Skip to content

From one financial challenge to another?

Comments

• It's a definite example of the funny old game. The perspective changes week by week:

Both QPR and Wycombe lose: "This is a rough start for both managers - is this going to work out for either of them?"

QPR lose but Wycombe beat Fleetwood: "Poor GA - Blooms is definitely getting the better of these managerial moves."

QPR beat Watford and Wycombe lose to Burton: "Poor Matt - our squad is so thin! GA looks to have turned things around though."

Wycombe beat Rovers and QPR get hammered. "Blooms looks the part! Poor GA - will he last beyond the end of the season?"

All very knee jerk, I know, but it has been a bit of a rollercoaster for both managers so far. That all being said, I do feel we are in very good hands with Matt Bloomfield, whether we finish 6th or 11th.

• edited March 2023

I suspect GA will be sharing a few stark messages & home truths with his squad in private, whilst giving one of his usual magnanimous post match press conferences where he praises the other side & glosses over his own team deficiencies.

• I’ve seen QPR described as soft and disorganized tonight, neither of which strike me as wholly down to GA. If he gets to a transfer window he‘ll be fine.

• Some fans are already turning against Ainsworth saying he is out of his depth and can only play hoof ball.

• Probably the same fans who were extoling him on Saturday!

• People said that about him here for eleven years.

• Latest AinsWATCH update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7DeeBxunNk

He looks a lot happier after the 6-1 defeat but I think he's been crying.

• In happier times we might strengthen a pipeline with QPR to take their best talent on loan. But as is, even if GA gets another year, I don't think there is anyone we would want!

• Don't type 'strengthen a pipeline with QPR' on a work computer. blimey

• Disappointingly I only got a hit on a site about social selling. @LX1 what on earth is powering your search algorithm?

• QPR already 1-0 down at home to Birmingham.

• It's hard to see GA being given next season even if he keeps them up at this rate. He may end up getting one match at QPR for every year he was at Wycombe. What a trade off.

• I think he will be fine Shev. 50 points will be more than enough this season, so they only need 2 wins and 2 draws from their final 8 games. He will then have the close season to bring in his own type of players.

• Based on their 3 points from the 4 games he has been in charge, they are not on that pace, though surely 48 would be enough too?

I am more concerned that they are playing badly in an apparently awful style. They may just let him keep them up but then move on, unless they simply can't afford to sack him.

• They've won one game in nearly 20. Ainsworth won that game. He has signed zero players and probably had less than a dozen training sessions. Ex players like Gallen jumping in to moan about the style is a bit early and OTT. They're hardly vintage Ajax and last time they were any good was probably under Warnock.

• Kevin Gallen has always been a c**t

Cousins should have properly ironed him out for that dive that sparked off the brawl in the infamous Phil Prosser game

• You had to be there @micra Not only were reduced to 9 men but nearly nicked a draw out of it in spite of that idiot of a referee. I was raging walking back down the South Africa Road. 🤬

• GA does seem on borrowed time at QPR (mentioned in the other thread but thought I would resurrect this one as Other Football is more general). Fans on their forums feel the club has gone backwards even from Critchley, because the style is so horrible. Few see him lasting past October even if they stay up.

It is a horrible situation - it is not totally hindsight, as there was always a school of thought that GA and Wycombe were made for each other, and he is not the sort of man to walk into a club and turn it around instantaneously, all the more so at a higher level. He built our culture for over a decade until he had the right characters and the right buy-in. But for all that, it is understandable he would bet on himself - it just seems like the heart ruled the head a little and he went to a club he loved, rather than a situation that could work. Based on what I have read from their fans, there could barely be a squad as far from the GA ideals both on and off the pitch than this current QPR lot.

Unfortunately, given the theories about his suitability, GA probably only had one shot at making the jump to the second tier with anyone other than us. If it does not work out at QPR, and especially if his tactical nous and style of play is called into question, I don't think he will ever get another Championship shot.

It's a bit premature to talk about where he goes next, but if he does get the sack, I feel like he will probably have to rebuild from L2, with a southeastern club somewhat down on it's luck like a Crawley or a Wimbledon. With the money sloshing around in the Conference, maybe a Barnet or a Bromley.

What a sliding doors moment this has all been for three clubs. Michael Beale really set some dominoes in motion when he went to Rangers. QPR at one stage were top after 16 games, and now they are crashing down the table, we have lost momentum, and, as the only ray of sunshine, Colchester are back to struggling.

I suppose the other ray of sunshine is that GA leaving guaranteed that Mr. Wycombe would never become a Colchester legend!

• Now word for word as an opinion this would make for an excellent BFP article 👏😂.

All very accurate and plausible @Shev

• Still angers me. An injustice of extraordinary scale (based on an almost racial bias) that was known by everyone but still ignored by the referee.

• Wrexham might be looking for a manager who can get a team from Div2 to the Championship and is happy working with American owners,

• I really doubt they would want GA at all.

• I can see him ending up at Lincoln or Port Vale in the future.

• I can see him turning QPR around and having a long enjoyable tenure there.

Hope so anyway.

Perhaps best not to seemingly take pleasure from kicking a true legend when he is down.

• It was actually meant to be a thoughtful analysis of the predicament he finds himself in. I am following the situation keenly precisely because I do care about him as a human being.

• I suspect as soon as he ditches the Martin and Dykes combo up front then their fortune will change. He tried Bayo and Vokes here a lot and it rarely worked. We were so immobile.

I hope he can get a couple of wins soon, as it will be sad to see him gone given what he could have achieved here this season.