Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Oxford

Comments

• Some of the comments on the Facebook group have been a complete embarrassment. I've seen Killian called "vile" and some supporters suggesting he shouldn't play again until after 11th November. Absurd.

• It’s an away fixture that I dread. For some reason whenever I book tickets I get row W or higher with all that entails. The insistence by stewards that seats are allocated and then their reluctance to manage what then results must happen several times a season when the local or larger clubs come.

Either allow sit where you want or have a booking system that allows seat selection (or maybe there is one that doesn’t link to ours?).

if you can’t do either and you are going to fail to steward with authority then sell less seats than the space allows so people can move if they have to.

And yes I know that we should all behave, sit in our seats and so on. The sad reality is it won’t happen and Oxford’s crowd management skills make the situation more unpleasant than it needs to be.

A typical example was a steward, asked to intervene by supporters, shrugging his shoulders when the row in front of mine stood and then two people wouldn’t sit and the family behind them became very verbally aggressive. It didn’t kick off but it easily could have and said steward was clearly going to do nothing.

• Nah, the poppy police are exactly the kind who'd boo him and have been straying into thinly (sometimes completely un-) veiled xenophobia on Twitter.

• The problem is that you have a wide range of clientele all wanting to watch the game differently forced into a daft randomly allocated seat system. And the stewards aren’t told to apply common sense.

• I've stopped going to Oxford away as I just cant be bothered to deal with the selfish behaviour of a significant amount of our fans. It's easier to go to VPN and pay £10. I'll go to other less well supported away games, where there are plenty of seats to move to should you end up in the wrong place.

I have the same reservations about Northampton away.

I think attitudes would change if we sold out every away allocation every week. Lots of Premier League away teams just stand for the whole match, but they sell out, so I think you just grim and bear it. We would have to do the same.

The difference for me is that a lot of our fans go to 15+ away games and do not have to put up with what happens at Oxford or Northampton for 80% of those games. This is when arguments start.

• as an away supporter at a premier league game can you usually book a specific seat? I have no idea.

I’m all for safe standing but some supporters find standing for 90-100 minutes tough. Oxford’s daft system has people on crutches and little kids placed at the back and 6ft standers at the front. How hard can it be to do better.

• My apologies. I agree with your sentiment. Bunch of people that comment having done no research of his background.

• The problem there is it isn't suited to loads of people turning up at the last second and demanding to stand where they prefer.

It should go back to allocated seating and if you don't want to sit in your allocated seat you can go home, easy to blame the stewards.

• Both times I have been to MK in the league (I know its my own fault) I have moved away from pissed up fans insulting our own players...luckily always plenty of seats to move to!

• edited October 2023

They could at least save their moaning until it came out he was actually making a political stand.

I'm not convinced it was actually political and could easily have been more a Gazza style inability to stay still and nervous energy.

• Home games are hassle free as you stay away from the tiny body of kids/abusive types.

But the local sell out away games you're simply at the utter lotto of being right in the middle of them.

I remember being at Luton away once. Had got in a nice seat right near the front, purposely to be as far away from the booze/late gang.

Then the dread at 2.58 when they all staggered in booze and worse fuelled, and had to go right in the rows behind me as that was the only spaces.

90mins of screaming all sorts of horrible stuff over myhead, clattering me ever so often to get 2mm closer to the pitch.

Screaming about Hylton balding, when one very well known bald fan was about 2metres away from them was the strangest one.

• Killian Phillips is really starting to go viral on twitter. 200,000+ views across multiple tweets

• Hear hear @eric_plant my views exactly. Support the team and our players.

• It came as absolutely no surprise to me that the Mail Online picked up on this with its usual lack of facts and overload of the annoying "one fan said ... another added ...." modern journalism style.

Random talking heads = "The News"

(and no, I wasn't reading The Mail Online)

• They will need to distract from the Covid inquiry into the behaviour of their columnist...

• Well said @eric_plant. I don't know about anybody else's grandad, but mine fought for the freedom of people not to be made to behave in a particular way by little dictators and, provided they weren't infringing others' rights, to be able to freely act in accordance with their their beliefs.

Killian, it was really nothing.

• Why am I getting downvoted? I support Killian’s display of his beliefs. I think he handled it really well, actually. A nice subtle approach.

• edited October 2023

Probably because it starts off from one gimp makes a thing on it in some dark corner of the internet, then every forum's anorak brings it to the attention of everyone in a "look what some idiot on twitter (X) is saying", then suddenly it starts attracting more negative thoughts, and before you know it, nothing has become something,.

• Thought i'd post one of my favourite songs in support of one of our own....'Killian's Red' by Nada Surf https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urNKE2Cp_oo

• Dont worry about it, I get downvoted for writing numbers... 😀

• And I'm fairly sure the British Legion hate the whole 'forced remembrance' attitude as it goes completely against their values.

• There's definitely some closet flagshaggers on here. And at least one not so closeted, though I don't think we've seen him since he last accidentally put his bigotry on display.

• Wouldn't shagging a flag be seen as desecrating it, therefore going against those people's beliefs?

• Didn't stop our brave statue defenders getting tanked up and peeing all over one.

• edited October 2023

The comments on the Mail Online article really make you despair of some of the inhabitants of this country.

Things like ‘provo scum’, ‘happy to take the king’s shilling though’, ‘fuck off back to Ireland’

All the comments like this massively upvoted.

Unbelievable that so many people in our society are so backward in 2023.