Skip to content

Match day thread: Shrewsbury

Comments

• At least we don’t have to watch that every week.

• Shrews have been comfortable defending balls into the box and long balls up to Vokes. We clearly needed to get players on sooner who could play through the lines. Freeman ought to have been on earlier.

Weak defending for both goals conceded and poor finishing when we did get that chance with Hanlan. Overall, not a good performance at all and those mistakes decided the outcome of a poor quality game.

Having said all that, it should have been a penalty for a clear handball. Had the referee been better we might have scraped a point.

• We’ve been Wycombed by Shrewsbury twice this season.

Campbell reminds me of Mehmeti a couple of years ago - brilliant with the ball but not quite good enough defensively for the way we play. His flair going forward is exciting enough we should find a way to fit him in though.

• Credit where it’s due, their defence were incredibly well organised and Saydee was a real handful. We looked well short of recent form, but a lot of that was down to the Shrews. Plus a couple of star performers having an off day.

• I normally quite like Gabriel Sutton on co-comms but I thought it was a lazy performance from him today - too quick to banter and in-joke and rarely providing any analysis. He also needs to stop oohing and ahhing at every move - he's not on the terrace, he's there to provide dispassionate analysis. I saw on Twitter he's hawking himself about for more co-comms work at other clubs so I offer this criticism in the spirit of being constructive.

To be fair, his performance was no worse than any of the Wycombe players on the pitch. Only Campbell offered any light at the end of that tunnel of dross.

• He did his best to make us sound like we had some remote threat with his whoops and gurgles, but that is one game we can all be glad we didn't put a 5 hour round trip in for.

• No panic. You have games like that where everything goes wrong and everyone plays badly. On the back of such a good run it seems worse of course.

We couldn’t pass for sh1t. Crossing terrible. Set pieces unreliable. Just nothing worked. NOTHING. When Josh is not an 8/10 you know something is wrong. An 8 is an off day for him normally.

Campbell is probably worth a start now. Instead of … Hanlan?

Next week at AP we can rock this team to a performance and a win then the Bloomfield era can begin.

• this, basically. A bad day at the office but credit Shrews for doing exactly what they needed to, being very solid defensively and mopping up all our chances.

• Yes, best team won on the day.

• Still 7th.

• Agree with this entirely. It’d be wrong to put that result on Bloomfield, as personnel and system was pretty much identical to anything we’ve done this season. Just execution was terrible today, mainly aided by tough conditions, an awful pitch and a stubborn Shrewsbury side.

Still 4 pts off playoffs with 14 to go, although next Saturday feels a lifetime away.

• And as Gab would say, we’ve at least secured League One football for next season.

• This game would have been a battle anyway, but with midweek turmoil in the club no wonder it all looked a bit lacking in energy.

Definitely need to hit back asap next week though.

• Bloomfield out!

I kid, of course. Only people on twitter are stupid enough to do that after one game.

• Blooms says "we acquitted ourselves well" - hmm

• I’m not as negative as others. I thought we had glimpses of quality. Shrewsbury scored against the run of play twice. We didn’t look like winning though. A draw was probably fairest. Chem campbell has to start in place of Hanlan it’s just blatantly obvious by now. Onwards and upwards.

• Need to remember that losing Ainsworth after 5 wins on the bounce will have had a catastrophic effect on morale, and Bloomfield had only 2 days to prepare the lads for today.

• Let’s face it. Agent Bloomfield has joined the dark-side and is taking us down from the inside! #Molechester #WeAreTheMoleUHaters

• Well, that’s the mark of the continuity candidate - GA rarely said anything overtly negative unless we were absolutely dire, and even then it would be something like, “we didn’t look ourselves today”.

• I think Shrewsbury would've beaten us today whoever was in charge

• Shrewsbury played well with a very well organized defence. Looked largely a zonal system with two banks 5 and 4 or 5 and 3. When we got the ball in midfield and looked up there was so little on for us.

And once they scored that felt like game over.

• Agreed. GA certainly wouldn’t have done anything differently. Matt will sort it for next week.

• edited February 2023

If JJ clatters that winger into touch who knows how today ends.

• Agreed. Not just JJ though. Multiple errors in that goal’s event.

• Not saying it would have changed result. But ref gave everything to them

• It’s been a long and difficult week. No matter how much behind Blooms the team are, and I have no reason to believe they are anything other than 100% behind him, at least half of this week will have been emotionally and mentally draining for everyone. Blooms and the staff included.

Make no mistake, this is a huge change for team, Club and fans alike, so I personally am not surprised we lost today. In fact I kinda expect it.

That said, I have confidence that Matt, his Management team and the squad will draw a line under it, come in next week with a clean slate and - as a previous manager said once or twice - we go again.

• Nick Freeman

• Watched Matt’s chat with Phil after the game, he seems gutted so hopefully he can pick himself up and inspire the boys.

I also for nostalgia’s sake watched Gareth’s interview after QPR’s defeat. He never changes, and you’ve got to love him for that.

• In different ways, both have a bit of a freebie this week.

Gareth in joining a club on the down, with 1 win in now 19 games, and MB because of the mad turmoil of the week.