Skip to content

Match day thread: Barnsley

Comments

• A real punch in the stomach today.

• Unlucky today - smash and grab by a dirty side - knew exactly what they were doing with fouls to break play up when we were getting through their lines. Got to disagree with @bluntphil regarding referees performance today. He seemed far too interested in having long chats with players after the offences rather than clamping down on deliberate foul play. Another referee who might know the rules but doesn’t understand the game in my book

• So they had to close the training ground during the week because of an illness going around? Wonder if it's the one that hit Dundalk FC a few weeks back too and hospitalised Tjay's international teammate Louie Annesley. Better not be covid again.

• For the record, I am very impressed with MB so far, despite the W2 D1 L3 record. We have been unlucky to lose two of those, and our squad is razor thin. I have seen enough to indicate that he is going to have his own style, and a more attractive one at that.

It is also hard not to have a bit of a smile on one's face after watching a match where De Barr is involved. The new Alex Samuel, with the potential to develop further if he can add more goals.

• Looked like a 1-0 game to me at half time...sadly I thought it would be for us!. High balls to Brandon being excellently marshalled by their No6 seemed pointless to me. Shame but still in it. I don't want to get all Joey Barton about it but games in hand or not I cannot see Plymouth or Wednesday being too worried. I was expecting better from Barnsley. Hard to moan about anyone today they all did their thing...but just did not have that final touch.

• edited March 2023

A draw would have been fair. Not a lot in it. Couple of good chances for either side, we punted out best one over the bar, they onion bagged theirs.

Late on we didn't really look likely to equalise, the dreaded punt to tall defender desperation tactic.

Good that Derby lost and Bolton drew but we need a little run of wins to say the least.

• Had that Campbell chance gone in, the score like probably would have been reversed.

Such fine margins.

• Good performance, really quite gutting to lose at the end.

We did visibly tire in the final 10mins, perhaps not surprising given the games we've had in the last 2 weeks and the lack if rotation due to injuries. We're still in the mix and a free week should do us good and help get bodies back. Could certainly do with a win at Charlton next week though.

• An observation - is that the quietest that AP has been at a "big game" in recent years?

• @Brownie I thought the atmosphere was ok today, no more than that. I remember thinking the crowd against Ipswich was very quiet in December.

Numbers were poor today, not sure why it was such a low crowd?

• I thought we were much the better side in the first half and probably deserved a lead. We just about edged the second period without looking like scoring and, of course, the suckerpunch duly arrived. Let's not be too down. Getting Taffs back on the pitch is a real plus today.

• The attendance today was absolutely rubbish. What on earth happened?

• There was a moment in the first half when Scowen produced a moment of sublime skill, which I think went unnoticed by much of the crowd. We were attacking down the right and he somehow controlled and beat a couple of players by dragging a ball through his legs just as it seemed it would probably go out for a throw. Truly class!

• edited March 2023

Rail strikes? Barnsley took 1k. Can’t imagine that affected home attendance much. 4k (home portion) for a Saturday game at this stage of the season with this form is surely poor? Weather I can partially understand (pun unintended).

• edited March 2023

Just got back, thought a 0-0 would've been a fair result, neither team were great, neither were bad. Thought we looked a bit toothless up front if I'm being honest, missed Vokes today, Hanlan has looked better last couple of games, but he's no target man, one of the weakest headers in the team so why knock it long to him, bit frustrating. I'm not the manager but personally I'd have kept Tjay and Chem on and taken Gmac and Hanlan off. Never mind, Barnsley are a good team, onto the next game, we're still in with a great shout for the play offs !!

• Couldn’t agree more with that assessment. Hanlan is not a target man- he’s not good enough in the air. His close control ‘bustling’ style lets him down sometimes, a lot of times not actually in control of the football. We missed Vokes terribly as a target man today. I would have subbed Wheeler on a lot earlier to add a more challenging aerial threat. Disappointed with Campbell today as after that glaring first half miss, he faded badly second half. Positives were stellar performances from JJ Wing and Grimmer.

• Vokes was a big miss today for sure. He'd have relished the physical battle. Lots of effort from Hanlan, but it just wasn't his type of game and he struggled to make an impact.

• Barnsley were a team of giants weren't they? Tried to rough us up but it didn't work

We might just play then again this season

• It's still incredible in the grand scheme of things that we will be disappointed if we fail to break into a group containing Sheffield Wednesday, Plymouth, Ipswich, Barnsley, Derby and Bolton - with a new manager and threadbare squad, no less.

This has been an up and down season for sure, but so much to be proud of, as always

• I thought we played really well I have to say. Some very neat football first half to open up a solid team. Sadly we didn’t convert the openings. Failing to test the keeper when presented with good chances cost as today, as it did against Burton last week.

I thought Barnsley looked well organised and with such physicality in all positions they’re a difficult side to play against.

• edited March 2023

Say what you like about drummer Tom, but a lot of the time he's all you can hear from the terrace, which is quite incredible really.

Not up on these things but have that large group of teens/early 20s from a few years ago who used to dominate the noise stopped going? Or has the enthusiasm worn off a bit?

Not a criticism as such as I've never been any sort of chanter / noise maker. Occasional albeit still reasonably polite outbursts at the ref / players stealing yards at throw ins are my limit.

• Hanlan has so many strengths but he'll never be a traditional target man.

He'll always be the pacey part of a duo.

He has got a bit better at getting flick than though.

• Just got home, disappointed with the result, if wemake the playoffs. I wouldn't mind playing Barnsley in the semis. Didn't think they offered much and it was the subs available to both teams that won the game for them, our bench had nothing to offer attacking wise.

• Tjay looks to me a far more complete player than wee Alex.

• edited March 2023

Some lovely football. No finishing. Hanlan is 75% of a really really good striker. He just is not as quick of mind as he is of foot.

Campbell maybe should have come off earlier. Tjay was more effective to me.

It’s over isn’t it guys 😞