Skip to content

Match day thread: Franchise

12346»

Comments

• edited April 2023

I'd like to see us try putting Hanlan back on the left, where I think he's shown his best form for us, and De Barr central. Campbell can stay out right, with Wheeler as the number 10.

Alternative is to put Wheeler wide right, like we did years back and Freeman comes into the middle.

If we do get Gape or Thompson back, we could try a midfield 3 for extra security in there. Maybe move Wing a bit closer to goal, as he's deeper than the centre backs at times.

• Booing: fair enough. Verbally abusing him: clearly a step too far.

• All I heard around me in the terrace was booing. Let's not let one or two people in 5 thousand colour the reception.

• edited April 2023

Anyone remember that shit run of 3 winnable home games in a week that we managed to well and truly fuck up earlier in the season? Results can and form can turn and we are closer to the playoffs than 24 hours ago.

• edited April 2023

Wow, this post didn't go down well.

But looking at it so far, 8 points from 8 games since Gaz left.

Not easy circumstances replacing a club legend, let alone with the injuries that have built up.

But I can't imagine anyone would have taken 8 from 8 before hand if offered?

• We used to be told a player was "close", then they would take a fair while.

But "VERY, VERY" close makes it sound next game or 2 max doesn't it?

• Booing is one thing but abuse is another. Stewart, Stewart you're a c*** was a frequent and persistent chant from significant numbers on the terrace. I was not the only person that was upset/angry that someone that has been such an important part of our club was treated in such a disgraceful way.

• That’s very disappointing to hear. A bloke behind me keep bellowing “Judas” at Tools. I mean, how on earth can Anthony Stewart be labelled that.

Some of our supporters really are as thick as mince sometimes.

• I've heard Vokes won't be back for the Ipswich game. He might make Easter Monday, but Morecambe away is more likely. And it's touch and go whether or not we see GMac again before the end of the season. Might be nonsense, but I've no reason to doubt it.

• We are where we are. This isn’t a deep enough squad in reality to challenge for a promotion.

We should be content that, given all the upheaval, this will still be one of our best five seasons of all time.

Truth is the only players who could live in The Championship from todays line up are Max, Taf, Forino, Josh, Wing with Wheels and Grimmer as bench options.

Not sure any of our injured players would make the transition either (ok maybe Vokes, Thomo and GMac again as impact subs). That means to compete at a higher level we would need to bring in at least eight players comfortable at that level. Which, given budgets, just ain’t gonna happen.

So folks let’s sit back, relax and enjoy ‘mid table obscurity’ because even that will be better than at least 130 previous seasons.

• For sure the results haven’t been great, but it’s the double whammy of MB trying to make changes in playing style plus the injuries - but with the latter being the biggest killer, in that we don’t function well without key attacking players, and don’t have the strength in depth to change things up if needed.

I don’t know what else MB is supposed to do right now, he has to try and be his own man - I don’t think the players would respect him if all he did was parrot tactics and training ideas straight from the GA/Dobson textbook.

Don’t forget, we had a pretty indifferent run around Oct/Nov as well. It happens.

Don’t get me wrong, it’ll be hugely disappointing if we miss out on 6th, but we’re necessarily in a transition period with a new manager, and he needs time to put his stamp on the team, something that will obviously be reinforced next season with his own signings.

• And yeah, MB is obviously not a tried and tested manager, but after a shaky start, he got Col U going in the right direction….a direction which they amusingly seem to have lost since.

But the point being, he clearly can make a positive difference to a team.

• I think MB has been fine - we have been more than a little unlucky in his tenure, both with injuries, rub of the green during games, and individual errors which can't really be placed at his feet.

• I thought we were two points off the playoffs...does that not count as challenging for promotion these days?

• edited April 2023

Statistically maybe but in reality given: goal difference, injuries, Ipswich potential form over two leg play offs, a probability of not.

• I like the style of football Blooms is trying to play. A lot more patient. The squad will be gutted in the summer with contracts ending and costs having to be cut for sure (Rob’s prematch interview gave me little hope). Interesting what Wycombe Wanderers looks like next season, which no doubt will be in league 1.

• Next few seasons going to be tough, Rob talks a good game but pretty sure he wants out, we are in debt and losing 80% of current squad next season., I really fear league 2 beckons unless we get a buyer soon....MB is the right man but will need to be given time even if relegation happens in 2023/4 season

• I think people have forgotten the date! I'd be amazed if GMac plays again this season - he has a broken tibia (at least that's what he said) and is at least 4 weeks away.

• Come on, guys. The spirit of WWFC over recent years has not been to carp about injuries, nor to find fault with individuals, nor look for scapegoats or alibis, but to make the whole and the achievable at Adams Park, way greater than the sum of our (uninjured, available) parts in the eyes of the rest.

Forget that and we betray the wonderful legacy of, and debt we owe to, the likes of Gareth Ainsworth, Bayo, Keith Ryan and so many more over past years, who have excited us to believe we can "over-achieve" when all the "know-alls" about football shake their heads and say it can't be done.

Let's recognise and boost (at the same time, yes, debate) what's achievable with/out injured champions and willing, if still less accomplished, wannabes, but for goodness sake, let's provide the maximum support and encouragement to the depleted squad still standing.

Let's help MB get the most out of them - for us - and take pride that we've all done out best when 46 matches have been played.

Play-off places will be decided by very fine margins this year. We've proved that on our day with a half-fit squad we are a match for almost all in this division if we win the chance to get to the final stages. Don't let it be said that the management and players available on the pitch lacked the support of several thousand more when that support could make the greatest difference.

• Regarding Stewart. Absolutely ridiculous.he tried his luck at a club eith potential of fighting for European football. Hasn't worked out. If we wanted him I'm sure he'd have come back to us on loan in an instant. Fact is, we don't need him, or didn't at the time.

Fact is, it's kids giving the abuse. Any adult with responsibilities would guess that Stewart still had a house and family in the area, and wanted to play football. Not sure if that is the case but I'm sure why he's ended up at MK.

Kids, ask the guy yourself if you can. I'm sure he's got nothing but good words to say about Wycombe. After everything he gave to us, how would you feel hearing that? Utterly ridiculous, fabricated, hatred. For the sake of being controversial. He was a hero for us at times. Remember the good times he and others gave you.

• GMac was still on crutches yesterday. A little bit of the ‘Ainsworth’s’ in Matty’s injury updates I fear.

• There were two brothers in the FA stand giving him terrible abuse all game. Started to get pretty uncomfortable towards the end as their dad just sat there seemingly enjoying it.

Ultimately footballers at this level are professionals trying to make a living, they’re not making calculated decisions to annoy fans of their old clubs.

Booing him is disrespectful to all he achieved with us, and is ironically only likely to increase his performance levels.

• edited April 2023

Just watched the highlights again. MK's second really was terrible - all starting from 5 of our men getting bunched in a 10m cube on the halfway line (pictured) which then led to us being outnumbered when we lost it. Grimmer too central and too close to his man, which led to him overcommitting as soon as he was turned, giving Lewington enough time to find Leko down the channel.

Then we have about 3 opportunities to clear before Leko buries it (very well to his credit) in the bottom corner.

Just so preventable.

• Much as I admire Wings creativity he was in no small part culpable for both goals, basically he can’t tackle. Can’t help thinking Thomo would have mopped up both situations. He doesn’t get much of a mention but is much missed imo.

• A third ‘very’ would have been reassuring. And, yes, of course he hopes to be able to pick one or more of Gape, Thompson and Obita. Whether any of them would survive more than one game is another matter.

• Spot on. He gave us some real good times and I wish him all the very best where ever he goes. A great lad who is just trying to earn a living to keep a roof over his family.

• Ah mate it winds me up. I bet if AS's phone rang on deadline day and it was Gareth Ainsworth - he would have leapt at the chance to come back. We either didn't need him, couldn't afford him, or didn't want him. His agent was probably onto every London club that could possibly want him so that he could come "home" and get away from the torrent of abuse he appears to be on the receiving end of in Scotland!

I admire the guy for not clinging on to something that clearly isn't working out for him and being pro-active about getting his career back on track. I also thank him for being an indispensable member of the most exciting era I've ever experienced as a Wycombe fan. Anything less than applause - you do not support Wycombe. Remember where we came from.