Skip to content

New contract for McCarthy

Comments

• Can someone editing this image to cross out Bolton Wanderers and perhaps more accurately place “the owners of Menspire and Whites of Beaconsfield who, other than be the sons or the Bolton Chairwomen also sponsor our home Terrace”

• Yes I think this is right.

if you basically divide the squad up into tier 1, tier 2 and tier 3 players, we’ve basically signed up most of the tier 2 core of the squad. Essentially the decent, solid League One players who can play week out, week in at this level and give us a realistic chance to compete.

The big unknown is what happens with the tier 1 players. Those players who have a Championship or big League One club pedigree and therefore (it can be assumed) wages to match.

Of those Scowen is signed but Vokes, McCleary, Taf, Obita and Willis are not and it remains to be seen whether we can afford any of them and if so which ones we would prioritise - with Sam and Garath at the top of that list you’d have thought, but also at the top of the wage bill.

Then you basically have the tier 3 players - the youngsters - quite a few of whom I expect to be kept on with enhanced prospects for seeing first team action next season.

• I’m easily thrown @Theatre_of_Chairs (and I eventually fathomed what you meant) but, for a couple of minutes, I got quite excited to think that we have half a dozen players of Premier League standard (conventionally tier 1, I think).

To the “tier 1” players in your fourth paragraph, I would add Max Stryjek.

I too think we will see two or three development players being eased into the first team squad.

• This would be my take too. His effort & commitment are second to none but he’s simply not as good as he was in his first two spells.

• In the back end of the Championship season there was a reasonable argument for him being our best player with a series of outstanding performances at RWB. That was during this spell and only two seasons ago.

• edited April 2023

tl:dr of the below is - it doesn’t matter who Tafs mates are. It may have little impact on where he goes. If he goes.

The two things aren’t mutually exclusive.

I suspect he is looking at many options, perhaps primarily championship teams at this stage because what footballer doesn’t back themselves or want to test themselves, to further his career?

Just because he is obviously friends with people who are Wycombe Sponsors and the Son of Bolton Owners doesn’t add much extra context to the situation for me.

footballers are (and this is not a criticism) on the whole a mercenary bunch and will play for a club they feel will reward and challenge them, over who their mates are.

for example, it’s a very wise statement to say “never do business with friends and Family”. Take that into account and Bolton should be his last destination.

also, if they are only mates with him because they are trying to tap him up to go play for Bolton - that doesn’t suggest they are particularly good friends.

also, what football club owner would sign players for their team because they are friends of their son? Rather than, for example, because the management and recruitment team of said club want them? Besides, there’s tapping up rules that I suspect Lawyer Uncle Rob would go to town with if there’s a hint that Bolton representatives have tried to get Taff to sign prior to any official approach by BWFC.

• Also, Matt will bring in a few players to add depth to the squad and some new faces.

• Also, call me Jimmy McNaive, but the teeth boys are Wycombe fans aren't they? Would they really stitch their own club up to try and get a player to their mums club?

• He brought his mate in as assistant manager.

Just kidding before anyone gets all solemn.

• @Theatre_of_Chairs interested you think Obita and Willis are tier 1?

Obita is surely the same bracket as Grimmer and McCarthy.

And Willis has it all to prove he's even tier 2, having played maybe 3 times and not for a full 90.

• This probably won't go down well, but I wouldn't renew Obita

• It's a point of debate for sure. That's why I was surprised at a post so adamant he's up there with the must re-sign players.

I'd probably keep him as he's the only one who can even vaguely do a left wing back job at the club.

Some would say Freeman could but I would say that's in the same way I could.

• Yep, but it's the summer, more people could/will be available, I think the one thing in his favour is we don't have enough left footed players (surely something Matt will be looking at ?). I just don't know where he's meant to be playing when he plays, he wants to be a winger but is meant to be more of a defender, but then defender's are meant to tackle, something he doesnt seem to like doing. Just not that bothered personally.

• edited April 2023

Obita is a top L(W)B for this level and one of our main creative outlets. Would be mad not to keep him. He does tackle, too.

• Freeman, on the other hand, I struggle to make a case for extending.

• That definitely won't go down well.

For me he'll always be a something different short bursts squad player.

Probably relatively humble wage, part of the spirit of the place, stay on as a squaddie job.

Beside the big money tier 1 crew, I think the biggest decision is on Thompson. Gape we think is signed on, so do we need 2 of them doing a similar job, when Scowen-Wing is the start combo, Wheeler is signed on, and we also have the mysterious Young with 2 years of his surprising 3 year deal left.

• It's all opinions isn't it, we are All entitled to them. I personally wouldn't renew Obita, Thompson or Freeman. But I'd have happily kept Horgan and Kaikai, and I'm desperate for us to keep Max, Vokes and Gmac. There's not many people that will agree with all I think, but most will agree with some parts of it.

Young really is a strange one ? I thought he looked OK last season the fews minutes he was given. He must have had an injury (not that we'd ever know ! 😡) As he's not even been out on loan. Good job we've kept it quiet and a secret though, just think how differently Morecambe might have set up today if they though he was going to be in the team !?

• I think Jordan has proved he's a good L1 left sided player and he's played in near on 100 games in the 26 months he's been here. I think this is his first injury that has kept him out of the team too for a significant period. Good age at 29 too and lives 40 minutes from the ground.

Not easy to find left sided players of his calibre. I would keep him.

• edited April 2023

If Vokes stays, interesting to see how long we give him - 34 in October but fit enough that two years doesn't seem like a risk. That said, you've got to be succession planning all the time.

• I would keep Obita myself as I think he brings a lot to the attack and left side is...as always...the left side and hard to fill. I think, like Bayo, Vokes' game is not based on running about in the way Hayes was, so even a slightly slower Sam would be a valuable asset. I like Nick Freeman (who doesn't?) as a squad player but I struggle to remember a game he has dominated or changed when coming on. (Cue posts reminding me of just that!) We had best just wait and see how we get on at Wembley before making too many decisions. 😉

• Got to be a reasonable argument for only giving out one year deals at that age, possibly with extensions triggered on appearances

• Teeth boys are Trotters. Took a box (which Taff was in) for the AP game towards the away end. Givin it large in Taffs YouTube post which started the whole is he off debate.

• Freeman has only ever played on the right as a wingback and he was doing very well before the ACL injury.

• One of them is definitely a Wycombe fan. Season ticket holder for years and he was fairly outspoken on the fb group for years, before disappearing entirely the last year or so.

Sponsoring the ground would be an interesting choice if they weren't Wycombe fans?

• edited April 2023

They both are - the older one was banned for a while. I was at school with both, in the same year as the younger one.