Skip to content

Your current opening day XI if everyone is fit

edited July 2023 in Football

It looks pretty clear we are going with the wingbacks, so I would look at the following for opening day if everyone is fit:

GK Stryjek

RWB Vincent-Young

CB Forino

CB Tafazolli

CB Jacobson

LWB Boyes

DM Scowen

CM Leahy

CAM GMac

ST Vokes

ST Taylor

Not a bad looking side, though I don't know if Taylor is someone to play alongside Vokes or as another option. An alternate would be GMac as the second forward with Breckin or Wheeler back in midfield.

What is your take?

Comments

• edited July 2023

Potentially more of a 3-4-2-1 with a box midfield - albeit not a double pivot as that's overkill with a back 3 - and GMac and Breckin behind Vokes

• Would broadly agree with this @Shev, although am yet to see any of the new lads in action so will pass my final judgement after both the Wealdstone and Cardiff matches.

My one concern would be the lack of mobility in the left-side of the back three. I fear both JJ and Taff may struggle to deal with the pace of Exeter's Nombe (and quite possibly some of the other nippier League One attackers we'll face this season). I've loved watching JJ prove us wrong time and time again over the last few years but, with the addition of Leahy and his set piece/penalty-taking prowess, as well as some strong recruitment in defence, I do wonder whether he may not start quite as many league games this season as he did last season.

Unless Big Chris heads off to join Ainsworth before the start of the season, is it possible he might start in the LCB role? Can't say it would help his ability to play out from the back with him finding the ball on his weaker left side more often but, defensively, I think this could be a smart move. Grimmer could do a job here too but he's possibly not quite quick enough to warrant dropping JJ. Another option would be to keep JJ at LCB and move Chris into the central role of the three CBs who, in my opinion, could provide better cover for JJ than Taff. Grimmer or Keogh could then slot in at RCB although it would be a shame to not have Taff start with all the composure and organisational skills that he possesses.

This is by no means a criticism of Taff and JJ as players, they're both great and I'm always pleased to see them on the team sheet. I just think a more permanent move to a back 3 consisting of the two could see us found out against some of the speedier opposition attacks this season, especially with Boyes likely to be bombing on from LWB a lot of the time.

It is certainly possible that I might be overthinking this issue of pace and it is a testament to the job that Matty and his team have done so far this transfer window that it is only this minor nitpick that I can think of with our current squad. Roll on Exeter!

• Great post @PukkaPie - and the issue of how and when JJ properly fades from the scene is likely to be fraught with emotion, given what a legendary servant he has been. He has a habit of proving everyone wrong, but that can't last forever, I suppose. I wonder if the move to midfield in the Aldershot game was truly of necessity, or experimenting with ways to extend his career?

• It seems unlikely Keogh doesn't start surely?

Even Bloomfield has says he's here to play.

• Agree with Malone. Pretty sure that Keogh is going to start. He brings proper leadership and communication to that defence which we have not seen in some time. We saw that on Saturday. I think he will be the first defender on the team sheet.

• edited July 2023

My thread is hypothetical anyway, as unfortunately I fear our rotten luck with injuries will dictate! I would be ecstatic if Forino, Scowen and Vokes were all to be available by opening day.

• That looks like a decent 11 @Shev if everybody is fit

Taking into account Forino is at least 2 weeks behind in fitness and like @Malone says, Keogh is here to play that would be my only change.

JJ has looked excellent on the left of 3. That whole left side block of Taf, JJ, Boyes and Leahy looks very solid.

It will be interesting to see how GMac fits into this. In my opinion our best attacking player

• Surprised that no one has mentioned Joe Low who impressed me more than anyone at Aldershot. I think he could be a great acquisition.

• Harsh on Grimmer who looked worthy of one of the three positions at the back. Keogh also probably a good shout to start. Someone will be disappointed. Think JJ might be one to keep back and use for cover a bit more this year.

In Midfield have to have a look at Breckin and Leahy to see how far forward they will both play and how creative they are. GMac behind Taylor up front has to be likely how we'll start and then if that goes for a while before Vokes returns it's for Breckin and GMac and Taylor to all show they are worth their shirts.

• It seems we have so many injuries, so many new signings and so many players who will have unsuitable match fitness on the opening day that it is impossible to predict accurately.

To answer the question - if everyone is fit and ready - then I’d like to see a much more familiar team than most posters on here because a lot of the signings we’ve made will have barely trained together for three/four weeks by the time of the opening day.

I’d go with: Stryjek; McCarthy, Grimmer, Tafazolli, JJ, Boyes; Scowen, Leahy; Wheeler, McCleary, Vokes.

Keep it tight at the back to begin with and utilise the exciting new signings mostly from the bench.

• Yes I agree. I think Joe Low will be a starter.

At least we have a lot of choices now and Matt and his team have brought in real exciting players.

• Not ideal not having everyone for pre-season but with people rusty from the off season and new signings bedding in it's the nature of the thing. I think you have to try and go with your preferred formation and strongest XI to bed them in, in the league if necessary, the loanees won't have come to benchwarm and won't get acclimatised without playing.

• But an impressive maiden post, @PukkaPie.

• Ha ha. JJ is the new Bloomfield...great player...love the guy but he's past it. Don't see him playing many games this season. ( I back him to defy the odds yet again myself.)

• I think I'd include Low in my back three, was quite surprised at how fast he was and definitely a very promising player. I'd personally go with Low, Forino in the middle and Taff as the left sided CB, with Kane as the RWB and Harry Boyes as the LWB to start.

Think Blooms is going to have his work cut out with managing everyone's game time and expectations, as it's fair to say that Grimmer, JJ, McCarthy and Keogh would all have potential claims to that starting XI too. However, I'd rather have more depth and competition than less and it's a good problem to have for MB.

• edited July 2023

Bit harsh, Thought he had some very good games at centre back, would tend to agree about him at LB where he tries to make up for a lack of pace by being overly aggressive.

• I'm joking @StrongestTeam as the last line suggests . Bloomfield had some people on here saying he was past it for three seasons. And he carried on. Now it's JJ's turn. I'll get my coat.

• @frequentstander great wind up, JMc in defence over all the other options! Almost spilt my tea. Very good. More like this to brighten a rainy Monday please.

• Ah, Fair enough, bit early for me. Was there ever a time people didn't write Blooms off? Seems as old as time.

• I think 3-4 weeks is plenty of time for new players to settle in. Before transfer windows were invented players would sign for a club on Friday and play the following day!

• Didn’t Alfie sign in the morning before our opening game away to Newport?

• Correct.

• I can’t remember but he certainly joined late in the week. Professional players are used to moving clubs in their careers and a month of training with new team mates gives sufficient time to integrate them tactically.

• Roy Keane got off the plane from Cork and cloughie played him the next day apparently someone asked Des Walker who he was during the game and was told 'I have no idea.'

• My back 5 would be

Vincent-Young, Low, Keogh, Taff, Boyes.

Don't think Forino will be match fit (if still here) Grimmer and JJ on the bench. Although feels harsh for Grimmer as he was excellent last season. But Vincent-Young and Boyes have obviously been brought in as starters

• Doesn't feel impossible given injuries/illness that the starting line up will be

Stryjek,

VY, Low, Keogh, Tafa, Boyes

Tetek

Leahy Breckin

Gmac

Taylor

In which case eight debutants.

• Wow eight debutants, who would have thought that would possibly happen when we were all waiting for the first incoming four weeks or so back.

• To me, it appears that Low has all the attributes needed to succeed here but am slightly concerned by his less than glowing reviews from the Walsall fans.

Sounds as if he played well against Aldershot and also kept a clean sheet against Arsenal though so shouldn’t be too much to worry about as it looks we’ll be playing to his strengths. He’s still only 21 after all so plenty of time to develop and learn from our squad’s experience as well as the Wales national team. Always nice to have a player with a slight point to prove against his previous teams too!