Skip to content

Match day thread: Barnsley

1235»

Comments

• Sorry, but I can’t allow this to go unchallenged as it just plain wrong. On the contrary, we had an excellent reputation for helping to develop loanees during the Ainsworth era and there are so many who went on to improve their careers including a certain Alfie Mawson, despite your assertion that we tried to ‘force them into an agricultural style.’

• It has to be a mix. We want to develop young players but understand that some/most of the year 1 development players won’t get close to first team. A couple of good loanees for the whole season would boost the quality levels. The post Christmas squad is thin and getting thinner.

• I forgot to mention the example of MK dongs last season whose dependence on loan players (half a dozen at a time, I think) led to a lack of continuity/loss of quality this season. One or two, fine. But that’s plenty if you want to grow your own. Yes, I agree with @Chris. A wise philosophy in a business sense.

• I thought that was ignorant (of the facts) and outrageous on the part of @aloysius. Only just read his post.

• I thought I remembered something about not wanting to develop other clubs players for them, but to be fair I can’t find a quote for that so might not be true.

• edited March 2023

Neither Luke Bolton nor Rolando Aarons were played out of position. They both played wide right. They simply didn’t produce the goods.

• MK Dongs😳. Seem to remember there was a vhs featuring ‘King Dong’ many moons ago. Didn’t have you down as an aficionado @micra

• Roland Aarons had enough games to make an impact, but rarely impressed. Luke Bolton was hampered by injury, but was very disappointing when he did play. I certainly don't think we'd have a bad reputation, in fact it's quite a ridiculous claim. Not every loan will be a success. For the most part I think we're best off developing our own talent, albeit loans can be useful for filling gaps in the squad, as Campbell has been.

• I don’t think Luke Bolton and Rolando Arrons have done anything since to justify the high pedigree loan tag. Thought Luke Bolton’s problem was he thought he was above playing at our level and I don’t remember much about Aaron’s - which probably speaks volumes. Those that are good enough / have the right attitude will shine at any level.

• Classic target man conversation that gets wheeled out year after year.

Have one - tendency to go long

Don't have one - seems more frustrating as we still go long but with even less success.

• edited March 2023

Alfie Mawson was a long time ago. As I said, we were a great club for helping develop players who needed a confidence boost. Those who may have benefitted from experiencing life at the sharp edge of football rather than staying in the gilded cage of their Premier League youth team, maybe being taken down a peg or two, seemed to fair less well and - I assume - didn't particularly enjoy their time here.

Those who seemed to have assumed I was blaming Wycombe for that have misinterpreted me. The fault lies with the players, who as others have pointed out, haven't exactly gone on to have stellar careers.

• That is a more reasonable explanation than your original post.

• It was all contained in my original post, you just misinterpreted it. Glad I could spell it out for you though.

• I’m not sure which part of this sentence I misinterpreted: ‘I suspect we got a bad reputation after signing a few high pedigree loanees and then barely playing them / out of position / trying to force them into an agricultural style.’ That read to me like a criticism of the way we handled loanees and an assumption that it led to us having a bad reputation among other clubs, neither of which is true.

• This whole season has been a bit of a balancing act, between managerial changes, injuries, and clearly needing to offset some contract expenses in January decisions and transfers. We have handled it well overall, and have been more than a little unlucky. I feel as though we have lost and drawn a few games we were the better side in, whilst rarely winning any we did not deserve to.

Considering all of the above, to find ourselves in 8th is pretty impressive.

• I thought we had an excellent reputation amongst Championship & PL clubs for lending us some of their starlets. If I remember correctly, didn't RD say that they were thinking of producing a brochure or something like that to send out to these clubs and inviting them to offer us players that we would run the eye over? Pretty certain that RD did say that one of the first things that he would say to them was, "congratulations, you have made it into the building". 🤷‍♂️

• The only person I've heard say we had a bad reputation amongst clubs and loanees was @aloysius so perhaps there needs to be some fact checking...or just ignore it.

• The only negative reputation we have is with rival fans, furious we don't bow down for them and their perceived higher level.

We've had a string of managers go onto better things, and always receive quality applicants when the job comes up.

We've had a string of players who repeatedly come back here because they've found a home here with a great atmosphere and found that elsewhere isn't necessarily "greener".

We've attracted a number of players used to huge salaries, like Vokes, McCleary, Stockdale, who've found something special here.

It's actually a really positive place and club to be, not that you'd necessarily know it from how some people post of a weekend!

• Lots of clubs seem unhappy that we seem to able to get the best out of players they did not rate as well.

• I noticed Steve Baker was not in the Quarters on Saturday. Are they banned in the Director's box?

• Some greats points in there, and begs the age-old question - does any other club have so many players who return for second, third and McCarthy spells?

• It needs remembering every so often doesn't it.

Be disappointed about results here and there, strive for better, but in the cold light of day remember we've something superb going on here in general.