Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Lincoln

Comments

• According to @Shev, (in whom we trust) games could finish in 85 minutes and we’d be in 9th place.

• I really don’t see why people aren’t more angry with the current position. We have the arguably the most talented squad ever, this team should be guaranteed play off, we are huffing and puffing and scraping draws against Burton and Lincoln. With a half decent management team we are top six. No problem. Instead we have a manager willing to say he doesn’t know why we are dropping late points.

Attendances are sliding. Fans will not return. It’s a mess

• Equals equalisers in last ten or so minutes.

• Get it sorted MB. Or else.

• edited January 14

Thanks - it did feel like a lot. Not that it matters much as it’s still depressing but I guess it does add some evidence to the feeling we can’t manage the end of the game.

• Completely agree.

Patterns like our constant throwing away of points don't happen by coincidence. It's a combination of a manager who doesn't know (or have the confidence) to see out games and players not up (or not motivated enough by management) for the fight.

Our club isn't a manager's pre-school. If MB is incapable of pulling it together he doesn't have a divine right to so much time that it risks taking us down.

• It’s like your mate being arrested for something he definitely did that he shouldn’t.

You know he’s done wrong and should probably be punished for it. It’s affecting you now But he’ll try and do anything for you and for the last 20 years has always tried his best, so you do still love him for it.

But sometimes even the best relationships go sour after a wrong choice or two.

• edited January 14

We started dropping deeper with maybe 20 minutes to go.

Eventually we were what, 7 in a flat line across the back?

Once we’re too flat, every blocked shot, every poor clearance gives the ball straight back to the opposition and invites yet more pressure.

The best place to prevent Lincoln scoring was to have the ball in our attacking third.

Hard to achieve playing 1-9-1.

• Agree 100% with your last paragraph. We can't afford to have a manager who's here to 'learn on the job' - we're wasting talent.

• The insane thing is we've done exactly the same thing on numerous occasions this season. The fact that Bloomfield can't see it and says he doesn't know why we are conceding so many late goals is astounding.

• I have this sinking feeling that MB's next tactic would be that at 80 mins he lines up all eleven players along the goal line and lets the opposition take pot shots. Probably statistical no more likely to concede a goal than his usual defensive plan.

• edited January 14

I’m not sure what some are seeing to argue this is our most talented squad ever. I’m not sure what they’re seeing to even say we’re a good team. We’re not a good team. We’ve won one of our last 15 league matches. Good teams don’t go on a run like that.

As for being dragged into a relegation battle come March. We’re in one right now. I don’t understand the laissez-faire attitude of some.

• It was a delight but we should have been 1-2 down. A guilt edge chance fired straight at Max when a 1 foot either side would have been an equaliser and a shot hits the inside of the post due to a non existent midfield. So a delight where are already clinging on.

You can’t be a team that plays a few minutes of lovely stuff here and there.

Our manager loves stats. Yet the interviews he gives would make a Tory blush in terms of what he says v what the facts say. And whilst I respect you loved the delightful stuff there was a lot of dross in that showing.

• edited January 14

It’s a challenging situation - but then again it is sport - but I don’t think it’s a mess.

Maybe because I start from a different place in that I don’t think this is the most talented squad we’ve ever had or that it would achieve a guaranteed place in the top six with better management.

I think that seriously underestimates how good some of the other squads in the division are. Believe it or not they also have good players (and deeper pockets).

There’s a real danger here that our achievements under GA mean we lose a bit of perspective in terms of how easy it is for us as a club - that can just about russle up 4,000 fans every week - to compete at the top end of League One.

We can do it yes, but to do it we need to get pretty much everything right, in terms of recruitment, formation, style and motivation.

We’re certainly not in that place but nor are we in a place where we should be just sitting there and assuming this is a top 6 squad.

• In principle we do have a relatively strong squad and in quite a few matches, slim margins have been the difference.

Probably, through caution or (understandable) nervousness, Blooms is reacting to increasing opposition pressure by shoring up the defence, but I think he’s taking the wrong route.

Once your opponents begin to build momentum it’s key to change shape, tactics or personnel to disrupt that momentum.

Continually conceding possession through too flat a formation isn’t the solution.

Once Blooms sees that and acts accordingly I think we’ll see improvement.

• The comments in the post-match interview that we "defended the goal well" were delusional. We absolutely did not

• Thought we were excellent for around 60 mins , Lincoln changed there formation and controlled the next 10 mins , Bloomfield panicked and took off sadlier vokes and made defence subs which brought more pressure on us , having three centre backs on just causes more confusion than helps . Everyone could see the goal coming and sure as eggs is egg it turned up.Bloomfield reminds me of Southgate very negative in his subs

Taylor and sadlier were excellent as was vokes apart from missing that header in the 2nd half he should of buried

• separately quoted the crux of the matter:

“We can do it yes, but to do it we need to get pretty much everything right, in terms of recruitment, formation, style and motivation”

Arguably 3.5 of those four things are down to one group of people in the club. I really don’t want to say certain words, but If they can’t do that part of their job, then there’s no hope even with world beaters in there.

• Because most people think we can't get rid, because he's "Mr Wycombe"

1 win in 15 sees pretty much any other manager gone.

• We're joint 13th in the table and are in with a shout of a trip to Wembley. I don't think that's a good enough reason to dump MB just yet.

(Unless Ainsworth comes back, obviously, then Blooms would be out the door before his xG could hit the ground)

• We could do a Wigan tribute, of sorts, and win the pizza cup while getting relegated

• Loved Gaz while he was here, but absolutely don’t now want to go back to watching more of the same tactics.

Going backwards isn’t the way imo.

• 1 win in 15 is a decent enough reason.

And Ainsworth coming back isn’t a good enough reason. Not unless you want another legacy potentially ruined. Even MoN coming back could be awful.

Never go back to ex’s. Especially when they are the ones that decided it’s time to move on.

• “We have arguably the most talented squad ever.” I’ve heard that phrase banded about a bit and completely disagree. On paper it looks ok defensively with a competitiveness in midfield. But, taking out the untried Kone and Kadou, it lacks both goals and attacking threat. We’ve struggled in attack this season and defensively made too many mistakes. Our attack makes such a statement on how talented our squad somewhere bizarre in my book.

• Trouble is, that's exactly what Couhig will do. Easy option for him, no work needed.

But I totally agree with what you are saying

• edited January 14

I generally agree that you shouldn't go back, but Gaz is an exceptional case worth going back to. Offer him the job until the end of the season imo, with the option to extend in the summer but no obligation.

• Given stats seem to be so important, Matt Bloomfield now has a league win percentage of less than 27%.

• Well, that's if the powers that be genuinely believe we can still go on a mad run and make the play-offs (Couhig probably believed we can even with MB in charge). If not, I'd rather we make an appointment with the longer term in mind.