Skip to content

Price Increases

Comments

• Someone told me last week they had heard beer was going up to £6 next season, no idea if it's true or not, but if it is we are also considering not drinking at the ground next season, will just have a drink in town instead

• Yes it is harsh to play the "Dev doesn't come anywhere near the ground ever, so shouldnt have his beek deep in the debate" card. That's a bit harsh.

But there is always the feeling with Dev that he professionally takes the less popular viewpoint to trigger people.

• As last long as he stays professional, @Malone. With integrity and accountability!

• Not really - as he's eleven, we currently pay a mere £40. We don't have season tickets as we probably miss slightly too many games to make it worthwhile.

To be honest, I've been in Block M since the start and, for a number of reasons, I don't really want to move. As an example, we went behind the goal for the Walsall game and it was probably the most depressing match of my life!

Anyway, we'll probably pick and choose a bit more next season. This may have a positive upside as I'm becoming more disillusioned with football as time passes.

• How do you actually cancel a subscription for a season ticket?

• There was the rumour going round the Vere @HolmerBlue but not sure if it was a case of paranoid "bloke down pub told me" or based on anything real. £6 a pint would end our pre / post game drinking at the ground, a potential loss to the club of min £500+ from my little crew every game not including the food from the vendors outside.

• Your choice obviously @Meursault .

It seems like your issue is more to do with prices going up as your son gets older rather than specifically the (small) increase in prices this year.

• It’s a big jump as a day out for parents / a family as kids get older

• edited April 2023

Have you ever given the family stand a try? You and your 12YO could be in there for 33 pounds.

• I find that expensive. Our season tickets for people with between 0 and 4 seasons on their current ST was £431 for an adult along the sides, £375 in one of the corners and £319 behind the goal. for 65+ season tickets the prices were £323, £281 and £239. 5 to 9 years were cheaper and 10+ even more so. Reasonable prices IMO.

Pricing is always a sticky issue. If you're regularly filling a ground to 80% or more of capacity then you've got it about right. If the figures I've seen are correct then your average is just under 5800 with a capacity of 9448. A price reduction may well have the desired effect and fill the ground more and increase total gate income. It's a gamble either way. Increase prices and lose paying customers or decrease and hope the extra sales increase income. A freeze would see figures remain stable at best.

It's a conundrum. Our L1 prices have been frozen for next season. Should we manage to go up, I fully expect prices to go up by about 10% which would, IMO, not be unreasonable.

• The beer and especially the food are grossly overpriced for the quality served. Saturday is the last game for the old catering company, not sure if they have appointed a new one yet.

• Talking of going up @Raminpeace what's your view...if you get into the playoffs do you think you can get past the others in there with you? I suppose there is a chance a pissed off Sheff Wednesday would implode if they miss out on automatic.

• The price increase of 5% might well be small (!) this year. However, that'd still push the price to £42 and my psychological barrier might've been broached at this level. However, as this is purely theoretical, I don't need to concern myself with it!

Maybe I'd be more inclined to pay up if the Couhigs did what they said that they were going to do though.

• That is a somewhat selfish view. You are obviously in a lucky position and probably able to absorb the price rises, as am I, but there are many others who cannot. £31/£28 is expensive for League 1 football.

I suspect we will see the gates drop a bit due to these price rises and @ReturnToSenda is spot on whether he attends many games or not.

• My only comment would be that a premium £31 seat is currently paired with far from premium facilities.

I guess we will see next season if it’s possible to:

a) not get rained on

b) get a cuppa before the game restarts

c) purchase warm food without having to walk round to the car park

• Feels a bit like the council tax, pay more and get less.

• I suppose the price increases will have little impact on the crowd sizes if the football is good and we at the top end of the table. However, for some of the pay-as-you-go supporters, the price hike may be too much if we are struggling at the wrong end of the table and their beer is also more expensive at the club.

A very big season ahead of us I suspect. Every aspect seems to be finely balanced.

• Yeah, but you guys don't have to pay tax so everything should be cheaper. (Sorry, easy hit)

• Beer price is an odd one, seems very random everywhere now, although cheap prices seem to surprise more these days than expensive ones, being asked £6 in London now probably qualifies for a raised eyebrow at most and concerts charge ridiculous amounts.

• edited April 2023

I'm surprised that the club don't treat having 100s of fans actually leaving the ground and then coming back as a sort of unnecessary security risk.

Most other clubs, certainly professional clubs don't allow people to just wander in and out do they?

That's before you get to the actual idea that the club are admitting the in house facilities are so pony you have to leave the ground?

Is that Lindy's or Linda's place on the edge of the ground still open during the game? If she isn't, she's probably missing a trick if she knew fans can wander in and out.

Or someone parked very close could get their pal to guard their space, and quickly whisk off to the chippie, or some other local shop and get a job lot in!

• Oxford United charge £275 or £295 for an Over 65 on the sides in the Upper areas of those stands.

The prices at WWFC have been and continue to be vastly higher than the majority of other League One clubs. When I looked at season ticket prices last season we were the highest in most categories.

• From the Mirror website (start of season, so no Derby prices):

League One

Accrington Stanley - £264.50 to £274.50

Barnsley - £350 to £475

Bolton - £299 to £379

Bristol Rovers - £352.50 to £397

Burton - £301 to £432

Cambridge - £349 to £459

Charlton - £285 to £625

Cheltenham - £333 to £481

Derby - Season tickets not on sale yet amid takeover uncertainty

Exeter - £368 to £478

Fleetwood - Do not sell season tickets, instead fans pay between £14 and £25 per month over 12-month plan which equates to between £168 and £300

Forest Green Rovers - £306 to £391

Ipswich - £354.50 to £624.50

Lincoln - £390 to £515

MK Dons - £369 to £579

Morecambe - £150 to £275 (highest price drops to £250 once a certain number of tickets are sold)

Oxford - £359 to £530

Peterborough - £429 to £869

Plymouth - £340 to £465

Port Vale - £315 to £400

Portsmouth - £389 to £549

Sheff Wed - £435 to £585

Shrewsbury - £395 to £505

Wycombe - £342 to £494

• I no longer buy a season ticket as I can rarely get to more than 13/14 home games a season.

When I bring my kids we try to sit in the Family stand to keep costs down but family and friends sit in the Central Areas of the Upper Frank Adams. If all three of us sit in the FA the prices have gone up by 15% to £71. If we sit in the Family Stand the prices have gone up by 14% to £37.

We already had on average the most expensive tickets in League One and I don’t see that changing with these increases.

We are not getting value for money on anything purchased at the club. We have had great value on our recent high League positions though.

• Paid £6.10 per pint for London Pride yesterday in City of London and £5.50 per pint of Rebellion IPA at Wycombe Heights Golf Club today.

The General Manager at WHGC recently disclosed that Rebellion were putting their price up by 15% which would have to be passed on to customers. So Adams Park has probably been accommodating this price increase for a while, if still selling at £5 pp.

• edited April 2023

Very misleading those as many are the top prices before Early Bird or Renewals.

Ipswich at £624.50 is interesting as all their prices for 22/23 did not have decimal points. A top ticket in 22/23 at Ipswich was £589 but discounted to £444 for renewal/early bird.

Once you took account of the discounts on offer we were the highest for a ticket in a side stand and at the centre higher up the stand bar Charlton

• Really difficult to compare when lows are often not available to all and highs aren't really a problem if there are cheaper suitable options. More so when you add to that regional and historical differences, the fact half of these clubs are being subsidised by rich owners and that most of them are probably technically insolvent .

• MK lower price can't be right, we all know they give them away for free.

• Yep, fair enough - and it's never a like-for-like comparison either. Couldn't find a more detailed breakdown but I'm sure there are out there somewhere.

• Adult prices seem broadly similar between us and Oxford.

The biggest difference seems to be in respect of concessions.

they discount over 65s by about £7 per match whereas we only discount by £3.

we use the money saved there to discount 22-25s by £5 per match whereas Oxford charge these people full price.

Have to say I think we have the better balance.

• I accept the reasons why the club has to do it, but I worry about the price rises at lower league level and what it means for the future.

I struggle to see how we are going to attract enough new supporters to maintain our fanbase 10/15/20 years down the line at the current prices.

I’m bringing my young kids tomorrow for first time. £52 for us all in the family stand. Looks like it would be £58 next season.

I’ll pay it, but don’t see many people who don’t have a strong connection to the club already paying out that amount of money enough times a season to get hooked and become the next generation of season ticket holders.

i do think that’s one factor why recently some crowds for big games have been lower than we might have hoped.