Skip to content

Official: Matt Bloomfield announced as Wycombe manager

Comments

• If he wants someone who has been here before who is bright and intelligent and has the startings of coaching then our recent set of senior pros is a fertile land. Hopefully he can accommodate one or two and offer them paths up. He needs some experience too though and will have people he can call on, all very exciting tbh.

I think he'll naturally shift the playing style a little as he'll have his own views, letting some people go will no doubt be tricky too.

• @Otter87 I think that's a bit harsh considering he's not officially our manager yet. I'm sure we'll get interviews and further details tomorrow. For today, I think it's more about saying thanks to GA and Dobbo

• As others have said, almost the only appointment that could ease the pain of Gareth and Dobbo leaving. I still think the disruption to our season means that we're very likely to miss out on the play-offs but I can live with that. I hope everyone will give him a bit of time.

• ONE MATTY BLOOMFIELD, THERE’S ONLY ONE MATTY BLOOMFIELD!!!!!!

Great appointment.

• Welcome home Matty. See you Saturday.

Looking forward to the new manager bounce!

• Welcome Blooms, brilliant to have some consistency in our culture. I know you’ll build upon what we already have here.

The Couhigs need to be recognised here too, the swift nature of it strikes to me as if it was a plan already devised, and well done for prioritising and getting their target.

• edited February 2023

Final word on Colchester from me - it's rotten for any club, but they are basically safe and would not go up anyway, so there is nothing to derail, really. But more than that, if Blooms was not doing well right now they would be screaming for him to be fired after four months, like any fan base does. Loyalty works both ways, and Wycombe and Blooms have two decades of mutual loyalty to fall back on. At any other club, Blooms would be loved until the first bad run.

• Anyone still want the Cowleys?

• Oh, and congratulations to John Coleman as the new longest serving manager in the four divisions (bar the weird Harrogate thing)...and to Matt Bloomfield as the shortest serving new manager!

• Until recently Blooms was the coach (and team-mate) of much the same team and so should hit the ground running. I would imagine he would have a pretty good idea about the way they want to/are best at playing and what Gaz and Dobbo were looking for. This is definitely a continuity appointment. Considering our recent results I doubt there will be much to alter with this squad as we push for the play-offs. I suspect he will leave any idea of changing things up until the summer (when obviously Rob will open his compensation packed checkbook!) Great appointment in my opinion...losing our management team and getting in someone with a raft of new ideas at this stage of the season would have been very risky. Hopefully what 'the fans were looking for' is what the fans will still be looking for come May. I will greet the inevitable 'Bloomfield has been found out at this level' 'He has no Plan B' 'we'll never make the play-off' posts in September with a nostalgic smile and shake of the head. Looking forward to welcoming him back to Adams Park.

• If the other stuff hasn't rendered you useless today have a look at the video of them all saying goodbye on Wanderers TV. Worth the years fee on it's own. Fkn great people.

• Some hints on twitter that Bayo might need on the support staff?

Welcome home Matt Bloomfield

• Numerous players welcoming Blooms back too, good move for squad harmony and continuity. Fair play to the Couhig's having this planned out.

• That was more emotional than even the exit interview.

• Bloomfield following Ainsworth is as

Paisley following Shankly

• And Paisley won even more than Shanks.

• Then Shanks would hang around Melwood.

• I was going to go to Shrewsbury. Then I thought, I can't bear going to Shrewsbury if Gareth leaves. Now I think, I'm definitely going to be there at Shrewsbury to see the start of Matt Bloomfield's time as Wycombe's manager. Who else feels they now have to be at Shrewsbury?

• Totally agree, it says a lot about the club about how genuinely emotional everyone was. And a mark of what a character Dobbo is when he said he will always be there for any of them if they needed him.

Although it seems a bit harsh that this is the first time in his career Rob has let anyone say goodbye when they leave.

• Why does everyone think we won't make the playoffs now? Why the hell not?

MB has propelled Colchester in a short space of time. I expect him to do the same for us.

• Hope Martty brings back his number 2. Wish Gareth and Dobbo al the best. Now we move forward. Regards

• Let's not get carried away by Blooms' return. Get him an assistant who knows what he's doing and perhaps isn't as comfortable with the players.

Let's not have CMS or Bayo.

• I do get the Couhig comment having worked for number of US investment banks, it is just their way, they don't do the sentiment bit the way we do here in the UK or Europe when people leave.

@prufrock_91 I would love it if they could convince Danny Senda to come & work with Blooms in the "Dobbo" role, judging from his coaching career & his exemplary co-comms with @bluntphil he has a wealth of tactical knowledge & reads the game & the oppositions so well.

• edited February 2023

Blooms is good news, he’s the the continuity candidate.

His first challenge is one that Gaz commented on during his time with us, getting his former team mates to treat him as Gaffer from the get go not ‘Blooms’.

if it was me I would hire a number 2 PDQ to take training most days and a match analyst so that I could put a bit of distance between myself and ‘the lads’ in the short term, letting me concentrate on strategy and tactics. Starting with how to beat Shrewsbury away on Saturday, suddenly that’s a bigger test.

Blooms has to establish his own style and culture and unless we have been in the Colchester dressing room with him, we don’t know what that is yet.

• I don't know if Blooms had his own performance analyst at Col U, but that's something we need to sort urgently.

• Get your CV in!

• Bloomfield's first home game is against Exeter, who he played his last ever game against if I am right.

GA's first is against Blackburn, his boyhood club, and last of the season against Bristol City, when Mehmeti will tear QPR a new one.

Dovetails and all that.