Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• edited March 2023

I agree with @DevC about not getting sucked down into rabbit hole discussions by following the bait (how ironic...) but "It's horrendous football, they just boot it" is getting very close to being "insulting", from a manager of a rival club. Especially when put side by side with the delightful clip that @floyd shared.

So hypocritical too, when you look at that chance when @Malone's "agricultural lank pot" was just wide direct from a long punt out from the keeper, the ultimate in long ball hoof and hope.

But as Dev said, time to move on.

• I'm going to stick my neck out and say that if he ever made his way to Adams Park I would be done. He should have nothing to do with football. Not JUST because of his history but of his continued odious spouting making me wonder why clubs employ him. His recent outburst about his captain (they are just young athletes after all) was terrible, shameful and his bosses should look at this treatment as bullying. He is a ****

• Just looked at a few of the forum comments. A lot seem to think that despite the 2-0 scoreline, we were 'not very good'. Seems we were limited to two chances and made to look better by their relative shortcomings. I'll take that for the rest of the season.

• You do wonder why a club would bring Barton in.

There are 100s and 100s of candidates, so why would you bring in such a character?

• To stop Sol Campbell applying?

To be fair, he got them promoted and almost got Fleetwood promoted. He may be a bellend, but his record isn't too shabby.

• edited March 2023

Contrast Barton’s ramblings with the pre-match thoughts of Barnsley boss Michael Duff https://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/20232/march/duff-pre-wycombe/

• He got Fleetwood to the L1 play-offs and Bristol Rovers promoted from L2 and established in L1. I wouldn't have him here, but you can understand why he attracts clubs.

• ON WYCOMBE WANDERERS

"Wycombe will be a tough game, we know that. That's not just me rolling out lines - they beat us 3-0 at our place. They were in the Championship last year. They've done well in this division in the last few years. They're not 'little Wycombe'. 

"They've been on a good run. You look at the run we've been on, we were sixth for a long time and they were on our tails the whole time."

ON MATT BLOOMFIELD

"I know Matt really well. I did my management diploma at the LMA with him. I got to know him personally, really well. He's a really good guy. Deep thinker, and emotionally intelligent - he gets it. We know that we'll have to be at it."

Proper manager.

• It would take one hell of a lot to stop me watching Wycombe but appointing him would be the end of my 48 years following the club. Fortunately, we are more principled than that so I am confident it won’t happen. It’s worth taking a glance at the list of misdemeanours in Barton’s life on and off the field to remind yourself what kind of person he is, and there are other stories not in the public domain. I would rather be relegated to the National League than have him anywhere near our club.

• It did surprise me that Gaz always seemed to genuinely get on with him

• It's funny that after everyone sneered at such a poor team cheating their way to promotion and predicted humiliation at every step for us...there is a lot of 'You have to remember they were a Championship side not long ago...' floating about.

• I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Michael Duff and he is a top guy as well as a very good manager.

• He will have done proper preparation. I prefer them to just assume we’ll lump it.

• I prefer it when opposition managers slag us off before we beat them. If they give us due credit, it means they're taking us seriously.

• edited March 2023

I was surprised how ordinary Barnsley looked at their place, but I guess the two “worldies” knocked them off their stride a bit (neither scorer will be playing tomorrow) and the third goal wasn’t too shabby either. I expect them to be bang up for it tomorrow, we will need to be on it from the proverbial “minute one” to have any chance of staying in the game. Matt’s toughest challenge since taking charge. Big, big match - can’t wait...!

• Gaz got on with everyone on the surface, but I’ve no doubt his respect for Joey had waned over time.

Joey Barton suffers from the tragic combination of being very arrogant, and a little bit thick. He’s got it in his head so deeply that we are a horrendous route 1 footballing side that he can’t seem to say anything remotely accurate before or after the games, whilst maintaining this strange ‘we’re better than them’ aura (very odd for someone who’s beaten us only once in nearly ten games).

I think the sensible sectors of the footballing world would see his comments as nothing more than an attempt to detract from his own short-comings.

In the meantime, the best thing we can continue to do as a club is to keep on beating him (6 points alone from Pep Barton this season), and use our social media communication channels to show him up for the idiot that he is, just in a far more subtle and less deluded way.

• edited March 2023

I think Barton is a far more nuanced character than people seem to be giving him credit for, and he's definitely not thick.

He's certainly done some dreadful things in the past. But he's acknowledged that he's had issues with alcohol, anger management and taken steps to try to overcome them.

For what it's worth, his comments about Wycombe are laughable and do nothing more than motivate us to beat him and actually put his side in a worse position

• Gareth was the master of saying the right thing. Half playing the game, half genuinely a top guy.

But every week it was "xx manager is doing a great job" according to Gaz. Not every manager in the league can be doing a great job!

• It's the classic moral victory stuff that some people that play the "right way" seem to hold.

How he could say it's dreadful football and we just boot it after we did anything but that a couple of days ago is bizarre stuff.

• If you knew about some of the things involving Barton that have never become public knowledge- one concerning a popular former Wycombe player- I’m not sure you would have written this post.

• I presume you are referring to the water buffalo incident?

Unlike yourself, Alan, as normal supporters we can only form opinions on players/managers public persona not the real man. In that context while clearly there have been issues as @eric_plant raises, cant honestly say I have strong feelings about him.

You are in the privileged position of being able to form a more informed opinion and it is fairly clear what that opinion is. Clearly you are more than entitled to form that opinion.

We won the game on Tuesday. There is another key game tomorrow. Bring it on.

• Setting aside his strange obsession with a Wycombe team that has clearly got under his skin, can I suggest that you look into Barton’s past list of offences on and off the field that are in the public domain? If you still feel that he is a reformed character about whom you have no strong feelings that is your prerogative, but I think most people would share my view of him.

• Other people's opinions are up to them, of course.

With respect, while Barton may have his strange obsession with a Wycombe team that has clearly got under his skin, some may suggest you are in danger of forming a similar strange obsession with Barton who has clearly got under your skin. Maybe just ignore him?

• For me Barton is a bit like Russell Brand more intelligent than given credit for but not as clever as they think they are. Hence sometimes bizarre statements and contrary behaviour.

Barton has some.progressive views but spoils it by periods of unnecessary violence...Brand is funny and knowledgeable but is presently disappearing down the conspiracy theory black hole and starting to look a bit Morrissey.

• edited March 2023

Joey Barton compared a poor performance by his team to the Holocaust; I would say that he is, in fact, a bit thick. As for the Bayo incident, is anyone honestly surprised? Barton is a textbook scumbag.

• Barton is a walking Dunning Kruger.

• I found the comments about Aaron Collins more astonishing than anything he said about us. As a reasonably senior manager, I can't think of anyone who has ever worked for me whose performance would have been improved by that kind of public slagging off.

• About as far away from Gaz as you could get eh?