Skip to content

Bloomfield's In Tray

124»

Comments

• If we get promoted we do not need to reduce our wage bill.

We'd probably increase it

• Obita is an interesting one, with JJ now firmly a CB if he carries on we probably need a second LB/LWB, he's capable and we could go with a younger backup or someone better may be available and then he'd have to see about being second choice.

As for Gaz he will undoubtedly have a lot more money than he's been used to (even if it's not big for that division) and an easier sell for players at a higher level. He may come back for one or two if they continue to excel but will have lots of other options too.

• It sounds like Luca Woodhouse impressed mainly playing at left back for Slough while out on loan. Maybe we’ll see him in the B&B on Tuesday night?

• Vokes and Tafazolli are surely the most likely of those four to move on, especially of course if we remain in League 1.

• I think there will be a lot of brinkmanship regarding older players. Unlikely anyone in the south, will pay anywhere their current salaries. Do older players want to uproot at this stage of there career ?

Cant see Tafazoli being kept on, misses to many games as a top earner.

• Presumably a lot of players are still on close to the money we would have paid in the Championship. My guess is most will be offered a reduced league one contract, if we stay down, and could take it or leave. Therefore considerably reducing the overall budget

Probably 3 or 4 would be offered more -Scowen, Wing, Max, Vokes maybe Grimmer.

A few will either be released or not re sign. I think Wakely, Dickinson and Mellor will be released.

Which leaves a replacement for Anis and a second choice keeper need to be replaced

• edited February 2023

Ingram is statistically one of the best keepers in the championship. Max is better than Ingram was

• Where do people get their info from regarding players wages? It's all guesswork based on assumptions and has little weight in fact! Let's be honest, none of us really know, though it would be fair presume that Vokes is the highest paid given his history of Premiere league experience but does anyone know what he commands?

• Always depends what other offers there are in the mix, like Stockdale showed last year.

Players do genuinely love being here, so hopefully we end up keeping the majority of the players we want to keep, at some sort of vaguely sustainable level!

• Provided he keeps them up, he's in no danger. It's probably why he sensed this was the best opportunity he's had at succeeding in that job, as he can start to suss out who he wants around next season and who he doesn't, whilst having the entire off-season to build the squad in the way he wants.

• Some seem to go off that website that had ridiculous stuff like Horgan on 10k a week, McCleary on the same as Wakeley and Vokes on something like £400 a week!

Generally the higher up the leagues you go the more you get more leaks come out, as we found with league 1 - almost none of our dealings were leaked, whereas in the championship, news always broke just before.

Players like Vokes, Stockdale, McCleary played all of their careers at higher levels, and were all on 25/30k brackets at previous clubs, so that helps fuel the assumption they will be at the higher end, but really almost no-one knows the details now.

• Some seem to go off that website that had ridiculous stuff like Horgan on 10k a week, McCleary on the same as Wakeley and Vokes on something like £400 a week!

Including Derby’s accountants

• Wonder if Blooms would have kept any of the players that we have moved on recently.

In other news, where the hell is Dom Gape?!?!!!?!

• I think all the outgoings were hard to argue with. I would have liked to see more from AAH 2.0 but guess the management had both seen enough and we knew he would struggle to displace the players in front of him.

Dom Gape is a tough one. He was awol and now way worthy of a contract. Then came back and became a must have for a contract. Now he’s awol again and probably too risky to retain.

• edited February 2023

I would actually be surprised if we did not offer Dom a new contract, unless he is unlikely to ever be back. We gave Nick Freeman the security of a new contract when he was fighting back from injury (which was a classy move) and Dom is one of the trusted veterans now who has seen it all for us and provides leadership too.

• Very different circumstances between Dom Gape and Nick Freeman. Dom has been in and out (or so it seems) for a couple of seasons and it may come to a release by mutual consent (if that’s the correct expression). The future must be worryingly uncertain for the poor guy.

I totally agree that every effort needs to be made to retain the Scowen/Wing midfield pairing. Failing that, a Thompson/Freeman pairing could be pretty decent.

• Without being harsh on Vokes, McCleary and Tafazoli their options next season will be more limited than when they were when they signed by us. Their next contract will be as much influenced by their next step in life as it will be a pay check. Stockdale no doubt got more money at Wednesday but his desire to move closer to home was the biggest pull.

• The thing is, it took Gaz years to build what we have. A whole decade. The personnel, the culture, the expectations. He really does need to hit the ground running.

I guess the reality is, he is well aware of the risks associated with the role and is happy to take them on. I genuinely hope it works out for him and Dobbo. As for us, well we will continue to grow on and off the field and are blessed to have a young manager at the start of his new career who will only get better. The things that make Wycombe ‘Wycombe’ remain and we have the added benefit of having the best of Gaz and the best of Blooms merged into one. I’m excited to see what the future brings and I genuinely believe we have just as good a chance of being in the top 6 come May as we did on Saturday evening.

• I suspect Blooms has not negotiated payer contract renewals yet so this will be a learning curve for him, when it comes. Let’s hope he has good colleagues around the club to help. Is Andrew Howard still available in a contract negotiation role?

• Everyone keeps saying about Wing, he's not out of contract, we have him for another year at least.. unless he keeps scoring at the rate he is, and Chelsea gve us about 5 million for him in the summer !

• Don Gape is one of only four players who have a contract until June 2024.

• edited February 2023

I didn’t realise that Dom Gape has another year on his contract. That does complicate things.

• It took him a decade to get it to what it is now but you can't say it took him 10 years to build the environment otherwise he'd never have made 10 years, a huge chunk of goodwill came from the early style and effort, Rock n roll football and all that, boosted at Torquay with a little luck all round then the big building blocks of setting the tone, clearing out those who are not helpful and building to where we want to go happened that first summer which then led to the first play off season.

Both Blooms and Gaz will need some good pr victories and little wins to demonstrate progress and capability this season. Blooms arguably needs more wins because we're better setup. Big summers for both if they can navigate to that point and keep everyone on side.

But for all that or perhaps regardless of all that...wins are the currency...

• simplifies it in the first instance, no rush now to make a decision, can give him a chunk of time off for recovery or contemplating the future if needed.

Can see how it clouds future plans perhaps if we need a small squad. Do we need to replace him, and if we do then what happens when he is fit but it's an area where we can play two or three and injuries and suspensions are common.

Hope he gets back playing soon anyway, really nice guy and great player when he gets a run of games.

• No reason whatsoever to think there’ll be any change in the winning mentality.

• Absolutely, and I probably didn’t word it as well as I should have.

I guess it’s all about expectations. QPR are currently 8 points above the relegation zone and 11 points below the play-offs. Their board and fans, like most involved in football, want to be challenging at the top end of the table. What does success look like this season for QPR? A few of us on here have mentioned Gaz keeping them up but actually does that make it a good start to his tenure. I suspect a mid-table finish would be a good result for GA.

• Agree, and wasn't a criticism, there is that PR side now where you get sacked once the noise and criticism builds a head of steam, they both to different extents needs to demonstrate being in charge , a serious league manager, not a sentimental ex player in as a cheap or crowd pacifying stunt, and making progress.

QPRs Actual position isn't maybe that important as long as they stay up but if he can turn the form round there and get them playing well then they should really approach mid table. If it takes him longer to get them going but gets a decent run late on that might be ok too.

Really hope Blooms can keep the positivity and form going, if we don't make playoffs we have to remember it was never a certainty, if we do then Gaz and Dobbo get some credit too.

• Blooms is in a bit of a no win position really, as if we fail to get to the play-offs some people may be saying that we would have if Gaz stayed. Whereas, if we do get to the play-offs the same people will probably say that it down to Gaz.

I love Bloomers and I really think he will turn out to be a super manager for us and he needs time, as did Gareth.

I think it will be next season when we see him really put his own stamp on the team. Exciting times at Adams Park.