Skip to content

Match Day Thread: West Ham (EFL Trophy)

Comments

• Happy Richard Kone day everyone.

• One of the biggest badge downgrades in history

• Cometh the hour, koneth the Kone

• A free scouting trip for this transfer window or next summer!

• "London"

Just....no

• Part of the mating ritual of two long necked swans. What's that got to do with it?

• A great opportunity to display to West Ham how well run we are. Please give us your next Freddie Potts.

• THE PLAYER arriveth.

• I’m a bit worried we’re getting too excited. I’m also a bit worried I’m getting too excited

• I'm really excited

• In all honesty, as long it looks like Kone shows some form of potential (obviously assuming he comes on at all tonight...) then it's fine, Mehmeti was certainly far from the finished product when he arrived with us, and needed work to bring out the obvious talent.

• Also - apparently £40K prize money resting on the game tonight.

If, IF we get through, then the QF draw is live on Sky at 6:30 on Fri (12 Jan).

(obviously however my interest in this competition will mysteriously disappear altogether should we get knocked out tonight)

https://www.efl.com/news/2024/january/09/bristol-street-motors-trophy--quarter-final-draw/

• edited January 9

I don’t want to get too excited over Kone before I’ve seen him kick a ball. Ricardo German has 23 goals in 19 starts for Chesham and they play at a higher level than Athletic Newham. I’ve seen a lot of him over the last season or so. I don’t think he’d get near Wycombe’s team, so I do doubt Kone’s ability to operate at League 1 level. I really hope he has me eating my words later.

• I lay awake last night (well, this morning!) worrying that we might, understandably, be slightly disappointed. I kept reminding myself that to average a goal a game at whatever level (pretty well) was an incredible achievement and, at 20, there’s bound to be plenty of room for improvement.

But, for the first time for ages (and this is what prevented me longest from getting back to sleep) I kept mulling over the likely starting lineup. Would Grimmer and Leahy fill the fullback slots, for example, and, if not, who would replace them. It seems like Pattenden and Boyes (the most likely candidates) are unlikely to be available. (Perhaps Low and Vincent-Young?)

I can foresee Forino and Keogh filling the central defensive slots with Scowen and (hopefully) Ward in central midfield.

Further forward, there will probably be starts for Wheeler, Phillips and Dale Taylor. That leaves one slot to be filled. Will it be THE PLAYER?

That is THE question.

• My question is, "Are they the Trim Hammers, the Gavels or the West Ham babies?

• It is slightly different in that Kone might already have been playing at a higher level if he had legally (if that’s the right word) been able to.

• This feels like where we stop treating this (absurd) competition like an opportunity for development and start treating it as an opportunity to get to Wembley.

West Ham’s kids are probably the strongest set of u21s in the competition, we’ll have to be at our best.

• Don't usually attend these games, but I'll be there tonight. Looking forward to it!

Would be great to see Kone at some point, but from what I saw of him at Wealdstone I think it's worth tempering our excitement. An awkward, leggy forward who had a few nice touches, but also some poor ones and missed the chances he had. A neutral mate and I who watched (we obviously had no idea who he was at the time) thought if he was on trial from Prem/Championship, he would probably be shown the door on that showing, but if he was on trial from non league, then he was probably worth another look, as there was certainly some raw talent there. After learning his story, I'd love to see him succeed, but worried the likes of the Facebook crowd will hype him up, then see him play and immediately write him off. He could be one to persevere with in my opinion and we might be rewarded with a very good player.

Of course the above is all based on me seeing him play for 30mins! Would be delighted to see him bang in a hatrick tonight and look the finished article!

• Is JJ injured? Or just not been making the squad. If he’s not injured then I think he will start with Forino and Keogh, hopefully in a back 4. I wouldn’t be surprised if Blooms tries 3/5 at the back again.

I would like to see Ward get a start and some game time for Kone. However if we are taking this cup seriously I think it will be a strong starting 11

• Good points. We debate whether AAH2 could make the step up, and he is banging them in just one level below! Hope springs eternal, though.

• Reminder that this is a *7 PM* KO (presumably owing to the low numbers anticipated)...just in case anyone might otherwise miss the first 45 mins....

• @BSE I'm a fan of your work but I notice you're still including #BTeamBoycott as well as the old Twitter logo.

Genuine question... are you still promoting a boycott of this competition? Or have your views changed but you're re-using an old graphic?

• Boycott until we get to the final, at which point WEMBERLEY trumps principles

• Wycombe v Derby final still on.

• West Ham U21 are the last B team left in the competition - let's finish the job

• Brighton U21 are hosting Reading tonight. Just those 2 left I think!

• Ah so they are, my bad

• The full draw

• Agreed, this sort of geographical appropriation never goes down well. Take Thames A.F.C. for example (who ironically played at ‘West Ham Stadium’), claiming the landmark moniker didn’t prevent them recording the lowest Football League crowd ever at 469* in 1930.

*ref: my guess at tonight’s crowd

• edited January 9

Think I held out until 2nd half v Coventry last time