Skip to content

Your current opening day XI if everyone is fit

Comments

• Have to agree with this, if Grimmer is fit then he starts on merit, over and above any new signings.

• We have so many definite defensive starters I fear we are going to be playing a 7-2-1!!!

• Agree. I seem to remember when Chelsea "got rid" of Kevin de Bruyne.

• Jack Grimmer was excellent last season and it is inconceivable to think he may not make the starting 11. However presuming we are 3 at the back it will be 3 from 6 if Forino is here / fit and JJ is considered as a LCB.

concerned that Jack didn’t feature versus Dagenham or Aldershot. Hopefully he hasn’t picked up the dreaded knock

• Yes I’m of that view too. If fit, and it sounds like he is for the game with Wealdstone tonight, then Grimmer starts against Exeter. Even over Forino.

Assuming a back three, which is seemingly more and more likely, then it’s one of Forino, Taf or Keogh for the central role. What an embarrassment of riches that is. Personally I’d go with Taf.

The left side is harder. There’s only Taf or JJ who are naturally left footed. I think I would resist the urge to move Taf there just because we also have Forino and Keogh who can play in the centre. It really didn’t work last time we tried it.

So for me it’s JJ, unless he’s needed as a holding midfielder. Even so he’s not going to play Sat - Tue -Sat for 10 months is he? so we need to either strengthen in that area or find out if one of the right footed lads can play there (as Paul McCarthy used to).

• Of course Grimmer starts. You can see in his eyes that he is a winner. Future captain material for me

• Think McCarthy and Vokes are more likely captains

• I agree with Grimmer starting as well. Grimmer was excellent last season and as someone else mentioned above, a future captain.

• 🎶 Grimmer Grimmer Grimmer, that man is our right (centre) back...🎶

Nope

• He was nailed on before we brought in players Bloomfield has specifically targeted.

• It is a long season and we are in (possibly) four cup competitions...they'll all get to play. If MB does not rate Grimmer even after our lacklustre finish, I would be very surprised.

• When you can make a case for six CBs being nailed on, it is probably an indication that none of them are.

• edited July 2023

Last time I looked the skipper had to be on the pitch not the bench.

• McCarthy definitely has it all to do to be a regular now we've specifically signed a right wing back. Albeit one who perhaps has a bit of an injury record and can also play left wing back too?

• The irony is, there is always a point before the season where it feels like we can't squeeze everyone in, and yet there is always inevitably a point during the season where we feel ravaged by injuries and playing square pegs in round holes.

• It seems to me that everyone has it all to do. There's more competition for places than I can actually recall. Got to be a good thing.

• Wonder what JJ’s been doing on the bench all this time then…… I know you hate McCarthy but he was vice captain to JJ and I can’t imagine Blooms stripping either yet.

• Jason McCarthy is Wycombe through and through and is still an important member of our squad in my opinion.

Jason always gives 100% for the team.

• McCarthy has to be the least worthy player of an internet forum grudge ever.

• I can only assume that those fans who have issues with players have never actually met any of the players.

It's certainly been my experience that they are some of the most likeable people I've encountered (even if GMac did overstate the severity of his leg injury 🩼, leaving me to regret mentioning the meeting).

• Ahh was that you who was adamant he was out for months and then he played the next week?

• edited July 2023

I don’t “hate McCarthy”, I don’t hate anyone to do with Wycombe. It’s just that JMc isn’t a good enough player these days for a team with promotion aspirations. I get that a certain fan base admire huff and puff but that not going to get us pushing for promotion. He is a utility player, think a rusty version of Wheeler’s Swiss Army knife.

• Yep ...

At the player sponsors dinner he said he was out for 6 weeks, and if we made the play-offs he'd definitely be involved - then back in the starting 11 two weeks later.

• I also think Macca is much maligned.

• McCarthy had a bit of a down season but in our red hot form at the end of the Championship season he was unplayable at times. Absolute diamond of a character, too.

• A couple of answers to my concerns over the LCB position tonight. First half saw Luke Leahy slot into the role with Keogh central and Grimmer right, looked a pretty solid trio.

Second half saw Big Chris play LCB with JJ surprisingly in the centre of the 3 (with Low replacing Grimmer at RCB around 60 minutes in). Didn't think Chris looked wholly comfortable there but he tended to do well forcing any Wealdstone attacks wide. Good to see Matty trying these sort of things out in pre-season.

• Would imagine our captains will be Jacobson, Keogh, Leahy in that order.

• A few clubs are going down the route of a 'leadership group' rather than an outright captain these days, which I suppose the 'generals' concept kind of was.

• Vokes is probably high in the pecking order too.