Skip to content

Local Teams Football

Comments

• I can't find "most fouled" stats but, yes, he received a lot of yellows that season.

• Getting more yellows than Doherty takes some work

• Although Doherty’s ‘PPG’ was higher

• Cor, some of those names on that list bring back memories

• FmGFmG
    edited September 3

Memory of him was that he loved a dive, well taught at Chelsea.

• Tommy Doherty was so so good. He'd make us absolutely purr with the players he'd have around him this season

• I have zero recollection of Sam Stockley.

• Doherty Scowen would be my Wycombe all-time CM pairing

• We could do with a central midfield hub like Barry Bannan at Sheffield Wednesday.

• Remember him from Barnet, Right back, vaguely remember he signed for us, thought he'd only played a few times though. 30 odd that season apparently.

• Stick Steve Thompson in there with them and we're heading for the Premier League

• Could we get back to Holmer Green please and Keith Scott’s pugnacious cajoling.

• Could also play centre back, good on the ball and an organiser IIRC. How is he 46?!!

• Left back (or maybe right back?) signed from ColU. Only with us for one season i think.

• edited September 3

Sam Stockley was a steady defender on the ‘Danny Foster level’. I.e not as flamboyant or iconic as Uhlenbeek and Jombati but levels above Steve Dell and Chris Marsh.

Good luck to Holmer Green tonight, albeit I used to watch Chalfont semi-regularly and retain a soft spot for them. Their bright start to the season seems to have fizzled out but they can’t sink much lower in the pyramid, which was Holmer’s saving grace last season. Keith Scott seems to have built his own side now and has them well drilled so would expect them to nick a win - famous last words.

• edited September 3

Sam Stockley was a solid player for us without being.... clearly..... from comments here..... "memorable "

• Amersham beat Athletic Newham 1-0 tonight and reach the FA Cup 2QR for the first time ever, when they will travel to Burgess Hill Town. Attendance 181. Winning goal from Sidney Gueye (45+2').

https://youtu.be/VXGh7AqYYI8?si=nNvZVja8Ar2bdtsX

• Well done to Amersham Town for pipping Athletic Newham 1-0 in their FAC1QR Replay.

Holmer Green beat Chalfont 2-0 in the Combined Counties Div 1 while in the same league Windsor & Eton’s game v Spartans Youth was abandoned with the hosts 3-0 up. I presume medical emergency or injury? I hope all OK.

In the National League South, Chesham continue to adjust well to their new surroundings, winning 2-1 at last season’s promotion rivals, Salisbury.

Slough were beaten 2-0 by Weston Super-Mare.

• The Windsor & Eton game was abandoned due to a floodlight failure. Second time in a week apparently, a friendly game last week was also abandoned.

• Chesham 2-1 down at home to Aveley in the 92nd minute. Then score in the 93rd and 94th minutes to win 3-2

• Great fun at Chesham today v Aveley. Chesham came back from 2 nil down with two goals in added time. Adam Leathers played for Aveley. 1116 in attendance.

• I thought they would struggle in this higher league, but they are doing OK with 10 points from 7 games and in a respectable 12th place.

• Sounds like it was a thrilling day out at The Meadow.

I went to watch Holmer Green go down 3-0 at home to Yateley United. Harsh scoreline in some ways as the Greens put in a lot of effort but one of those games where they could’ve played for 180 minutes and not scored. Yateley were better on the ball and punished some poor defending. A crowd of 92 in attendance which I think is pretty decent for Step 6.

• I thought losing Ricardo German to Hemel was tough but they’ve done well. Interesting that Chesham get better crowds than Slough.

Spare a thought for Marlow - promoted to the punishing Southern Prem South and rock bottom with a single point following a 2-1 defeat to Gloucester City today.

• I'm glad they got the win, first time I've seen them get 3 points there in a handful of visits

• Oops, should have posted in this thread.

[Repost] Making a second visit to the Spencer Stadium, Banbury this afternoon. 

Goalless at half-time between third (Banbury United) and first (Stamford) in the Southern League Premier (Central).

The home side should be leading but saw a first half penalty saved by Stamford goalkeeper Tom Jackson.

Entertaining contest in front of a decent crowd of 778.

[cont] Banbury United won it 1-0 with a close range finish from Harry Reilly in injury time. Stamford had big chances to score either side of the goal. A draw would probably have been fair.

• Winslow Utd 2-6 Potton Utd, Spartan Prem.

Third v fourth but Winslow had won all five league games and were exceeding all expectations.

A tight first half with few attempts on goal, the visitors scored just before half-time, after the ref had the whistle in mouth, about to blow for a clear foul on a Winslow player, but didn't, to everyone's amazement.

After an extended HT break, the ref failed to appear, a Winslow coach said "he said he had a hamstring but he bottled it". He appeared to be moving freely in the first half, not that he moved much with his advancing years. A home player, not in the squad, then ran the line.

Potton raced into a six goal lead with some excellent moves and finishing, Winslow looked mentally finished after the third. They were missing their main goalscorer and leader, Aaron King, but their best player, left winger Harry Scott, forced an own goal with some trickery, and then scored a 25 yarder, the keeper helping it into the bottom corner. Attendance 122.

MK Irish beat Harpenden 8-0 today, six out of six and looking like the team to beat in this division.

• edited September 7

• Went to the Maidenhead v Dagenham and Redbridge game which finished 1-1. A real nice match day experience with a real novel idea of having a digital match day programme which is included in the admission cost. To access the digital programme you simply scanned a QR code which was displayed at the turnstiles. The online programme is 40 pages and a really good read. What a great idea!!!!!!

Will De Haviland and Junior Morias were on show today. The stand out players however were both from D&R namely, Tim Akinola and Dion Periera.

• Another thing which was very noticeable at the Maidenhead game today was the fact that they appear to have a much younger supporter base than us.