Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• edited February 2023

How do the Shrews fans watch that every week. Time wasting at every opportunity , in the ref’s face after every decision and the pitch is terrible.

my middle son said to me at half time, “This is like the game away at Swindon in League 2”. Anyone else remember that one - windy day, poor football, 1-0 defeat…?

• Today was one of those days against a tough dogged, dirty and determined opponent. Our morale has been dented by the turmoil of this week and that showed through with players being slightly off their game. Enough for Shrewsbury to take advantage. Today our first touches didn’t come off and we were just too late to second balls. Not the best day at the office but we don’t become a bad team overnight. Good that we haven’t got a mid week game other than the B&B (?) - gives us some time to regroup. COYB!

• I know this is an Oxford type argument, but even on a bad day we had pretty much double their shots and shots on target, and more possession. I only say that to show that our down days are still pretty good!

• Huge game Tuesday

• People have said this about us for years. We all love watching Wycombe every week, and I suspect it’s the same for Shrewsbury.

Let’s not bring ourselves down to the level of clubs that have slammed us in the past under the guise of ‘imagine watching that every week’.

• I hear you, but we wouldn't be fulfilling our duty as football fans if we didn't completely forego any sense of self-awareness.

• Exactly, there's never been a right or a wrong way to play, and generally if your team wins fans are happy

• Matt Bloomfield in 2033, 'De Barr's late winner at Bracknell saved my career.'

• It was just one of those days where we weren't going to score in a month of Sundays. When Forino attempted early on to send a slide rule pass down the left wing with the outside of his boot to set up a promising attack, but somehow scuffed it with his instep and out for a throw, I knew what was in store! Nevertheless, it was good to be there for Matt's first game in charge.

• Disappointing result but was always going to be a tough game. Next four matches before Barnsley at home have potential to define the season.

• The last week has been full of massive change with Gareth and Dobbo leaving and Matt coming in. For everyone but more so with the players this has been a change of dynamic within the club. Matt will do do well, he has little time with the squad before today. His post match interview today was great. Articulate, intelligent and knowing he has now a week to progress his ideas. We did lose today but I have no doubt this was a blip in our progress. He knows the club culture and what is needed.

Shrewsbury were the worst opponents we could have played today but that’s football. The club is in safe hands, Onwards and upwards. Results have gone against us despite our unbeaten run, someone above us will fade. Be great if it was Derby, that might be too much to hope for. Should we not not make the play offs it will not be the lack of trying. To quote others on here, COYB !.

• I think we did go a little too aerial considering the nature of the opponent, and Campbell would have been better at the start for someone who can beat a man (McCleary did pretty well too). I actually don't think most of the players were terrible, just uninspiring and that little bit off, for the most part. That all being said, if the Shrews' keeper does not make a fantastic save from that beautiful Obita free kick, there is every chance we go on and win the game.

• wasn’t able to watch the game, or even follow it, so forgive me for sounding wise after the event. Regardless of how good we feel about Blooms, this has been a tough week for us, goodness only knows what it’s been like for the players. Add to that they might have only had one full speed training session with MB and RT. In some ways a defeat was inevitable today.

• Seemed almost identical game as Cheltenham away just before Christmas. Opposition no great shakes, score whilst it's a pretty even game and then 60 mins of nothingness, defending pretty comfortably.

Haven't watched highlights yet but McCarthy seemed very hesitant for that 2nd goal, and didn't really offer anything after than change in formation to accommodate him. Keep Wheeler and Obita as wing backs I think and hope either Grimmer or Taf are back for next week to go with Forino and Willis.

• It was all my fault anyway. Both Shrewsbury goals happened when I stopped watching to let the dog out. As far as I am concerned it was 0-0.

• To quote the great man never too high, never too low on to next week.

• I thought the Shrewsbury fans were great yesterday. They created a lively atmosphere all around the ground and I can imagine that, on a really big match day (notwithstanding the chairboys were in town yesterday), the place is rocking.

• I’m not sure I’d keep the three at the back formation as our default, I’d just have it there for special occasions.

Personally, I think we tend to look a better side when playing 4-2-3-1. We did yesterday. And it will help us get Campbell into the team, which on yesterday’s evidence looks like something we should be trying to do.

Jack Grimmer should be back next week which means we can go back to a flat back four as he and Forino should be a decent pairing.

• Campbell certainly made a case for a start yesterday as he is a massive threat. The only comment I would say about him is that he needs to learn when to simplify. Anis last season was frustrating / frustrated when teams put 2 or 3 others on him and he still tried to take them on. This season if a team put 1 on him, he simply destroyed them. If a team put 2 or 3 on him he learnt to get the ball to others (like GMac or Wing). Campbell was still trying to get past too many yesterday.

• Hashtag notoriouslyhardtoplease

• You're going to get some posters absolutely throbbing at their biscuit at this one.

• Not this again

• There are suggested to be 10^10^16 universes in a multivrrse so it doesn't really matter if it does!

• It’s the multiverse that worries me most. All that bloody poetry.

• And we're above MK & Oxford - in the league standings - in all of them.