Skip to content

Reading offer Bearwood training ground to Wycombe

Comments

• edited August 19

Though the very idea of "Reading owner builds access road for Wycombe because he said 'scout's honour' when promising to do it" is rather amusing.

• If you can't trust a Republican New Orleans lawyer who can you trust?

• edited August 20

Pretty sure Gareth Ainsworth doesn’t live in Reading. Nearby village surely.

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/24527456.wycombe-wanderers-legend-heaps-praise-reading-fc-boss/

• Why would Rob still have any obligation at all to WWFC on these matters? It's a bit like asking if Ainsworth has got any plans to secure us another centre back.

• It would most likely be used in a reduced form to start with/when crowds die down after an initial buzz. What would I would hope is that the Trust negotiated a "poison pill" clause in the deal with Feliciana (assuming Lomtadze took over Feliciana rather his own vehicle having bought the shares from Feliciana) where money had to be set aside to allow the Trust to form a phoenix club should WWFC be wound up.

• edited August 20

The fact the trust own the ground and a small percentage means a few things, it's not always black and white that we'd be full on with ML or bust, could be any scenario where ownership changes hands. Most prospective new owners would be looking for support and stability, they have someone outside the owner they can discuss things with who know how things work and have easy access to information and the fans. Many outgoing owners are real pricks about getting back money put in by controlling and basically extorting the value of the ground out of new owners or administrators before they clear off, if ML loses a load of money it's on him and he can't expect much back. Trust ownership also opens up options for a new owner to buy 51% and someone else or a group of people to buy the rest... and significantly it gives trust approved new owners somewhere to play, and in a worse case scenario gives the trust something they can sell to fund whatever new looks like.

•  if ML loses a load of money it's on him and he can't expect much back.

If ML lost 100 million on his Wycombe dream it would still be less than 2% of his current wealth. I think he can take the hit.

How he'd actually lose 100 million is anyone's guess. New stadium? Gold toilets? Switching the beer from Rebellion to Camden?

• Setting up a category 1 academy based in London

• If he got us anywhere near to staying in the championship or looking at the Prem, unlikely as it is , you could lose that in one summer. He could also sell us to someone without a pot to piss in tomorrow and we'd have no say in that.

• Isn't that the reality of football club ownership. What is the alternative? We have proven that trust ownership doesn't work.

• Whereas Exeter City have proved it does.

• Don't disagree, just pointing out for someone who asked how the trust ground ownership could potentially help in certain circumstances.

The only real fix for the current model / speculation is controls around how much of the TV money can be used on transfers and how much needs to be spent on the club but the owners will never vote for it.

Gary Neville was basically bemoaning clubs going up to the Prem squirrelling away money for things like paying debt and protecting the future, makes it very dull for them if promoted teams don't risk it all to stay up.

• I'd argue they have the advantage of a much less competitive catchment area to run an academy out of.

• They do but Plymouth are investing in significantly upgrading their academy facilities and will provide significant competition going forward. I suspect Exeter will be concerned especially as I understand their young talent conveyor best has dried up a little.

Its probably an academic question as no way at present of bringing it about but if the last few years have not given people reason to doubt the sustainability of a trust owned model at WWFC, I do wonder what they have been watching in the last decade or so. Question as someone pointed out above is in the event of a phoenix club being required, whether that club would be able to afford to operate out of Adams Park. :Lets hope we never have to find out.

• That's interesting about Plymouth, thanks for the insight Dev. I do think Exeter will have to bow to the inevitable sooner or later and sell up.

Football just gets more and more loopy. As I said on another thread, L1 suddenly seems like it could become Champo-lite with the amount of money sloshing around.

• The Plymouth academy plans if you are interested. Whether it will get built remains o be seen especially if they drop back into Lg1.

Plymouth Argyle submit plans for massive £21 million Brickfields redevelopment - Plymouth Live (plymouthherald.co.uk)

• I’ve not thumbed, @DevC. I’m here simply to comment that ‘proven’, an adjective, seems to have superseded almost universally and remarkably quickly the past tense of the verb ‘to prove’.

Haaland is a proven goalscorer. Kone has proved that he can score goals at League 1 level. That sounds right to me but that’s probably because I’ve spent the best part of eighty years hearing, reading and expressing those words in that way. But, as I’m regularly reminded on here, language develops continuously. Of course it does - I know that all too well as a linguist myself - but sometimes it seems to do so in a rather arbitrary way.

I know that I am ludicrously sensitive to such microscopically trivial linguistic shifts and I hate the fact that something inside compels me to comment. There are hundreds of examples daily of hugely more blatant desecrations of the English language (eg ‘gonna’ is now lazily used by all and sundry instead of ‘going to) but, I really must face it, life’s too short !!

Time to switch off, relax and look forward to what should be an interesting contest darn in sarf Lunnon.

Gotta get the sausage and mash cooked first.

• The supporter-owned model struggles to compete in environments where the money spent on players is increasingly divorced from the money actually coming into a club through its turnover. Every man and his dog has been shaking their collective head at the amount of losses being racked up by professional football clubs for decades now, wondering when the house of cards will fall in. When it does, supporters trusts will have to pick up the pieces and muck out the stables.

• edited August 20

Just be glad you're well out of the work force.

Your mind would be blown if you saw how low the general level of spelling and grammar is these days.

• My daughter, who is as pedantic as I am, terrorises her work colleagues by returning emails to them with spelling / grammar mistakes crossed out in red, and the correct text inserted.

Fortunately, she's the boss of her department.

• I’m as pedantic as the next man, but that kind of behaviour won’t help staff turnover!

• Does she tolerate people using too many commas?

• I, am the first, to admit, I overuse, commas.

• edited August 20

Unfortunately, all of the people that work under her probably think she’s a bit of a dick and instead of wasting her time being such a pedant to them all, could add (some?more?) value to the department she’s running.

Edit: unless she’s a teacher. And the department is the English one of the local school.

• I’m as pedantic as @micra but I actually like and respect the people who work for me.

• You respect them so much that they work ‘for’ you and not ‘with’ you