Skip to content

Reading offer Bearwood training ground to Wycombe

Comments

• I wonder if Wycombe can save Reading for a second time…

• Maybe we could generously offer to take Lewis Wing off their wage bill.

• That failed investor better go into hiding or he will find stickers all over his front door.

• The investor has escaped!!! At least he's left some bedsheets we can use......

• This is still all going to be our fault, of course.

• Where has this actually been reported? I've not seen it in local media or any forums.

• Have a look at Jamie Hodder on X. A lot of speculation on there about what’s going on but no real facts

• I can't say that Twitter feed strikes me as being "ITK". Given the lack of discussion about it even from notoriously/understandably hair-trigger Reading fans, it isn't unduly worrying anyone around these parts.

• Well that thread heading led me in under false pretences!

• I would normally feel so much heartache for fans of a club who were on the verge of going out of business. Bury was horrid. I have chucked money in the bucket for more than more club to help save them. But F Reading. Their sense of entitlement is what got them where they are today. And as soon as there was a sense of the saga being over they were planning the promotion victory parade. The abuse aimed at Pete (when it should have been Rob and our new owners) was absolutely BS. And the pathetic stickers and bedsheet protests - oh please. All of this supported by public figures with statement like 'get back to our rightful place in the Premier League'. You have cheated to the tune of £100m.

• There is lots of talk about it on their forum. The post is called Takeover (NOT) Confirmed. Skip to the last few pages. Some suggestion on there that the person on twitter who reported it is generally correct.

• Also, not sure if it’s been posted on here but they’ve recently been fined £200k.

https://hobnob.royals.org/news/1113/Club_And_Howe_Fined_For_Olise_Negotiations

• Hopefully they will get the deal done. I know they have some horrible fans but to be honest, every team seems to have them.

I just can’t support anyone wanting a club to go out of business, as clubs at our level mean so much to the community, even if some local councils haven’t worked that out yet.

• I don't want to see them go out of business, just to wake the f up as to the reason for their plight. And it's not cos someone pumped £100m into the business and failed. It is because of their insatiable desire to be a top flight team. And let's face it most of the bad blood about the training ground was not because they didn't want to lose it, most of it was because little sh1tty Wycombe shouldn't have a nice training ground. So all the snide remarks about our training facility were so ill thought out. They showed a training ground that a team with our resources could finance. Their resources couldn't afford to rent a pitch on The Rye let alone a lakeside elite training complex.

• I can get on board with the criticism about the lashing out about Bearwood, even if I understand how keenly felt the blow might have been the actions of those involved was abhorrent. The bedsheet thing was very bottom-tier affair, not the standard you would have expected from a top flight fanbase.

I think that the criticism laid at the fans for going along with the overspending is a little unfair, it was not their hand on the tiller and their approval was never sought, just as they remain powerless now. Blaming the fans for the perfectly natural desire of wishing to move up the tiers seems a little crass, even it is true that the element that we hear from generally seem to be quite obnoxious and not very good at identifying cause and effect.

• Likewise however, some of the shit our fanbase got from their fanbase was ridiculous - just like they don’t have any say in the decisions that their board makes, we don’t have any (bar a small percentage) say in ours. I received a few messages from some of my Reading supporting mates and you would have thought it was me buying the training ground.

• Blaming the fans for wanting to move up the league would be crass, but blaming the fans for their ignorant, dangerous and malicious response to Feliciana's interest in buying Bearwood is perfectly justified.

• What? All of them?

• I should think *all of them* will be celebrating if they write off their debts and get promoted next season a la Derby.

• I disagree about fans. Fans form the identity of the club even if they can't control the purse strings. I might be biased but I think we have reacted to victory and failure in the past few years with calm measure. Our heroes are more likely to be JJ than a snarling arrogant goalscorer. We set the tone of our club and the owners respond, I would like to believe. We reacted to failure v Sunderland with good grace and no sense that we had been wronged and a rabid demand to recruit and win at all costs. Our managers over the past decade have been largely responsible for that tone and I don't doubt the new owners will be aware of that.

• Ed_Ed_
    edited May 22

By 'we' you presumably are referring to the Gasroom and the general tone set here. Fans of other clubs might not necessarily refer to The Gasroom at all or if they do they may or may not consider it to be more or less representative of the whole than the Facebook community or whatever happens on Twitter or X. So quite where this identity is formed is in the eye of the beholder, where exactly are they to go for their high moral standard? Kipper or DevC?

Whether or not we used to have influence in the distant past, I don't recall us having any influence over the recent transaction between the Couhigs and Mr L nor do I think we have a hotline to the same; I don't think our relationship with our owners implies any similar level of influence between other clubs and their owners, it seems a very strange parallel to imply.

• Im thankfully not on Facebook and my X algorithm protects me from a lot of this BS maybe. But I would say that largely speaking the fans at the match have, regardless of results, in recent years turned on managers or players. Even the worst performances have been greeted with muted boos. And the shock reaction to these boos shows how rare it is.

That’s pretty rare to me. And I’m a fan. Is it down to having a squad and management of guys you genuinely empathise with ? Instead of overpaid win at all cost mercenaries?

Anyway. Why haven’t we signed anyone ?

• ‘We’ are all Wycombe supporters tho aren’t we? So yes, in some ways the kid who bangs his drum relentlessly, the lunatics who wanted GA fired after every poor run of form, the kids on Twitter who think we should sign Mbappe all represent us every bit as much as the classiest Gasroomer.

• That's my point Floyd, there's good and bad and in between throughout each and every club, our own and every other. Regardless of the particularly lively ones on social media, that doesn't make them responsible for the ills of the owners. I've no love of Reading but I will not cheer on their demise or consider the fans at fault even if some of them are berks.

• Maybe when @Shev's Best Ground poll is over, he could do one to find out the classiest Gasroomer?

• @MindlessDrugHoover Depending on how the groups are drawn, I can't wait for the 'glasshalf' derby...