Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Cheltenham

Comments

• edited February 27

It would be fantastic if we did. Only MON and GA have ever finished above 11th in L1. Can you imagine if Blooms wins at Wembley and then has the 3rd highest personal watermark for a Wycombe manager despite everything?

P.S. - not including Blooms' 9th place finish last season for obvious reasons.

• I watched at home tonight, not feeling great so not keen to sit in the cold for 2 hours. But the club got an extra £10 from me on top of my season ticket money.

• I am definitely getting football wrong. I thought that was a good League One game with two teams needing the points and we deserved to win it. I was entertained.

• Very happy with that win. Not a great performance, but decent enough and plenty of chances created. Encouraging to see us now scoring late goals, rather than conceding them.

The defence was excellent tonight, very rare no matter how poor the opposition, that you restrict a side to an extent that they didn't create a single chance all night.

• He ran his arse off this evening, and every game. Pretty sure he’s just getting taken off just because of the incredible amount of ground he covers.

• Great that @Blueword isn't watching anymore.

• The first half - only 1 minute added - was very fast moving I thought but it looked like we would never score in the second. I thought Taylor, Saddlier, Grimmer and Vokes had good games. I hope we don't go to pens at Wembley.

My only concern, improved kicking aside, is that The Best No2 in the League was not really tested.

• I'm torn between thinking Vokes/Taylor played their part in wearing down the Cheltenham defence with their mix of physicality and work rate. But on the flip side, the energy and danger Kone and Lubala showed off the bench made us much more of a goal threat. We just didn't look like scoring until the subs were made, despite a lot of efforts on goal.

Obviously the penalty is a different matter, not sure why Potts was designated taker. Odd to see Leahy and McCleary keeping their distance there. I know they have both missed penalties, but are much more experienced in those situations. Anyway, great much needed result tonight.

• Its good to have options. We have got a few strikers now that offer different threats which is healthy, and used correctly, will keep opposition guessing and cause problems.

• Rescheduled Tuesday night game also online...I had to book a day off because I resent not using my ST to the full extent! Oh, for the nights under Gareth when we regularly got 8000 under the lights on a Tuesday night.

• edited February 28

The more that game wore on, the more the nagging pessimist in me thought that we would contrive to lose that. Subbing on Lubala and Kone after all the hard work from Vokes and Sadlier made the difference. The second was an outstanding finish, but the defending of the corner was comically bad. In trying to set up a counter, they left Lubala in acres of space 25 yards from goal. I could see what was being lined up, fortunately the professional footballers we were up against didn't.

A massive win for us in the context of the season, hopefully it'll help ease any nerves we may have had.

Re: the crowds, midweek games have generally been poorly attended over the past 10 years. I don't think it's the result of our poor season so far, more people either having other attractions or (my default moan) people being too soft to deal with a bit of cold of an evening when they could stream it on Wanderers TV.

EDIT - Just seen the replay and Lubala's goal was from a free-kick, I must be losing my marbles...

• Watching post match interviews, Lubala is such a lovely chap (as is Low, but this is the first interview I have seen for Beryly). We still have the character test going, clearly!

• The gasroom is currently overrun by a growing band of joyless miseries. I’m considered as pretty cynical in the real world, but I feel like a Michael McIntyre style funster after an evening on here.

Had a chat post game with some other attendees who don’t hang out on this site and they were dumbfounded at the levels of griping. Honestly, it might be worth a few of them taking some time out and finding a bit of joy somewhere. I genuinely worry for them and their families.

• Cheltenham have been transformed since Darrell Clarke took over as manager in October. At the time they had lost their first nine games (I believe without scoring a goal).

They have been in excellent form recently and before tonight they were sixth in the League 1 table based on their previous six results.

That was an excellent result tonight.

• And Peterborough 22nd !!

• For anyone who may have missed this post earlier.

• My attendance at midweek games is always a marginal call . I have to leave early because I live over an hour drive away .

Make it a little more difficult to go and offer me a £10 watch from home alternative guess what happened.

• I would just like to add my “hear, hear” to that. I think my objection to it is just a social media thing. I’m an old fart and traditionalist, and the idea of some anonymous witless goons lobbing occasional one-liner grenades and then running, rather than copping any flak for the nonsense they spouted, tends to frustrate me. This gripe, of course, doesn’t apply to the majority who back up their views with rationale, and keep a civil debate. I’m cynical too, and the way this crazy season has gone I was half-expecting the ball to bounce off Taff’s arse, or something, to gift them an undeserved equaliser, before Bez’s beauty. But I need to stop worrying as I think the wobbly period has settled down - for large chunks of the game we were a decent finish away from being in complete control (for example, forcing the opposition manager into a four-man change after only 52 minutes). I’m impressed with the assembled squad and I think we’ll finish strongly...

• We did dominate that game from start to finish really. We had a little nervous moment or two prior to Joes goal but all in all a very strong performance.

The BBC stats for the match show that we had 25 shots at goal to their 7 and 7 shots on target, with Cheltenham at 0.

I was slightly confused with Bloomers taking Keiran Sadlier off but as someone else mentioned on here, he did run himself into the ground and that may well have been the reason.

Cheltenham’s recent record prior to this game was very good, so last night was a very good result for us and an enjoyable game.

We are now on only 13 points off the old traditional 54 points to avoid the drop and with 13 games to go, so we have a real chance of pushing into the top half.

A top half finish and a trip to Wembley is, in my book a successful season, especially with all the changes we have gone through this season.

Onto Barnsley and hopefully more points on the board. We are a very good squad at the moment and at our best we are quite capable of beating any team in this league.

Keep smiling and come on you blues!!!!

• got to give MB the 9th finish if people are going to count last seasons results against him

• Can't remember any nervous moments at all, job well done and good performance.

• Those interviews with Joe and Bez are brilliant. You can see from their reaction that the group is tight and we are into something here.

I have been pretty impatient with our style of play and at times annoyed with the substitutions but after listening to the recent player interviews, I am now sure we can push on and have an excellent end to this season. We have a good group of players/people.

• What I’m liking is that the players are

working hard for eachother. The sense of disinterest (which was probably frustration) at the Morecambe and Fleetwood games has gone and I’m seeing a lot of positivity and mutual support out there. A sense too that they believe in Blooms and want to do well for him. It’s looking like a return to what made us so special under GA.

Mid table by March and a cup run and a cohesive squad with a positive attitude. Lots to like about that.

• edited February 28

After rewatching Lubala's fabulous goal and subsequent celebration with Blooms, it did cross my mind that maybe Matt had flipped over a blackboard at the training ground and found a Dobbo corner / free kick routine and decided to give it a try.

• Exactly what I thought. Straight out the Dobbo playbook!

Fantastic interview with Bez. Seems like an excellent guy. Would love to play in a team with him.

• Interviews were excellent. Totally agree we have a good group of players and that has been the frustration about some of the performances. We should have been performing much better with the quality and depth of the squad. Important 3 points last night fromwhich hopefully we can kick on and have a good end of season.

• What didn't make sense was that Lubala was very obviously in masses of space and even the ref doing his best to get in the way didn't stop him getting that finish off.