Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• I suppose some of those on here who throughout even his most successful periods regularly called for GA's head and claiming that he was out of his depth will probably be delighted to see him finally get the sack from somewhere @davecz

• ….aaaaand, here you go.

Barton seems to be more focused on slagging off his own players, too tired even to bitch about us.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/joey-barton-aaron-collins-bristol-8251625

• That’s an astonishing attack on his captain. I’m so glad we went with another class act like Bloomers.

• And back handed compliments about good goal keeping and good defending

• Great performance tonight after a tough opening 10 minutes where Rovers had our defence in a spin.

well done Blooms for the changes second half and for bringing off TJay ( who was fab-u-lous tonight!) and for going back 5. Then Rovers struggled and we played well on the break.

Was that really a 25 pass move from the boys? Wow I am enjoying Blooms ball.

Finally McCleary had a brilliant second half

• What a consummate Muppet. One thing I dislike is "I'm all about being honest" used when putting people down, as if it is impossible to be supportive and positive without lying.

• Wycombe Wanderers on Twitter: "FT: Bristol Rovers 0-2 #Chairboys A more than competent performance to complete the league double over Joey Barton's side. YOUUU BLUUUUUES! #BRRvWYC https://t.co/Mhmal1kfyn" / Twitter

I would like to take a minute to acknowledge what I assume is Matt Cecil's perfect trolling of Barton in the Twitter post above. More than competent indeed!

• If my manager spoke publicly about me in the way Barton spoke about Aaron Collins, I’d tell him to go fuck himself and I’d find another job

• Just back, superb win with a decent number of players out.

Wondered if we might give a few cameos to youngsters but probably wasn't worth it at 2. If we'd scored a third very much so.

Need a few of the senior players back for Barnsley. Hopefully a couple were left out to be ready for that one.

And a great save or 2 from Max at 0-0. Could easily be forgotten but a huge part of the win tonight.

• Ridiculous. Not only mocking his international hopes but basically calling him a bottler!

There's plenty of players that sort of approach would just totally alienate.

• What a Muppet , am beginning to think managers should be fined for saying that their team were basically better "except for not scoring and conceeding" as if they aren't fairly important parts of the game.

No issues with him calling out a player for ducking a header or not playing well but then takes it way over a line criticising not only his form but general suitability for international football, trashing him where most managers would build a player up and give them a target, the article implies the guy has played 30 odd games already this season and is probably knackered but Joseph can't see that. Some of the pitch comments are silly too, maybe they shouldn't overpass on a bad surface, maybe if he won't keep mentioning it he actually shouldn't mention it.

• I am sure the groundskeepers there are thrilled he is calling them out too. It would not surprise me if they are making extra divots just to spire him at this point.

• edited March 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • An excellent win and what a great atmosphere at the Memorial Ground last night. The lad doing the announcing was excellent and it would be great to have someone like that at AP, he really did get the atmosphere pumped up. Hanlon was unstoppable and Grimmer, Max and Forino were excellent.

We travelled on the official supporters coach for the first time in years having always taken our car but the coach experience was excellent and the organisers deserve massive plaudits for what they do for our club. 👍

• another cracker:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/joey-barton-bristol-rovers-pitch-8251692

"Rovers’ ground staff were declared the best in League One by the EFL for the 2018/19 campaign after successfully addressing a long period where the Mem surface was lambasted for its unevenness and propensity to cut up, particularly by former manager Darrell Clarke.

That debate unfortunately looks to be returning as Barton’s frustrations have been amplified by the fact direct sides such as Barnsley and now Wycombe have benefitted from playing at the Mem, where the opposite should be true."

Where was this endless "direct play"? Hmm..

"“You’ll get all the people saying, ‘oh, what’s his excuse this time? It’s not the ref, it’s the pitch’ but you’re asking me a question and I’m giving you an answer: is the pitch the reason we got beat tonight? No, absolutely not. Is it a mitigating circumstance to the first goal and goals change games, yeah, you have to look at that bobble and think it is,” Barton added.

“You’ve watched Lamare play in recent weeks, he very rarely gives it away. If you watch the ball, it hits a bobble, hits his other foot and then puts Hanlan in for the first goal.

“We need to get to the bottom of it because if we want to get promoted out of this division, my teams usually have the ball, build through. I can coach a different way, I played a different way so it’s no problem for me. But I don’t want to do it because I believe I can do it a different way.

"It’s a lot easier to strip this back and go route one but it means I’ll have to recruit completely differently in terms of personnel and we’ll be in the market for Wycombe-type players who can handle the physicality.”

• McCleary could have set up a second goal perfectly for a 2 on 1 with Hanlan and TJ had it not bobbled. It's the same for both teams. He knows that surface, he plays on it every other week. His fault if he can't work with it, not everyone else's.

• As an occasional traveller on the official supporters coach and someone who went with them on Saturday, I echo your sentiments. It really is a very pleasant and friendly experience.

• To sum up Barton's comments, what he's saying is that their pitch is bad and whilst he's a good enough coach to have his teams play a different way to mitigate the problems with the pitch and compete with team like Wycombe, he doesn't want to!

Well, I admire his principles (I mean, I don't, but you know what I'm saying!), but I think I might be a bit miffed it I was a Rovers fan and their manager has basically admitted that he refuses to play in a way that would enable his team to complete with the likes of Wycombe and Barnsley.

Granted the pitch wasn't great, but it didn't stop us stringing together some great moves. He must have missed the 25 passes we made in the build up to Wing's effort being deflected just wide in the 1st half.

• All Highway Code fans will have seen this before. I’ve adapted it slightly for Joey.

Whilst driving, the speed limit should not be seen as a target. You should always drive or ride to the road conditions and at a speed where you feel comfortable, that is safe for you and other road users and ensures that you are in full control of the vehicle.

Whilst playing, champagne football should not be seen as a target. You should always play to the pitch conditions and in a style where you feel comfortable, that is effective for you and your teammates and ensures that you are in full control of the football.

• edited March 2023

Magnificent that is.

Wycombe type ultra physical players like Campbell, Wing, Mccleary, McCarthy, JJ, Grimmer etc.

All absolute brutes that the old Wimbledon would be after!

A few managers clearly haven't clocked the change to a lot more football on the floor either.

• The irony is when I arrived I thought the pitch looked pretty good for this far into a season.

Maybe I was basing that off Burton's nonsense last week.

• That spell of play alone should be enough to put Barton's comments to bed. Problem is, it had the Rovers players chasing shadows, and I'm sure Joey will have a view of the quality of the floodlights at the Mem...

• I'm sure Mr Barton would argue this video only shows us controlling the ball and not the horse punchers NOT controlling the ball. But you know what you are going to get with Wycombe don't you

• edited March 2023

God forbid you should look for players who can handle the physicality of the division you are in. How horrible that would be.

Next people will be calling for Joey Cruyff to start slumming it by practicing set pieces and defending.

• Tbf from what I've seen on twitter this morning Rovers fans have in he main be pretty complimentary, saying we played good football and were the better team on the night

• The delicious irony in the comments of a man from whom I have zero respect is that his team resorted to long ball football for most of the second half.

• For whom I have zero respect, predictive text strikes again.

• Yep there is the massive elephant in the room of would you want someone like Barton to be praising your character etc