Skip to content

Bloomfield's In Tray

Comments

• For me your last sentence is key @Malone

I appreciate we can’t keep spending what we don’t have, so the period from now to the end of the season will define quite a lot.

• Looking at the players out of contract, I think even if it means sacrificing 2 or 3 players to be able to give Scowen more, to get him to sign a new contract, then so be it. We must keep hold of Josh

• I don't want this to sound like Josh has a lack of ambition but I do feel if the money is right for him he will stay. He received a crappy deal from Sunderland fans where as he is worshipped here. Hopefully that means a lot.

I also think that now we have seen the real Lewis Wing he should be right up there on the contract list as their partnership is something special.

• I think Wingy is already tied in for longer. Agree that he should be a priority though, he's been outstanding the last few weeks.

• There’s only one place Josh is going in the summer and that’s up the road to West London. Perhaps with Max depending on the gk situation there.

• No way Josh would go back to QPR - he hates the place. Plus their aim will be promotion, so we don't have to worry about them pinching any of our players.

• The usual ‘which old player should we bring back?’ Gasroom standard to be replaced by ‘which current player will leave for QPR?’ !?

Max is a great League One keeper but not Championship level. Josh is too old to go up a division, he has made his decent money and knows he can play out his career here if he so chooses. They both stay.

• Assuming QPR remain in the division and I think they will, I assume that Ainsworth would be looking at players who could take QPR into at least the play offs next year. Not sure Scowen , Wing, Taff or Max are at that standard. So hopefully they will stay with us. Also looking forward to getting some talented youngsters on loan deals coming from QPR to us.

• Josh could play for the next 5 or 6 years at Adam's Park and cement legend status. Like Sam Vokesy and Wingy, they are thriving on playing in a happy environment after difficult spells at previous clubs.

I would expect the top earners who are more injury prone and not regular starters to depart, as to lower the budget. But the 3 mentioned above are vital for our immediate plans, along with Max and Grimmer.

• Can only really see Ainsworth raiding us for players if he gets the squeeze put on his budget. The key for us is not wether people go, some always do, but if we can keep up the amazing bargain hunting of previous years.

I'm prepared to admit I didn't see Wingy coming on like he has this season and Max has been an amazing signing despite doubts about him not maybe being first choice. We've barely paid a fee in a decade and in that way the lower league market seems to have come round to our way of thinking but we've always been able to get a tune out of the out of favour, unwell and disillusioned.

• I imagine if he only took 1 player it would be Forino

• https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/wycombe-wanderers/vertragsende/verein/2805

Contains info on 15 of our players.

I've added a few missing players in CAPS - some of these are assumptions due to our habit of saying a player has signed on, but not confirming expiry!

2023 Scowen, Obita, (Campbell on loan), Vokes, McCarthy, Grimmer, Wakeley, JJ, De Barr, Cartwright, Freeman, Willis (short term),

MAX, TAFA, THOMPSON, GAPE, MCCLEARY, (HORGAN - out on loan)

2024 Hanlan & Forino, WING

2025 Young

That is one hell of a lot of work to sort out in the summer!

My priority list assuming we could afford the offer

SCOWEN

MAX

TAF & VOKES

EVERYONE ELSE

• Last week I would have been inclined to say 70% of those we probably know which we want to keep and have a good idea how much they'd want paying to stay but are holding off incase of promotion changing targets or drastic loss of form.

Blooms will want a good look at the budgets and how the players respond to him now.

• Surprised to see people think Max isn't Championship standard. If he's the best keeper in League 1 (which he is), then he could easily play for half the Championship clubs.

• Possibly second best keeper in the league. Cooper at Plymouth is number one.

• Not in his current state.

• With Cooper out injured I would also suggest Max is the best in the league now. We’ll do well to keep him in summer. I can see Gaz trying to bring Ingram to QPR.

• I think the QPR fans have an even lower regard for Ingram than they do Josh Scowen. Strange people.

I’d be very surprised if we don’t have an option to extend Max’s contract this summer. One of those ones we don’t know get to know anything about until they suddenly get activated. A bit like the one for Horgan in the summer.

Would be strange to just offer him one year when there was always the chance he could kick on in the way he has.

• I think the only player Ainsworth will come back for is Chris Forino. Chris is really proving to be a fantastic prospect.

• It's such a pain in the arse having good players

• It's one fan's opinion that Scowen "fell out of love with QPR", a lot of general praise about him, and which managers he was in favour with and which he wasn't.

Nothing in that article suggests if he went back there as a starter under a manager he likes it would be a surprise?

• We watch Max 40+ times a year, but I expect most of us only watch other team's keepers twice a season?

It's how perceptions like thinking Bayo was a comedy player can occur

I do like Max though obviously, but it's not that easy to compare, unless you watch a hell of a lot of other team's games.

• Genuine question: what does Gaz have to achieve at QPR this season to even get to the transfer window?

• My guess would be keep them up comfortably while also making inroads on what sounds like an awful culture.

• Agree with those who say Forino is the most likely QPR target. I wonder if his injury record will actually save us from losing him for now, though?

•  Also from QPR fans

"Josh deleted his Twitter account because of the abuse he got, his dad is on there and fights his corner, but it’s got a bit ugly and a fresh start is probably best."

I remember Josh's dad used to come on the Gasroom in his first spell, hopefully he still does, and will know how much Josh is loved and respected by Wanderers fans. Adams Park is Josh's natural habitat, let his 'ratting' continue for many a year.

• Forino needs to consistently show he's at that level first. He's an excellent prospect, but for now that's all he is

• We will need to cut our cloth accordingly, so some big names are going to have to go in the close season to lower the potential huge over spend this season and get us back to sensible wage budgets next.

We have a squad of 34 plus Chem on loan. I guess we will lower this to around 26/27 with around 4/5 B Teamers

I suspect we will see a number leave and not replaced, if I was to have a guess it will be these of the bigger names

Vokes

McCleary

JJ

Taf

I suspect the Couhigs will be looking to reduce the wage bill by at least 1.5M - 2M so some major surgery will need to take place.

As a club we must not overspend and put our future in jeopardy.