Skip to content

New contract for McCarthy

Comments

• Shows how far we have come. At one point McCarthy was our best player and now you're all quite underwhelmed by him.

Important that we keep the nucleus together, players the know the clubs' values.

• I should indeed be fair to you as your own "vendetta" seems to have glided off Taf onto McCarthy.

He's not had the strong season he had when he was snapped up by Millwall, but he's not into weak link / boo boy target just yet.

• Clearly loves being at the club and is whole hearted and committed. However unfortunately lacks real ability and cannot cross a ball to save his life. Surprised we have re - signed him. Far more important players need to be signed up, Max, McCleary, Vokes and perhaps Taff.

• McCarthy is not the same player that came back on loan to us during the league one promotion season where he looked every bit a top league one player.

Would never fault him for effort but he seems very frenetic a lot of the time, and I think that affects the quality in his game.

• edited April 2023

Hasn’t moved at all. Still frustrated by Taffs attitude (at times) and turning circle. Have thought JMac was a weak link for a year or so, he just hasn’t cropped up much in conversation so haven’t felt the need to share my frustrations, although this thread reassuringly suggests I’m not alone.

For the record I have an irrational love of Nick Freeman surging forward, think GMac is ‘different gravy’ unless he can’t be arsed, think the Wolves lad is soft, TJ is a journeyman , love Max, Josh and Farrino. And as Christie M’s surrogate father know he will be our next big thing.

• Yeah, and it's also a simple line that suggests, 'I'm here next season, make sure you are'

• Fair enough my gasroom brother, nothing beyond gentle joshing meant.

Your view does have a decent amount of support. Maybe I'm just hoping McCarthy gets back to that "top player in league 1" sort of level that @vincey states above.

Agree with your take on the rest of that lot, well Christie I have no idea on just yet. And Freeman I don't get to the level a lot do on here. I think he's a strange sort of glidey, classy and effortless quality in short periods, but he's been here about 7 years now and is no nearer to securing a regular spot.

• Has McCarthy really had a poor season though? I don't think he started well, but he hit form around the new year and to my mind has played well since.

Monday I thought he was probably our best player, didn't put a foot wrong defensively and was involved in most of our best attacking moves. Sometimes it feels like some people have made their minds up about him and won't be swayed from that even when he plays well. He's not a spectacular player, but he's solid and dependable and if we're having our playing budget cut, it seems a sensible call to give a proven, reliable performer another year?

• For a low level budget League 1 club (which we need to be in the current climate) I am reasonably happy that we are keeping players like JMac.

He is not a player I would say that I am excited to see on the teamsheet but equally he is not a player that I dread seeing start.

i also enjoy trying to guess which one of his 10 crosses a game will actually go somewhere close to where it should do.

In the positive pile for me

• It'll be interesting from the rest of the signings whether there's a feeling in the club that we have enough quality in the building as it is, or whether we need a couple of new game changers to come in.

I dare say the Vokes & McCleary situations will massively shape the overall decision making.

Although if Taf goes we're massively struggling at centre back all of a sudden. Bearing in mind Forino is still struggling to play a long run in a row, and we've had to field full backs there quite often.

• Wasn't sure what to say about this, but @bookertease has pretty much summed up my thoughts exactly

• I posted this on Twitter earlier. I see Jase as our future captain and I’m delighted that he is staying. I also think that he really does raise his game when he wears the armband.

I know I’m in the minority though and can see why some fans find him frustrating.

• I mostly agree with the exception of Tjay it’s too early in his career and we’ve seen too little of him to draw that conclusion.

I like Nick and his trademark step over.

• For me the regular and miraculous MOTM hero Scowen aside, the players who have extended are, if somewhat unglamorous (like Nick Freeman), decent League One players. We are now an established League One side. Yes, we need a bit of higher league magic that perhaps the extending of Gmac, Taff and Vokes' contracts and Wing not being sold might supply...but I don't think them not signing and us being a mid-table League One team will be the end of the World either. Other more ambitious opinions are available.

• McCarthy is class and has one of the best attitudes of any player we've ever had. His crossing isn't great, but he does set up goals.

Anyone underwhelmed by this contract doesn't understand football.

• edited April 2023

He's not a bad player; he's also not 'class'. Fwiw, six assists in 63 league games since the start of last season.

• Grimmer is the better defender so if he's signed as back up that's fine.

Not a fan of J Mc in the wing back role, gets caught far too often, crossing often wayward and lacks genuine pace you need in that position.

Meh - good servant for us so happy enough but he should not be extending his contract with a view to starting regularly.

• The most important one now is Vokes. If like Taff to stay but I think his heart is already elsewhere. Character doesn't seem right.

If we don't keep Vokes, a goalscorer for next season is going to be a big problem. We evidently unearthed a gem in Al Hamadi and misjudged. There won't be many more of him without a price tag.

• G Mac is the most important signing for me and a clear statement of our intent. Followed by Taff and then Vokesy. I suspect they are being offered reduced money by Wycombe and their agents are “doing a ring around”.

Well, you would…wouldn’t you?

• The more people tell me Taf has some mysterious ‘character,’ issue the more keen I am for him to stay.

• @thecatwwfc "Character doesn't seem right."

What makes you think that?

• Character was the wrong word. I think his head has been turned.

• Like this?

• It could quickly be resolved by him being the first to sprint to the goalscorer.

Plus a bit of badge kissing.

• think the guy in this stock meme pic looks more like Roger Johnson than Taf, if we're talking WW centre backs...

• I'm assuming we've asked GMac and Vokes to extend, none of the other renewals really affect that. I'm also a bit more relaxed than some as if either say no we take a fair chunk of wages forward for replacements. Although some of us think we should be slashing the budget I'm not sure the owners have actually even hinted that they agree.

GMac will be all about whether he wants to play on for another year, Vokes might attract a bit of interest but his fitness and goalscoring don't really set him as a must have elsewhere.

• I've never seen @ReturnToSenda at a Wycombe game when Taf has been playing. Spooky.

• Hopefully any potentially interested parties take a totally context free view on his goalscoring like you have, and we can keep him.

• :)

I didn't say he wasn't a good player just that he's not exactly smashing it up this season to have people salivating, if someone wants a player of his type he'd be a great choice and his past means people know who he is but he signed with us here for reasons and we overhype the prospect of someone swooping on everyone who has a good game for us if we don't get a promotion that was always a long shot.