Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• neither will happen, players want too but management won't sanction the deal.

• That’s barely a rumour. I would count that as a suggestion.

• I wouldn't get either. We need to concentrate on developing younger players. I accept you need older heads in a squad, but we already have these in the likes of Taff, McCleary, Vokes, Sadlier, Wheeler, Scowen and Grimmer.

• Fred is 27…potentially about to hit his prime! I’m not saying I think we can get him, but if we do, we would be re-signing a player who now has plenty of Championship and Premier League experience. If the money was right, it’s a no-brainer signing in my opinion.

• This piece reads like a come and get me plea from their agents. Assuming the agents are the source of the piece, it would suggest no contact has been made, therefore no signings will happen (as surely contact would have been made already if any interest).

• I doubt if the information has come from anywhere near them. Probably more along the lines that neither of them have said in public ‘I would hate to play for Wycombe again’.

• Yes.... I expect thats definitely closer to the reality

• I would be suprised if they both don't find decent championship clubs

• It'd be unreal for Fred to come back at this point in time. He was turning out in the Premier league last year so it seems unlikely that he can't get a championship team.

However, if he's not fixed up in 3 or 4 weeks things might change.

• I can’t see there will be major incomings apart from loans. The squad is pretty loaded now and without significant outs there simply won’t be enough spaces.

I also think Matt will have learnt from the loan frenzy of last summer that was not a success.

• Two or three good loan signings would really help if we are to be pushing for the play-offs. Not sure about the squad size and available spaces, maybe one of our stats lads can help with clarifying our current position.

• I don't know, I didn't think we can class last season's loans as unsuccessful. Yes, Breckin was overhyped and wasn't ready for us at all. However, I thought Boyes & Philips started really well but due to a change in formation and injuries, they slowing found themselves out of the picture which lead to them being recalled.

We all thought Campbell was awful however Matt either saw something promising on the training ground to keep giving him opportunities OR there was a financial aspect that meant that we had to play him. Kodua was unlikely to see more game time but he looked promising when he was given the opportunity. Nigel and Freddie were amazing loans and we could not have asked for better.

There is always going to be a mixed bag of abilities when dipping into the loan market but I don't think Matt did too bad overall.

• I think we will see two or three loans come in. At least one of which from West Ham.

• Breckin, Boyes and Phillips were sent back early. I would struggle to call them a success. Breckin and Phillips especially were odd jigsaw pieces that never fitted the puzzle. On paper exciting players, maybe we were advised to sign them and got swept away in their hype either way they were not good enough. Boyes less so but he certainly didn't work. After not having hardly any loans to have six was kind of a strange time. Potts and Lonwijk proved that loans can be amazing of course. Campbell less so.

But it is a real balancing act. Signing a Campbell at the expense of Hanlan, or any one of our wide players would be a mistake for example.

• Lonwijk, Potts and Taylor were very good loans. Boyes played well until the system was changed and Phillips seemed to be well capable but maybe not the right character fit. Campbell was not up to it and Kodua was here for experience with a first team squad but showed glimpses of real class when he got his chances.

All in all Blooms did well.

• Lonwijk and Potts were very good. Taylor has to go down as an average loan, far better was expected of him. Phillips, Breckin, Boyes and Campbell all extremely disappointing. Kodua did OK. Game of opinions I suppose.

• Lonwijk and Potts were among the best loanees we've ever had, Breckin among the worst, only exacerbated by the high expectations that accompanied his signing. Boyes struggled to get into the Fleetwood team in the second half of the season, Phillips had a good three game stretch but that was it, Taylor only showed flashes of his talent.

I'm not surprised Blooms hasn't made a single loan signing yet. You live and you learn.

• Bloomfield has signed Nathan Bishop on a season-long loan from Sunderland.

• Ha! Of course he has. No loan signings that haven't been two years in the making then!

• I know it’s irrelevant now he’s gone, but Boyes was truly dreadful for the opening 3 games of the season. It was like a non league player won a competition to start at left wing back for us. He did improve for a little bit but it didn’t surprise me one bit to see him not make it into a shocking Fleetwood side.

Phillips was a bit clunky - good movement but not an upgrade on TJ. Half decent.

Lonwijk and Potts were outstanding.

Kodua showed glimpses but tough to judge with limited minutes.

Campbell was dreadful except when he fortunately won the penalty away to Reading - that was poor defending from the opposition rather than good wing play.

Breckin was utterly useless and quickly found out, as I had suspected when watching 5 minutes of his YouTube clips.

Taylor was decent at best.

That’s life when you sign that many loan players. Some will be brilliant. Some decent. Some useless. Looks like we’ve learned from it and we’ll only sign 2-3 outfield loanees at most. The squad is better-balanced with more reliable permanent players.

• edited July 24

Killian Phillips was one of those weird players where he seemed a force of nature but did not seem to have an obvious position. Maybe an 8?

Taylor looked a lot better at the 10 than as the sole striker. He had some incredible jinking runs in the second half of the season, including almost pulling off a Maradona copy (away to someone I can't recall).

• Many on the gasroom got a bit hyped up over Phillips if I remember correctly.

Despite being a bit of a passion merchant.

• Comparing Phillips to De Barr is an interesting one. Not a comparison i'd make really in any sense?

• Your first paragraph has just reminded me of Nathan Evans! Who remembers that name??

• edited July 24

don’t forget that with the euros many Premier league teams would have filled first team slots with player likely to be Loaned out, for tours and friendlies etc.

With the senior players coming back, I would expect the loan movements will happen nearer the end of the window than the start/now.

• Lolz.

I remember one time late on when he resembled some terrace oaf getting nowhere near the ball and just bundling someone.

• edited July 24

Potts and Lonwijk superb signings.... Taylor.... Goodish as a 10.... not fantastic as a 9

Killian Philips has his moments as did Boyes.... but never really excited.

Campbell was a waste of space and poor old Breckin came with so much hype but was woeful... just too young and fragile. Very much looked like the child he was.