Skip to content

The Ashes

Comments

• And thinking about it whilst waiting to drop off to sleep I cottoned on to what you meant. Even boxers only do it for half an hour or so.

• Aussies absolutely shot. Gonna win the ashes thanks to weather. Horrible.

• edited July 2023

Sorry, @TheAndyGrahamFanClub, are you saying that, despite being absolutely shot, the Aussies are going to retain the Ashes?

I’m not exactly a born optimist but I’m very confident that we’ll win this one.

I think you’ll find that Anderson will be at his very best this afternoon.

• The ball is moving. I just think we will run out of time and the Aussies will be looking more at the weather forecast than the scoreboard. Would have liked to see a bit more speed this morning to get a 200 lead but I’ve moaned about being reckless in the past so can’t have it each way. Tense afternoon incoming

• I think we should declare now and just get straight on with it after lunch, 190 is a big enough lead. The weather forecast has turned a little again for Sunday, was awful, then looking better, now not as good again. I don't think they will get past that 190 today (famous last words) but if we can get them 5 or 6 down would be great.

• This will be over today. The Aussies will be mentally shot.

By an innings and quite a lot

• Wowsers !! Is this really you @bookertease ?

Tongue firmly in cheek, no doubt!

• I would declare now with Barstow on 98. He needs some motivation it seems.

• Well that was fun. 5 wickets today and there’ll be enough time between the rain to finish them off.

”Two nil and you fucked it up”

• Should've declared earlier, bit silly really just trying to get Bairstow his 100... team should come first ! Ashes are on the line ffs

• I am a born optimist. Other than when it comes to Wycombe games

• It’s all over now, I fear. But weather doesn’t always obey the meteorologists.

Win at the Oval and we square the series but Aussies retain the urn.

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2023

'We've lost the ashes, but hey the crowd got to see Bairstow hit some sixes on Friday afternoon. That's the main thing!'

• I think we’ll only need a couple of hours to finish them off.

I can’t believe the weather will be that bad over the next two days not to get that in.

I just think the weather gods are trying to add excitement to what would have been (and still may be) a one-sided thrashing.

Anyone know the last time two whole days of test cricket were rained off in this country?

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2023

Looking at LX's state of the art radar system, we could get two hours in after lunch today. Tomorrow the rain clears around 3pm onwards. So potentially 2 sessions left at a max I would say. England currently 2/1 to win.

• Due to resume at 2.45 if no more rain.

Looks like they could get a couple of hours in. That, plus a couple of hours tomorrow, refreshed bowlers, cloudy conditions and dampness encroaching onto pitch, should suffice.

Fingers, toes etc (make up your own) crossed.

• Play has restarted but the Aussies, unsurprisingly, are in no rush to score, they just want to try & see this out without loss until the next rain break....

• Frustrating pitch. Not doing as much as we hoped. Two very capable batsman who are now well in. Need an error or a piece of magic.

• Fair play to Labuschagne for his century, along with Marsh he has frustrated England

• Yes , all very frustrating ! I'm even considering taking the dog out for a walk in the rain, just in case it brings a change of luck !

• Rooooooooot

and I know I’m biased but he should walk. He knew he hit it.

• Forecasts aren't pretty... Not sure we will get even 2 hours tomorrow! This one is petering out to a draw.

• Our performance today was shocking, it was like a mid table team playing the last game of the season.

11.3 overs an hour until light intervened and forced them to bowl Root and Ali. It wasn’t much better overall in the first innings.

We should have been running back to our mark, had plenty of people around the bat and tried to put them under lots of pressure.

If we don’t win this one then they retain the Ashes.

I know they’re not meant to look at the weather but we batted on too long yesterday as well.

Rant over.

Lets just hope it brightens up tomorrow and all this can be forgotten.

• I did think I was watching a repeat of Lords day 1. Very little variation. Just waiting for mistakes.

• Forecast for today now looks truly dreadful.

Farcical that they haven't been playing longer into the evening on day 1-3.

• If only we batted sensibly for one single session in the opening two tests.

• This got 3 thumbs down and one thumb up (from me). We could have declared well before lunch and at least known what was required. But oooh sixes!

• Exactly. You're not going to win a game unless you take 20 wickets, so give yourself a chance to take them, then just chase if you have to chase !

• Either way, it is farcical for rain to decide an Ashes. How England are not sweeping this series is a tale of woe.