Skip to content

Match day thread: Franchise

Comments

• @davecz Wow! Very harsh assessment of our players. Hanlan is better as a wide forward. He puts in a hell of a shift, but he's out of position in my opinion. Sadly we don't have any other options. De Barr had a decent game again and is really progressing. He's been a definite plus of the past month or 2. Campbell would be better as an impact sub, he doesn't seem up to 90mins at the moment and tends to fade 2nd half. But again, we're lacking options.

• That very very close, is it the same as Ainsworths? If it is, then hope to see them in the first of the pre seasons matches then!

• We do need those lads back in the worst possible way.

Today was disappointing, but I do think we have been scuppered by injuries more than anything else, so I am not looking to lay the blame at anyone's feet. I like the way we try to play under Blooms, and I think he does well at responding to tactical issues.

I am just gutted we did not walk away with the win, as if Vokes et al truly are close, it would be a huge shot in the arm.

• Campbell doesn’t seem to be learning. I would forgive him his first couple of games learning when to take players on and when to pass as it’s different at this level but he just continues to frustrate. And I don’t get how a young player gets cramp at 60 minutes on such a kind pitch.

Overall this is how I think we saw the season fizzle out with the losses to the squad.

• In fairness, Stryjek’s shown even more propensity to develop cramp on the kindest of pitches, without even barely having to run…

• The sad reality. Although we just have enough hope still if we can get through Ipswich in a similar position to today, and get Vokes & McCleary back.

But our front 2 and Campbell are probably all strong bench options earlier in the season. Now they're the best we have available.

• I think Blooms can take us up playing some great football, but not this season. I have no problem with taking a year or two for Blooms to figure it out.

We play well up to the 22 yard mark then struggle to move it on. Thats fine, it's one of the hardest things in the game. So many sides try to play stunning, attacking football and can't. Let's take some time and let Blooms and the squad figure it out

• Sadly Hanlan isn't a number 9, he is much better as a wide forward on the right, whilst it is not ideal Wheels might be a better choice at No9 with TJ either just behind or alongside him; TJ works really hard & wins a fair number of fouls as he is a total nuisance.

Freeman would be my preferred starter as the wide left player with Campbell being used to replace him or Hanlanafter 60-70 minutes.

Campbell is young & inexperienced at men's football, his workrate especially tracking back has improved but he is still a little too predictable so after the first couple of attacks his marker knows exactly what he will do, the guile will come as he plays more.

The results today were kind to us, but with each point dropped the chance of a play-off berth gets slimmer; next week's game against Ipswich is possibly the game that will define our season, win & our hopes remain alive & hugely dent theirs, draw or lose & I suspect our season is done.

• We've heard comments like these before. Until they are on the teamsheet, I'm not sure I want to know

• blooms decision puzzling today and his post matches are a carbon copy of GA's!

• Not the greatest of results or games. Hard to be too critical as without Vokes and McCleary we just don't have the experience and nous to look that effective going forwards.

Having said that, in between the two MK goals I though we were pretty much in total command (before the first we were scarily shambolic and after their second we were just dreadful). Felt a little for Wing on their second as it just seemed the bounce caught him out.

Have to say though the communication at the back didn't seem to be there today and I thought Max had one of his least effective (poor) performances today. Also Grimmer's worst game for a while. Balanced a little by JJ, who I thought was excellent most of the game.

• edited April 2023

To be fair @DevinesWanderers80, Matt's been here for so long, has witnessed good and bad press conferences and knows what can be said to our local media to not make anyone a story.

Until we see him do a press conference driven by emotion, I think we'll always get the positives outweighing the negatives press that GA was so good for

• @Malone Dashwood Ave was unusually stacked!

• Both goals we conceded were pretty darn poor weren't they?

We've all covered Wing not just punting it away for the second, but the first was a powderpuff clearance 2 yards to their man, who passed it inside to score simply.

• Not happy with the booing of AS I can’t see what he has done to deserve it . Having said that the franchise idiot’s repeated the Akinfenwa chant.

As for the game I think injuries did for us if GMac or Vokes were available we would have eased past them.

• We are missing Vokes and McCleary massively. Tjay not really taking his chance, and Hanlan not covering himself in glory. In my opinion, If Voke's played today we win

• I did wonder if I'd managed to miss it the 100s of times I've wandered in that way, half awake, but no, it's normally totally clear down there. For good reason.

The person who mentioned it on a HW group was getting loads of abuse, with people saying what's the problem, you can get a buggy past (you'd have no chance actually, on most of the path!), and one genius said something like "unless it's a double yellow, what's the problem".

The irony of the last bit being a single yellow is in effect the same as a double yellow in the quoted time!

• Well yeah, if we’re going to punt it long to Wheeler anyway, why not have him in the No. 9 position, better to win his headers more centrally and maybe bring them down for Hanlan or Campbell to run on to.

• We clearly identified their right back as someone Wheeler could dominate.

But it still felt slightly odd seeing Wheeler on the left and at times receiving the ball at pace by the touchline. That's certainly not his game.

As much as Campbell is slightly underwhelming us at times, he had one moment where he took a ball absolutely fired at him and roasted their player on the wing.

Two wide players with hugely different skillsets.

• Campbell is getting a bit of stick here and there tonight, but tbh he probably offered more than Hanlan and Tjay did !

• Unless we get Vokes back ASAP I cannot see where we are going to get anywhere near enough points needed to be in the mix at the end. Probably 4 wins from 6 needed from here.

• We have a great run of fixtures the other side of Ipswich away.

If Vokes and or McCleary are back for Forest Green on we still have a chance.

I dare say everyone would take having a chance of the playoffs on the last day.

• Because the bench represented every fit player we have who didn’t start. No other choice.

• Disagree about Tjay I thought he put a shift in.

• Too much harping about the booing of AS. It's panto. He left us and has ended up at a 'rival'. He knew it would happen, we did too. Nothing to read into. It takes nothing away from anything he's done

• A guy in my block reckoned Stewart had "got us up", which I think was a little strong!

Played a good role in it yes...

• I'm not quite so confident... in recent memory we always seem to struggle against both Morecambe and Cheltenham.

• True - and Alfie May is clearly a cyborg sent back from the future because John Connor hates us.

• edited April 2023

It's that time of season where the crap teams aren't so crap as well. As today showed! Although MK came in with 3 successive 1-0 wins, which I think a lot overlooked, or didn't realise. Me being one of them.

Even our friends down the M40 managed to hold Peterborough away for only their 3rd point in TWELVE games!

Oxford have Sheff Wed, Bolton, Portsmouth and Barnsley over the next 5games, with only a 3 point margin over 4th bottom.

• Yes agree, he’s very inexperienced at this level and is very much finding his feet, and the longer the game went on the more he was beginning to find a bit of space and make his mark.

Nice assist for the second goal, albeit following a comical air shot - however, he followed it with a top class ball seconds later.

A mistake to take him off.