Skip to content

Rumour Mill

Comments

• I'm with you @kipper I can understand if the board had decided after the first half on Saturday to say farewell to Matt but I'm hoping with these signings and the backing they've given that Matt & Team can now deliver.

It was always going to be a transitional season. Matt tried to change to three at the back and expansive passing football, gave it as long as it could and has then moved in a different direction. I have no issues with that. The general consensus was that the fans wanted to see football more pleasing on the eye but importantly still win games.

We've moved to a back four and a hybrid between direct football and passing football. Something GAs teams did when they were in full flow and at their best.

Butcher looks an inspired signing, he should be straight into the starting XI tomorrow. We have some, on paper, serious attacking options now.

Strap yourselves in for the last third of the season, onwards and upwards! COYB!

• Keeping Joe Low was the best bit of business during the January window.

Kone and Butcher also look very good business.

• edited February 2

We do have a decent squad on paper and have made signings in the right areas. I hope the players who were performing at the top of the division for Plymouth last season are also motivated when the prize is less glamorous.

We do need to turn a decent looking team on paper into results. I am hopeful that can happen and if so we have a squad of players at the right sort of age shaping up.

• i think the first half Saturday was explainable but not acceptable. our confidence is obviously very low then the late wigan goal happened, we then didn't get out the traps Saturday and imploded. I know the sending off was a boost but got to credit the management for getting into them and the players characters to take it on board and turn it around, so easy to go under there if they aren't playing for the manager. We all need to take the pain a little and back the team. We will get through this and the green shoots will appear.

• Very refreshing and yes we must all stick together. I strongly believe we have a bright future.

• I believe Matt probably should've gone, we've had an awful run and record. But, it's pretty obvious he's not going anywhere, the board have now backed him, so we must do the same. I think we have a great squad on paper now, and I'd much rather support the team from now to the end of the season than keep chanting for the manager to leave, as staying in league 1 is more important than personal feelings. Come on you Blues !

• Amazing how we’ve continued to get loans in despite being blacklisted by Premier League clubs for mistreating their starlets.

• edited February 2

I realise you’re tongue in cheek @arnos_grove but I also think one or two clubs may have been genuinely concerned about their young charges not getting enough game time.

I’m not keen myself on having too many loan players, especially when they are untried or with very little experience in the EFL - not least because players in that category are rarely going to be available on a permanent basis at the end of the loan period and continuity is disrupted.

Matt Bloomfield and his team have clearly acknowledged this with the “release” of four players in that category and the signing of four (?) players on a permanent basis.

The learning curve has been frustratingly slow (not least, I’m sure, for MB himself) but it definitely feels as if it will soon be producing results.

• Actually @micra we now have more loan players in the squad than before the transfer window - 6 v 5.

It's possible, when anyone watches their next match, they may not recognise half the team!

• Was that our busiest January window ever?

Six players in by my count (Longwijk, Kone, Kodua, Campbell, Lubala and Saxon Earley)

I lost track of left but there's at least three in Keogh, Boyes and Phillips. Maybe Breckin too, although unclear if he'd already gone back really.

It's basically a completely different side now. Hopefully one that can deliver some results.

• 7 in, butcher too who's probably the most experienced of the lot

• Yes. I'm still fairly pessimistic about things but the time for moaning on the internet (aka shouting into the void) is over and we have to go into quasi-religious mode for the rest of the season. Praying, crossing fingers and wearing lucky underpants. We're still in with a chance.

• edited February 2

Even as one of more the more vocal "Bloomfield Out" brigade on here, I do agree with you. However I would add that the success of the window (on paper) also leaves the management with even less excuses than before, if our dreadful form was to continue.

• Fresh start, so let’s get going and get up this league!!!!

• Let’s see how it goes all these changes could take time to work. On paper we have a very good team but let’s hope it’s not as they say in golf all the gear no idea…

• Isn't moaning precisely why the internet was invented?

• No, it was moaning about moaning.

Something I’m world class at.

• MB has an excellent relationship with Arsenal's U21 manager which hasn't come to full fruition this season but we're likely to see that bloom (pun intended) in the future.

• I sometimes like to moan about moaning about moaning

• I do think we are League One level moaners. You need to move to Yorkshire to embed yourself in Premier League levels of moaning!

Having being a very late convert to the 'MB out' crew (around 15.40 last Saturday to be precise) I would love to be proved wrong and agree that we do now all need to get behind him and the team for the rest of the season (unless he starts Campbell over Sadlier again on Saturday, in which case...)

I also think we should all respectfully agree after yesterday that @kipper is definitely ITK. It allowed me to switch off mentally and not worry about losing Low/Scowen or anyone else and hour or so earlier than I would normally have done.

• Agreed. Having climbed onto the fence at Orient came down into that camp at around the same time last week. Now I’m back on the fence again thanks to recent business.

But who is @kipper ? I’m going for the mild mannered janitor.

• I'm going to say that @kipper works in a pet shop with the fish..... (Or on a fish market stall)

• Stop moaning or ill give you something to moan about.

Moan, moan, moan, moan - that's all I ever hear.

(Moan over)

• Given my reputation, you won’t be surprised that I’m delighted to see the swing from negativity to cautious positivity on here. I’ve always believed that we will have enough in the tank to survive in League One and I think the squad has been improved in the past month.

• There’s no doubt Blooms can identify a good player and convince him to sign. There’s no doubt the owners are backing him. Sadly the only doubt that remains is the only thing that really matters.

• August 5th 2024, 2.55pm. I was about as positive and excited as I can recall about a new season. Manager with a full pre-season under his belt, host of exciting new talent in the squad, sun is out, what could go wrong? And then we got to 3:10pm, 2 goals down and they were stepping up for a penalty. My optimism setting has been adjusted, I am peaking at 'cautious'.

I do feel that we more 'knowns' in the squad now. And hopefully they will get us looking up as opposed to down pretty soon.

• Did you really feel more optimistic for a rookie manager who'd overseen a drop away from the playoffs, with a raft of new players needing to gel, over one of the Ainsworth pre seasons?

• Football fans are notoriously fickle @Malone

We've had a half decent transfer window, on paper at least, and suddenly people are getting excited about the prospect of being in with a shout of the play-offs. Or maybe that's just me?

Anyway, I hope the optimism last longer than 3:15pm tomorrow.

• Thanks for that, @Twizz.

I had in mind, perhaps incorrectly, that more permanent signings had been made during the January window than in pre-season.

Of course, because of the retention of two or three loan players who joined in the summer, there is one more currently in the squad. One who, to be quite honest, I’ve never been totally convinced by.

The overall outcome of the January comings and goings seems, on the face of it, to have strengthened the squad. That’s what led to the positivity in my post this morning - for some reason meeting with disapproval from a couple of anonymous doom-ridden fellow Gasroomers.