardiff in our division. We also had clubs who at the time weren't considered that massive - Bournemouth, Brentford, Brighton - all of those are semi-permanent fixtures a couple of divisions above now so other clubs get supplanted and sink lower. I can't see this division ever being without at least half a dozen of those such clubs.

•  If Reynolds made Bulgarian black and white art house movies, Wrexham would be far less popular.

Not on here.

• Barrow & Harrogate I included as we haven't played them when they had league status. I didn't include Crystal Palace as we played their U21s in the EFL Trophy, I also thought we'd played Arsenal U21s.

As for missing the others - poor performance, I should have thought harder.

• Good luck to Wrexham I say, apart from when they play us. I am sure we wouldn’t turn their investors away and they have also reinvigorated the Wrexham area.

• Yeah I've got nothing against Wrexham tbh.

Tbh I don't care what happens in League 2... as long as MK don't come up !

• Still thank that is probably the best goal I have ever seen live.

• Next year is potentially looking pretty good for local away trips, so…

Sheff Wed, Rotherham and Huddersfield down please

and

Stockport, Mansfield (can live with Wrexham) and a late dash into the play-offs from Doncaster (on a 7 game winning streak at the moment)