Skip to content

Match day thread: Exeter

Comments

• Can sort of understand the logic playing him deep, as he's got a great passing range.

However, he's also got a great shot on him, so you want him as close to the goal as often as possible.

• I try not to post straight after game these days. It used to get me in trouble and a lot of "thumbs downs".

Rewind to 10 games played - people on here said "it's time for GA to go/we need fresh ideas/tactically inept/we are mid-table or relegation fodder this season" etc etc

Fast forward and we are challenging for a playoff position. I seem to remember the playoffs "slipping away" from us last season too and we still made the final.

I am diagnosing the Gasroom with bipolar or suchlike. It is so hot and cold. Have some faith. It's a new chapter at WWFC and if you can honestly say that you weren't one of those people that I mention above, then hats off to you. If you were one of those, then be grateful for what we have. You have seen this past two months how quickly things can be lost in football.

Up the Wyc. Keep the faith. I love this club.

• @thecatwwfc I vividly recall a disappointing draw last season, perhaps later on in the season, but maybe also in March, and hearing a couple remark "that's the playoffs finished then".

We've still got 13 games left, and a little run can do wonders.

• Of course, it might be too late by then, but let's give it a few games while Blooms finds his feet. Today was really poor but not necessarily and indicator of what's to come - we didn't play badly v Shrewsbury.

• I think it’s a bit unfair to say we were really poor. Exeter we’re decent. But our formation suggested to me that we had not practised it enough with those players. Maybe the injuries we had were late forcing our hand a bit. The left side was weak, and with respect to Campbell he’s no defender.

If Scowen and GMac are injured for Tuesday it’s going to be hard. Really hard.

A little gripe about Hanlan. He’s got everything, bar anticipation. I don’t know if he loses concentration or just doesn’t read the game. He’s so frustrating. He could destroy teams. He’s just ….. agggghhh sometimes.

• Looking at the remaining fixtures...

Paired with Derby, and Ipswich not setting the world alight at the moment - I think we have every chance....

Realistically (probably with a hint of bias)...

Tue  7 Mar  FLEETWOOD TOWN        H Win
    Sat 11 Mar  Burton Albion         A Win
    Tue 14 Mar  Bristol Rovers        A Draw
    Sat 18 Mar  BARNSLEY              H Draw
    Sat 25 Mar  Charlton Athletic     A Draw
    Sat  1 Apr  MILTON KEYNES         H Win
    Fri  7 Apr  Ipswich Town          A Lose
    Mon 10 Apr  FOREST GREEN ROVERS   H Win
    Sat 15 Apr  Morecambe             A Draw
    Tue 18 Apr  Cambridge United      A Win
    Sat 22 Apr  LINCOLN CITY          H Win
    Sat 29 Apr  CHELTENHAM TOWN       H Win
    Sun  7 May  Portsmouth            A kick-off 12 noon Draw

I don't see anyone in that list bar Ipswich, Barnsley and maybe Pompey that worry us when we are at our best.

26 points takes us to 80. You'd THINK it would be enough (sorry Plymouth fans)

• For anyone that has the time and knowledge of recent form and injuries....

https://www.worldfootball.net/table_calculator/eng-league-one/

• As well as Exeter manipulated us, we seemed at a total loss as to how to change shape to restrict the space. Blooms acknowledged that we were far too open.

• On paper we've got a real chance. And I can't remember who, but either Bolton or Barnsley have a horrible run coming up.

However, on paper we'd all have had today as a win.

You've got us losing just one of the next 13. Love the optimism, but that'd be an amazing achievement.

• @Malone - Based on optimism and on the fact you would have said similar at this run of fixtures....

un  4 Dec  PORTSMOUTH            H W 2-0  6306 (1828) Mehmeti, McCleary
    Sat 10 Dec  Lincoln City          A D 0-0  7536  (239)
    Sat 17 Dec  IPSWICH TOWN          H W 1-0  7602 (2612) Hanlan
    Mon 26 Dec  BRISTOL ROVERS        H W 2-1  6664 (1203) Wheeler, Wing
    Thu 29 Dec  Plymouth Argyle       A L 0-1 15579  (427)
    Sat  1 Jan  Peterborough United   A W 3-0  7483  (530) Wing 2, Tafazolli
    Sat 14 Jan  SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY   H L 0-1  8302 (2572)
    Tue 24 Jan  OXFORD UNITED         H W 2-0  5935 (1481) Vokes, Mehmeti
    Sat  4 Feb  Port Vale             A W 3-0  7237  (389) Hanlan, Jacobson (pen), McCleary
    Sat 11 Feb  DERBY COUNTY          H W 3-2  7167 (1853) Vokes, Wing 2 
    Tue 14 Feb  Accrington Stanley    A W 2-0  1900  (201) Scowen, McCleary
    Sat 18 Feb  BOLTON WANDERERS      H W 1-0  6544 (1475) Wing

Before Shrewsbury we lost 0 points from a possible 15.

"On paper" you (or anyone), would have had us dropping points vs Bolton, Ipswich, Derby, Pompey and Posh. We didn't drop a single point in any of those which is why we are so frustrating!

• I to love my club and I’m very happy to have you back as manager Matt but that was not good to watch. Regards

• Very true, but the managerial switch changes it all.

Mixed feelings about midweek. Could be a good chance to hit back straight away.

But if Scowen and McCleary are out, we'll be stretched.

Gape sounds well off a return, whereas Thompson hasn't made the bench the last 2 weeks.

Freeman and Hanlan can come in, but it leaves very little to change the game on the bench.

• The first part of the game with JJ at left back and Campbell nowhere to be seen in defence was terrifying. Obita is a really important player for us as JJ isn't a left back anymore, he's a quality left-of-three centre back.

And GMac, what a player.

• I tend to avoid posting my tactical analysis because I don’t have the understanding that comes from having played the game without being encouraged not to, nor a brain that does well at making sense of a lot of visual information coming in at once. Both explained by dyspraxia.

But even I could see that we looked confused and people weren’t where they needed to be. McCarthy seemed to be too far up the pitch and Wing stuck too deep. I assume the latter was on Blooms’ instruction and the former not. McCarthy seems to play on passion and desire to make things happen - admirable but not always effective. Work for Blooms on discipline and tactical deployment. No reason to think he can’t do both though, it’s early days and a win Tuesday might get the mojo right back.

• edited March 2023

Just got home, a disappointing game with poor final ball, it was a game where De Barr could of made a difference (should of been on instead of Freeman), someone with pace who will give the defenders a battering, its all well playing ball up to Vokes but he needs someone running of him. Regarding the defence is Wakely a worse centre half then McCarthy is at rightback. On a positive note we got a point on a day we wasn't firing on all cylinders

• Interesting view. If GMac is injured I reckon we'd look pretty dangerous with Chem and Tjay on the wings

• Chem has a long way to go to transition from U-21 carpet ball. He was out of position out of possession most of the game, exposing JJ even more.

• Given Matt’s post match assessment, I’m not sure we’ll be seeing the same 4-2-3-1 formation on Tuesday - or for a while.

Which would probably count against Campbell playing.

In any event, I thought he was quite disappointing today really. He’s only young so hopefully there’s more to come but by the second half he was basically a passenger. Although he did take his goal well.

I think Matt will go look to go back to his preferred 3-4-1-2 in order to tighten things up. He did by the end today.

• Difficult to play that without Obita though so hopefully we will get him back soon

• It really is hard without Obita, but I’ve got a feeling he may just do it anyway and stick either Freeman or Wheeler out there.

Even with a fit Obita it’s not entirely clear that our wing backs are good enough to play that way week in week out.

• I thought Tjay would have had a good impact today, more than Hanlan or Freeman perhaps? He is fast, aggressive and has a really good shot on him.

• If he does go to 3-4-1-2 you’d have to think that opens the door for TJay to start getting a chance as he could play with either Vokes or Hanlan.

I’d be happy to see him start on Tuesday.

• The sad thing about today is there were two chances that would have been amazingly memorable goals in front of the terrace - Vokes' solo effort and Freeman's long sprint and shot.

• Yes, I blame the terrace. Clearly didn't try hard enough to "suck the ball into the net".

That sounds very rude but isn't meant to be!

• So then, team for Tuesday

Stryjek

McCarthy. Grimmer. Forino. Jacobson

Freeman Wing Wheeler

De Barr Vokes Hanlan

Down to bare bones.

• That front 3 would be chaotic if nothing else

• Definitely a nightmare in terms of the holding midfield role. Our first three options - Scowen, Thompson and Gape - are all injured (we think) and a fourth, Adam Leathers, is out on loan.

All of Wing, Freeman and Wheeler have played there at some point this season, when we had a similar problem in the first few months of the season (which will be very familiar to Matt!).

Possibly a chance that Jack Young might get a chance. He played that role against Bracknell in the week in the week and did ok. If not to start then off the bench.

• edited March 2023

Good point @Theatre_of_Chairs .

Young came in on a 3 year deal which is quite the show of faith.

He's barely been near it in part down to injury. But if he's not getting a chance of a start, having been fit for a fair while, with the three players he most resembles out, it doesn’t look that positive for him.

• An alternative perspective would be that the three year deal was given to dissuade other suitors alerted to his potential and/or that he was a ‘slow burn’ developer. The tenacious mid field terrier role is rarely a young players game, Josh, Thomo, Gape all have miles on the clock.

With a three year deal Young has nothing to prove YET (unlike other youngsters whose whole career hangs by a one season thread). Next season will be key for him. Up to him if he for fills or wastes the opportunity.

• Always willing to give players time but he's not even been anywhere near most matchday squads, unless of course he's been injured a lot but of course we don't know that.

For some perspective he's 3 months older than Anis, 6 months younger than Forino and 17 months older than Ali Al-Hamadi.