Skip to content

The Ashes

Comments

• PS I thought we all had BBC 4.

• Perhaps I should study my listings more carefully.

• England doing it again, got into a great position and letting it slip !

• 260 chase when we struggle to get 237 in the first makes the optimism a bit misplaced.

Fun afternoon though

• International field hockey - at short corners the ball is often coming at the keeper at at least 90mph

• I think we’re going to do it this time.

• I agree. With two days left and the pitch decent we really shouldn’t have any problems.

This test has been superb though. It’s changed from session to session, day to day and been gloriously unpredictable.

As long as we can keep Stokes and Wood fit I reckon we can win the ashes back

• edited July 2023

Let’s hope bazball will be moderated by intelligence and plain common sense today.

It would also be great if Stokes could be got fit. He’s been far from fit the whole series, unfortunately, and I suspect that nothing short of surgery to his left knee is going to restore him to the level of fitness he’d aspire to. Even in his present state his captaincy alone justifies his presence though.

• Scoring more runs in the series than any of his teammates must surely justify his presence too….

• ‘Must win’ day today…

• It’s going to be squeaky bum day - more so than any other day.

• Squeak squeak!

• Typical Crawley, probably best shot of the test match so far, followed by nicking off the next ball !

• Typical, as you say, @HolmerBlue.

As a Kentish Man (west side of Medway) - Man of Kent (MOKE) east) - I tend to despair at the way Crawley so often flatters to deceive. The continuing faith in him sometimes seems ill-judged but perhaps the choice of alternatives is somewhat limited. I don’t follow County Cricket closely enough to know.

• Curses. “Barn Door” description followed by dismissal.

• Never in doubt.

• I bloody love Mark Wood !!

• Well done England. Still in it!

• It’s been a while since a group of cricket and non cricket fans have gathered around a muted TV and TMS to watch an England test.

Thrilling stuff. Even with 11 to get and three wickets in hand I was still convinced we were capable of blowing it.

• Yes, this was true for us too.

@railwaybeth and I have had a remarkably pleasing two in two days as we went to the 3rd Womens Ashes T20 at Lords last night and watched England - on a high pressure rain-shortened 14 over chase with an initial required run rate of 8.50 - get to two runs required with 5 wickets and 8 balls in hand. Then losing the wickets of both vice-Captain Nat Schiver-Brunt and Captain Heather Knight before Dani Gibson finished if off with 4 balls to go. England win the T20 portion of the multi format series 2 - 1.

Three ODIs to go - Bristol on Wednesday and Southampton on Sunday and Taunton on the following Tuesday - the Womens Ashes will be settled before the mens. England need to not lose at all because Australia only need one win. I believe all three games are sold out.

• I wasn't totally comfortable until we got to single figures lol.

I let out a scream of 'yes' when Wood hit that 6, made my missus jump. That went down well

• edited July 2023

I was preparing vegetables in the kitchen, listening to TMS, when Bairstow failed yet again with the bat. Harry Brook was scoring at a decent rate and with so much time left in the match he could afford to play himself in. Maybe he did. I wasn’t watching. Whatever, my own scream was more protracted and less polite than your reaction to Mark Woods six. mrs micra shouted “you ok” , thinking I must have severed a finger at the very least.

I apologised of course but I’m afraid she seemed unimpressed by my effort to explain the importance of the game and the level of passion that is engendered by this incredible Test series. They just don’t understand, do they !!

• Last night you could still buy premium tickets at all games.

• So what do we think will be the starting XI for the next test match at Old Trafford? Should Bairstow be allowed to continue keeping? Does he stay as a batsmen? I don't think we'll see Stokes bowl again in this series and I just hope he's given time to allow himself to recover and whatever is hurting to repair itself.

This would be my starting XI if I was a selector:

1) Duckett

2) Crawley

3) Stokes (Bairstow in if Stokes isn't fit)

4) Root

5) Brook

6) Foakes

7) Ali

8) Woakes

9) Wood

10) Tongue

11) Broad or Anderson (depending on conditions & pitch)

• Think that is spot on. Would go Anderson over Broad given it is his home ground.

• Lawrence possibly for Tongue.

We worry about the age of our best 11 but these lads are older to a man than the Wycombe 11

• But if you did that, you'd end up with only 3 seam bowlers and 1 spinner as Stokes can't / shouldn't bowl for the rest of this series. The man lives and breathes for the England team but slowly, his body is failing him so perseverance should be the only thing we need to worry about.

Pace bowling is one of the most un-natural positions that is needed in sport which is why my selection isn't based on age. The bowlers that England have available need to have a recovery period and we know from the Wycombe squad that the older someone is, the longer they need to recover.

• Stokes is not going to be anywhere near fully fit for the foreseeable future but even a 65% -75% fit Stokes has to play for the reasons previously adduced (eg extraordinarily imaginative field settings, incredible knowledge of opponents weaknesses, an unusual level of awareness of everything going on around him and, just occasionally, explosive batting).

Stokes is not a number three in my opinion. Bairstow is probably more used to batting there and could “come good” but his confidence must be shot and I’d much rather see Foakes behind the stumps and batting at number seven after Stokes at six. That’s assuming that Ollie Pope will have recovered from his shoulder injury by 19 July and resumes at number three.

With unsettled weather forecast for at least the next 7-10 days, I think a recall of Jimmy Anderson is probably on the cards. Warner’s nemesis surely needs to play (!) but Tongue offers slightly greater pace.

Who’d be a selector.

• edited July 2023

I'd also go with that, apart from maybe Anderson for Tongue, not sure out of the 2, maybe Jimmy should get one last go on his home ground. But then I do realise that's a bit of a sentimental way of looking at it.

I'd stick with Broad as he's looked pretty fit this series and still looking dangerous. If he does need a rest then obviously Anderson and Tongue