Skip to content

Match Day Thread: Oxford

Comments

• I also heard a woman behind me refer to him as an 'IRA fucker' at one point.

Not doubt she's a student of Irish history and it was a carefully considered remark...

• Ah, that's interesting. Surprisingly little about it online.

• If it doesn't fall on the weekend that you are playing at home, observe it away from home. I'm not observing it two weeks ahead of time, it is unseemly.

• Leahy is an incredible penalty taker. Both pens today as good as impossible to save (0.99 post-shot xG for each, which is pretty much as close to perfect as you're going to get).

• edited October 2023

Not sure about anyone else but my grandparents fought WW2 for freedom of expression. Never bothers me if someone does not want to wear a poppy. And the idea we English respect the traditions and cultures of the countries we visit is laughable. (Unless we are getting 700,000 quid a week...)

Good point by the sound of it.

• edited October 2023

Always have one a year @Ed_ that particularly gripping second one courtesy of posting from my phone!

I assume even that will get at least one thumbs down

• I was in two minds as to which of the two to POTD, the first I could not agree more with and I wish we had not lost that attitude which used to be so prevalent in my formative years. The second, I knew what you had done but it tickled me in a 'least said, soonest mended' way.

• During a minute’s silence, Philips has the right to observe it, or not observe it, as he likes.

If you don’t like it, run for office as a despotic totalitarian and force him to do it next time we play at the kassam.

While you’re at it, fix the next game so we win.

Otherwise, shut up.

• We are having too many minutes of silence at football. It feels like there is one every week.

It is two weeks to Remembrance Sunday, way too early for the silence today.

We are devaluing the impact.

• A couple if seasons ago players were still warming up and hoofing a ball over the man playing the last post at AP.

• Do we actually have any idea that he was standing apart bouncing around as part of some sort of political gesture?

As opposed to a highly energetic, frenetic style of passionate player just finding it difficult to stay still!?

• edited October 2023

Surely the silence was not for Rememberance Sunday but for what is going in elsewhere in the world right now?

At Peterborough, I was in a box and a Posh fan moaned that he got held at the turnstiles during the minute silence due to "a fucking minutes silence for terrorists". Unbelievable.

• It'd probably have been better used for that, but I think Oxford said it was to be held today as the closest home league game to Remembrance Sunday.

They do have a game in the FA cup at home next week, but they might have planned this before knowing they definitely had a home tie, or decided a non league team in the cup wasn't as fitting a game.

Did seem an odd one.

• Perhaps it is stipulated by the EFL that you have to do it at the nearest available opportunity. Imagine the uproar if they didn't do it at all.

• Yep, some seem quite put out it was 2 weeks early, but surely better today than not at all?

• The trouble is if you hold it this week you then have potentially two more weeks of having to do the same as a player or supporter.

(For me) this certainly loses the poignancy of Remembrance Day and risks diluting the meaning.

Are the EFL seriously saying that clubs HAVE to hold it regardless?

• While on the subject, @giantpoppywatch is a fantastic Twitter follow

• Having just seen the goals, our first was definitely a pen, the second was soft, but in the 'seen them given,' category. The ref bought what Oxford were selling for their equalizer, but Luke's got to be a bit less naive there.

• I don't see anyone advocating for not at all. It isn't an international weekend so all teams have a fixture over that weekend, players and fans can show their respects then. Fans who don't follow their teams away still have the opportunity to pay their respects at 11 on the Sunday morning. I simply don't see why any other provision is necessary or where the uproar would come from.

• We live in a world where people’s grasp of history is non existent.

• @LX1 What are the rules about the Stokenchurch cutting, in the event of a draw? Presumably, we keep it, as we were in possession after last season's double. Like the Ashes, right?

• It would be interesting to know how other L1 clubs in a similar situation to Oxford (i.e. last home league game before Nov 11 but playing lesser opposition at home in FA Cup in 1st round) handled this. I believe that Barnsley, Bristol Rovers & Cambridge all were faced with a similar scenario - anybody know what decision was made at these clubs regarding the minute's silence?

• Correct. Furthermore they would have to invade and win at Adams Park to gain possession, as stipulated by the Ibstone Treaties of 1995.

• Not surprising when the history curriculum omits most of the atrocities committed by the British - although if they were to cover all of them, the poor kids wouldn't have time to learn any other subjects.

• Here's one of our flag-shagging goons suggesting Phillips doesn't play until after Remembrance Day 😂 https://twitter.com/dunni489/status/1718334808420393459

• As someone who identifies as English, I am aware that I am from a country that hasn’t been invaded and occupied for a very very long time. Yet we have done precisely that for many centuries and there are people alive today who will have spoken to people with lived experience of our state sanctioned brutal use of power or witnessed it first hand. I can quite understand why they may not wish to take part in Remembrance Sunday. This does not mean they support terrorism or wish for the destruction of England or cannot also see what good England has done at times in history. They may hold a nuanced position that many people, woefully, and sometimes willingly, ignorant of history do not.

For a player on the pitch it’s a very difficult position to be in. To be true to his or her belief he or she will have to declare it in public in ways the rest of us may not have to. I am a republican and don’t sing God Save The King because I don’t believe in the sentiment. I’ve never had 10000 people looking at me and judging me for that action.