Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Exter

Comments

• Trying not to think of too gloomy a scenario, but imagine we did slip down to League 2, and we didn't put the ticket prices down!

• 9 goals scored since we last won in the league, including 3 pens and an OG

• Just seen Matt interview. It was a painful watch.

Tweeking a few things just isn't working.

I'm afraid it's time to move forward.

The Cowley, Michael Duffy or Mark Bonner have the experience we need

• Wayne Rooney will be available soon!

• Just saw a bloke trending on Twitter called Joseph Barton. He's got a proven managerial record, is available and shares our conservative values. That'll show the basement dwellers we know what we're doing.

• Cheltenham didn't score a goal in their first 11 games this season, and we are now only 5 points ahead of them.

• edited December 2023

Their new manager bounce has been ridiculous

• would you rather have Joey Barton as manager and retain our league 1 status, or keep Bloomfield and play league 2 next season ?

• edited December 2023

If Barton is appointed I’ll cancel my season ticket subscription until both him and anyone who had anything to do with his appointment have left the club.

I don’t say that lightly, having supported since 1991.

• That sequence of events from Critchley leaving QPR was really terrible for everyone, and gets worse with every passing day.

QPR: Burned through GA, new boss now catching QPR-itis.

GA: Out of work thanks to tenure at basket case club above.

Wycombe: Wheel fall off promotion chase last season, fighting relegation this season.

Blooms: Was doing well at Colchester and building something close to home, managerial reputation now in tatters.

Colchester: After brief climb with Blooms, back in the bottom three.

Okay, that last one is funny.

• I don't think Barton is going to be close to get any managerial job for a long time after his recent tirades.

• Agreed - he has gone scorched earth. Unless Mordor put a team out, he is done.

• Will just be able to go on right-wing podcasts and GB news, claiming that he’s been ‘cancelled’

• It's football - there will be a club out there willing to give Barton a job

• I've been happy to give him the benefit of the doubt about trying to play 3-5-2 for a large portion of this season but it was clear by end of October that the squad didn't get it. I'd previously said we should leave until 6th January and the Burton away game but I'm really wavering now.

We had seen such a huge improvement in the last two games by playing a back four, coming away with a hard fought draw at Derby and a late equaliser to deny us three points at home last week. To then go back to a back three, bring Keogh into the mix instead of Low/Tafazolli and leave Boyes on the bench for KVY is extremely hard to defend. Any ex non-Wycombe player would not be getting this stay of execution.

I really hope something clicks over the next three games, as I don't believe he will be sacked before then. It's soul destroying seeing MB go through this and seemingly not able to think his way through it.

I'd absolutely love him to turn it around but today really gave me little confidence he can. Please prove me wrong.

We are in a relegation dog fight.

• Of all the posts I've read today, that's the one which expresses pretty much exactly where I am too.

• I can’t see the owners sacking Blooms.

• Having invested in a long term contract do they have the financial inclination or actual ready funds to pay up that contract?
    • They still don’t ’get’ football, the ‘lost dressing room’ and jeopardy of not acting with immediate effect is beyond their experience and comprehension.
    • Who within their cabal has the contacts to attract a decent replacement candidate? Pete is back home, Kev is fresh off the boat, no one else has the clout.

I fear this is going to get even worse before it gets any better.

• Exactly this. He got jobs despite actual cases of real violence, so a few click bait soundbites, however silly, won't stop him in the future.

• I’m not sure.

He’s been so overtly and purposely offensive towards women in the last week, any club that appoints him will get an instant backlash from a sizeable part of their fan base.

• Wife and I are really looking forward to the fireworks on New Year’s Day, that could be as good as it gets this season.

• edited December 2023

This post made I laaarf when It didn’t seem possible 😂.

• Not so sure, the contract extension was for morale, you can see offshoots and want to support that but then also read results. He's borrowing money, seems like Blooms contract is a spit in the ocean compared even to annual losses, can't bang on about or promise the championship from L2.

I'm fairly sure he's got Pete's number btw, and Andrew Howard's, Trevor's , and Gaz's and Dobbos for that matter.

• I have Wanderers tv but can’t see Bloomfield’s interview. Can anyone link to it please?

What was the atmosphere like behind the goal at the end? That’s not like Bloomfield to skip applauding the fans, especially at such a distant outpost.

• Well if he gives @trevor a call he'll be directed to an immediate changing of the guard.

• He’s got Trevor’s number?! Imagine how depressing that call would be.

• Having given Matt a long term extension I think it's pretty unlikely Rob Couhig would then sack him. Three reasons: 1) it would be bloody expensive for him, unnecessarily so 2) it will make him look like an incompetent fool for giving the contract extension, which he seems too thin skinned to handle 3) he seems to enjoy baiting the fans by telling them he knows more than they - he will relish being able to say he stuck with Bloomfield when everyone else was calling for him to be sacked if Matt does come good in the second half of the season.

I said a few weeks back that I think Rob gave Matt the contract extension so that anyone who buys the club will have to give him a decent pay off. I stick by that. I wonder if it's taking a little longer to sell the club than he anticipated though, hence the multiple trips over here recently. Quite possibly this Georgian has now been given access to the books and doesn't like what he sees.

In which case it'll be interesting to see how Rob reacts - the closer we get to relegation the harder it will be to shift the club for profit. Could he try to make Matt's role here untenable in the hope of forcing a resignation? One way of doing that would be to bring in a consultant above his head. A Danny Crowley, say...

• You've certainly got a real skill for making things feel even worse than they already felt.