Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Lincoln

Comments

• I’m not sure posting the same thing over and over again on the internet is “addressing” anything.

• The entire club is being taken backwards by Bloomfield (league position, attendances, apathy etc) and there's too much blind faith by some on this site. It's not possible to be worried about what is happening with the team and not simultaneously realise that the management team are the ones taking us in that worrying direction.

• Quite possibly, and that would be a huge underachievement

• I think we've just got to accept that some will back him to the hilt out of blind faith, even if he takes us down.

• Blooms has had fifty games in charge, and on the whole the results simply haven’t been good enough. Whether he makes it another fifty depends on large part in what happens in the next fifteen.

I’m not sure anyone has ‘blind faith,’ in Matt Bloomfield.

• edited January 14

I’ve no idea why or for what reason people think “we can’t get rid [horrible expression] of Matt Bloomfield”. Being “Mr Wycombe” is certainly not a plausible explanation. But, aside from the fact that we are failing to convert more than the odd one or two of the myriad chances we are now creating, there are sound financial reasons why terminating his contract would almost certainly be counterproductive. Perhaps most people are happily ignorant of that aspect.

I enjoyed @RuyLopez’s satirical piece, particularly the reference to the situation at Fratton Park (which I had to check because even after their 3-0 home defeat by Leyton Orient yesterday I couldn’t believe that their recent form was inferior to ours).

Koné and Kodua are unknown quantities at our level but I feel confident that they will have sufficient impact to make that tiny step towards converting at least a couple of chances per match from time to time. MB will clearly be pinning his hopes on those two and on any other attacking player(s) he is able to recruit during the January window.

On the much debated matter of his approach to defending a single goal lead, I think the Gasroom (of all the social media platforms) probably has the most constructive criticism. Basically, I think we’re mostly agreed that continuation of a positive, attacking approach based on sensible and relatively early use of up to four or five substitutes, is preferable to sitting back in our own box with players probably confused about their individual responsibilities.

Pressure of public opinion - Gasroom in particular, we like to think - must have had some bearing on the decision to change the defensive formation. We can do it again, I hope.

We’re here to help !

• edited January 14

'Blind hope' then. There seems to be more of that than calls for change, anyway.

• edited January 14

If this team gets sucked fully into the relegation scrap - at the moment, we're on the periphery - I don't think it has the fight to get out of it. For this squad to go down would be unacceptable and I think we all know that.

I sense we'll just about cobble together enough points to stay out of it, but that's just a hunch - we're cutting it fine and I don't know why the board want to take that risk.

• I’m becoming more frustrated with the eternal, infernal pessimism than I was yesterday with the dreadful decision to sit on a single goal lead.

• I’m not sure losing or drawing again and again will address our League One status.

• I’m happy to listen to anyone who can talk me through the logic of any one of the subs yesterday. Good players one and all. So why did each change make us worse. That’s an extraordinary feat in my books.

I’ve said time and time again I don’t want to see Mr Wycombe sacked but Christ on a bike he’s testing my patience week after week.

• Does the elephant need to pack their trunk?

I’m still holding out for no and that the elephant will, one day, fly. The stats of 1 win in 15 and a less than 27% win rate after 50 in charge are worse than I’d thought though. Yesterday was a slow motion car crash from 70 minutes onwards but perhaps losing 2 points was the better outcome than holding on as it showed the horribly defensive approach doesn’t work, unless you have a keeper or other played who can stick it on a Bayo. (Held it like glue giving us time to reorganise. Even if he gave away a “foul” it meant a restart deep in their half.)

We have no Bayo and no amount of centre-backs and players out of position creates that. All I saw was confusion.

Maybe I don’t get football but to me, to carry on with the formation that gave you the lead, replacing like for like as best as you can seems the straightforward approach, especially with young players.

Let’s all hope a lesson was learned yesterday in the coaching team.

• If we got 3 points for every time @Brownie called for Blooms to be sacked we’d have a record, unassailable points tally.

• I am not trying to excuse some of our recent failings, but we are 7 points above the relegation places and only one of the 10 teams below us has a better GD, so things would have to get much worse for us to be dragged into the bottom four - and that’s a fact, not an opinion.

• edited January 14

I'd love Blooms to prove me wrong. Currently he's statistically closer to Tony Adams than anyone else (and we know how much he loves his stats). If people are happy with that, then so be it.

P.S. Have a thumbs up from me Doctor.

• Speaking practically, it feels like there's only one 'live,' relegation spot open anyway. Fleetwood and Carlisle look doomed, Reading will surely be docked points for yesterday and goodness knows whats to come for them in the following weeks.

• Sounds like Reading might not even make it to the end of the season

• I'd have very little confidence at all if we got into a proper scrap in which we were in and out of the bottom 4.

• Cheltenham are the danger, look much improved and we play them twice in a month shortly.

• That’s some smallest of crumbs of comfort. How the hell is this squad grateful to be 7 points outside the relegation zone?

We are lost. We are devoid of leadership off the field and it’s spread onto the field. Grimmer and Max arguing yesterday when Max hesitated about coming for a cross is a red flag. Grimmer is the skipper. Max needs to respect the armband. He was wrong. Arguing with the skipper is not on.

There is no manager in the league that survives this level of results. I worry that once again the post match interview is being believed by the manager and the players.

• And Grimmer was right in that instance. Stryjek was great yesterday but he should’ve been out for that loose ball. It was a gimmie.

• Never too high, never too low. Some of the posts on here have been a complete overreaction to yesterday. We were 10 seconds from three points.

The last 15 was crap though and sticking on a defender to confuse matters was not helpful. We had just about weathered the storm and I have no idea why Philips committed that foul. I was fuming.

This squad is ok, it’s nowhere near what we’ve had over the last four or five seasons though.

We've had a huge amount of injuries over the last few months and perhaps yesterday’s tired legs were a result of the amount of games we’ve played recently.

Vokes, Wheeler, Potts, Grimmer, Tafa, Leahy, KVY have not long returned from extended spells out.

Under Ainsworth we went through quite a long period of not being able to play Saturday/Tuesday/Saturday/Tuesday. I think this was a reason he de-prioritised the cups to avoid two games a week as much as possible.

I agree with a number of posters that attack is the best form of defence. Initially I think Bloomfield tried to replace players to keep the attack up - Kone, Philips, KVY but they had no impact. Hence he went to back 5. Vokes, McCleary, Wheeler and Potts all looked knackered after 60 minutes.

We currently don’t have proven back ups for any of them who are fit. I think that’s why he put Forino on to try and move Leahy into the centre of the park.

Scowen plays yesterday we win.

Vokes scores that header we win.

Philips doesn’t commit that foul we win.

We’ve lost one of our last 7 but drawing five of them. Appreciate one win in fifteen is less than ideal.

You make your own luck and we’re not making much at the minute. Hopefully we can get another couple of wins in January and we can kick on.

• edited January 14

Quick quiz: how many times have we won consecutive league games under Bloomfield?

• Once this season - Bristol Rovers and Northampton Town, both away.

• edited January 14

The one and only time during 41 games in charge. Dreadful.

• By which you mean agree with you

You were the Scarlett Pimpernel after the Bristol Rovers game. Quiet as a church mouse. It's a pretty poor look

• Football is about opinions and if you are happy with the past fifteen results then that’s great.

It wasn’t a last minute fluke goal yesterday. It was a sustained period of defensive rear guard made worse with every sub. They deserved to win. They created the better chances and more of them.

But hey. We love Matt. He’s great. And relegation will be fine. We won’t have to build the new road either as no mug will want to turn up and watch this.

• I think you're reading far too much into that. I've been unconvinced by MB ever since the beginning. Not that I have to justify myself to you or anyone.

• makes me laugh that many fans are content just because blooms is the manager , any other manager in the same position would have been sacked....he is a poor manager ,.comes across as condescending in interviews and uses stats to suit his argument , we have our best squad in years and he is taking us backwards

• Nor do you have to keep repeating ad nauseam that you think he should be sacked, I think we’ve all got the message by now.