Skip to content

Match Day Thread: West Ham (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• I think it’s 110k.

20k participation fee.

30k for 3 wins in the group stage.

20k for beating Fulham

40k for tonight.

• I know it’s not this cut and dry, but £40k probably covers Richard Kone’s annual salary. Great evening for the club.

• I don’t think so !!

But certainly a great evening for him and his club.

• Ravizzoli, Ward, Skura and Kone have a maximum of three professional league starts between them if I remember correctly. That’s four of our starting eleven tonight. JJ is 36 and has rarely started a league game for 12 months. For a bunch of players cobbled together they did very well to totally outplay a top U21 side unbeaten in 16. Adams Park is a good surface nowadays, so it’s not even like we gave ourselves much of an advantage with a surface better suited to our more physical players. I know it’s only a silly cup game but I was thoroughly impressed tonight.

• Sorry. On reflection I think you could well be right. It’s far too early to say with any certainty but I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s on at least three times that amount before the year is out.

• I know it's annoying that the PL clubs have their youth in it, but I still want to win this cup. We are unlikely to ever win the FA Cup or EFL Cup, so why not lift a tournament cup at Wembley in whatever way we can?

• edited January 10

Hard to know with salaries but coming from 6 divisions below, being young and having not proven himself yet, 40k a year wouldn't be a bad starting position.

And hopefully you're right, he scores more than Al hamadi is scoring for Wimbledon and he fires us up the league.

• edited January 10

At times it feels like you're 100s of games away, but we're now just 2 games from Wembley!

Trying to remember the furthest we've got before. I know MON took us to at least the area semi final in our first league season (maybe the area final)?

And Gareth took us perhaps to area quarter or semi once before?

• A good moment for a history lesson / memory jogger!

The ever-reliable COTN will reveal all:

First Leg:

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1993-1994/1994_03_01_swansea_a.htm

Second Leg:

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1993-1994/1994_03_22_swansea_h.htm

• I know this competition gets a load of stick, and rightly so ! I don't go myself, but have watched on TV from the comfort of my own sofa. But you can't deny its decent prize money, and will certainly help going towards things like wages. Never mind the players, I'd imagine that sort of money would probably be enough for yearly salaries for a few office staff.

• Nice work @johnkerrsdivingheade

This is the perfect season to focus on this cup, being a transitional one.

Other seasons with smaller squads and promotion aspirations it felt a bit more of a hassle.

• Who remembers the game at Craven Cottage from that season?

One of the all time great nights

• Didn’t we lose in the semi final to Coventry a few years ago? Their fans were celebrating like they’d got to the champions league final.

• Just watched the Kone goal again and whilst I don't want to get over excited there is a lot to be encouraged by in that little snippet. Firstly he is closing down the defence, intelligently. A criticism I have of Phillips and Taylor is they chase the ball like an eager terrier, Kone holds the space and gives the defender the choice, he makes the wrong one, Kone is light and quick of foot and pounces. This is a tiny thing but is not an easy thing. As I said with Phillips and and Taylor they chase hard and it is easy for defenders to see someone coming at them in a straight line at pace and have 270 degree angle to pass it into. The second thing is the finish of course. First professional game, no one is going to care if he lashes it and gets it way wrong. Oh hang on he's going to dummy the defender, what fun. Nope, he's going to drag the ball back onto his other foot and make the other defender look a tad childish, you don't do that when you've never scored a senior goal.

Both of these qualities are difficult to coach. They are football intelligence. And whilst I know there is a long journey ahead of him and there will be crap games this sets him apart already from some raw players that have come through the door over the years.

• Steve Potts after the game:

"I’ve said a lot that this tournament is a great experience for the boys, and it was the case again tonight…maybe for different reasons.

It was a real taste of what League football is about. I think in the first five minutes they started quickly, and it could have been two or three [goals] for them.

We got into the game, but I don’t think we really got going like we do and that is a credit to Wycombe. They made it really difficult for us.

Parts for the second half were good, but it still wasn’t at the level we have been this season. Hopefully, the boys will take a lot from this game because it is not easy being a footballer.

I can't criticise the boys because 16 games unbeaten is a fantastic run and it is always going to come to an end eventually.

I hope they take on board what league football is all about, though. They know how difficult it can be and that wherever you play you are going to be tested and I thought they really were tested tonight.”

• Outstanding work. I'd been working on Simon and Garfunkel's Richard Cory , but this is much better.

I can't wait for the "dum dum dum, doody-doo wah" to ring out from the Main Stand as Kone warms up on Saturday.

• Congratulations on making the only downbeat comment amidst a plethora of deserved praise for the performance and Kobe’s debut.

• Kone’s debut…predictive text strikes again.

• This comment was made prior to the match I believe.

• If that was the case apologies to the author but it was still a downbeat comment.

• 👎no doubt coming my way. Yes Kone is a great signing, his goal was interesting. Like all good strikers his first instinct was to shoot, don’t think it was a dummy just v smartly realised the shot wasn’t on (so it became a dummy), from then on (as someone else mentioned) it was a bit Chris Zabroskie (spelling?) v leggy and the drag back a function of not great initial control? But the finish was calm and assured which is priceless at this level. Of course we all hope he is a season changing revelation. Here’s hoping.🫰

• Yes I don’t remember the Capital League delivering many nights like last night or being quite as lucrative.

• Obviously it's a low profile game, but to come in and score from the off is very encouraging.

Especially in a climate where we're half the way through the season and our top scorer is on about 6 or so goals, mostly fuellled by pens!

• I'm not gonna thumb you, but I respectfully disagree. Every time I watch the goal it looks better than before, that's two absolutely blinding and deliberate dummies. How do I know this? Because he pulled off the same thing multiple times in various positions around the pitch, notably twice out wide on the right wing, both before putting in a cracking cross.

• In time I think people will drift towards Lou and the "Glory of love'll see you through" ringing through the terrace

• edited January 10

He certainly looked like he'd lost the best opportunity to shoot, before the second part of it.

What a confidence booster to score so early in his pro career.

• I won't cancel you @perfidious_albion I think you're not far off the mark. Not sure L1 defenders will give him the same sort of time but like you, I hope they do and he kicks on. It will be nice to have a player that frightens defences as much as Vokes...they can't have two players marking both of them, can they?

• I’d love to see Vokes and Kone together up front. Handful. We’ve often seen opposition sides employ an extremely good aerial presence in the centre of a back three to combat Vokes and it often nullifies our threat. Kone running the channels would give much greater variety of build up.