Skip to content

Match day thread: Accrington Stanley

Comments

• Griffin, reindeer, time capsule, eight of clubs going into a shredder. 7/10

• edited February 2023

The yellow and red thing that looks like a harmonica is actually a cotton shuttle

• One of those games you're delighted Wycombe TV exists for.

Fair play for anyone physically going, truly hats off to you.

• What about the massive Wycombe contingent in Accrington?

• edited February 2023

We've struggled away to Accrington for a long time. I would imagine the pitch is (as usual) in a bit of a state. Nevertheless, it's a good time to be facing them - low home turnout due to Valentine's day & very poor form. I do wonder if we'll try and pile the pressure on very early on and hope for them to roll over, which sounds arrogant, but Ainsworth was bold in approach against Derby and it paid off. I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see TJ De Barr start.

• edited February 2023

I think starting Tjay against one of the dirtiest teams in the league would be a wise move

• I'd imagine they'll be a few changes tonight. Wouldn't be surprised to see Campbell get a start. McCleary I'm sure will be on the bench, particularly with Bolton on Saturday in mind.

Very tough match though, as it always is against Accrington. We were fortunate to beat them earlier in the season, so will need to give a good account of ourselves to get a point or hopefully 3 tonight.

• Cocker Spaniel chasing a Lion. Now that is ‘underdog’ heraldry at it’s finest.

• We never seem to win here apart from that one game with Samuel's epic last gasp goal - his signature moment for us, surely.

• I would not have guessed that we've only lost 3/12 games there

• Wow - that is an amazing stat. It almost feels like they are a bogey team up there, but evidently not! We should have won up there last season too.

• We have also "only won once at Crown Ground in just over ten years" A narrative-builder's dream!

• What do you mean by 'we should have won there last season' ?? A draw would've been a fair result I think.

• Let us hope we go for it tonight and put a strong team out to bring home the points to Wycombe.

I appreciate players need a rest at times but we have had quite a few breaks of late so we should be fresh for the fight ahead.

• We were leading up there with a strong side. Just my own opinion that we should have been capable of holding on.

• COYB!!!! let's go there and batter them!

• Yeah fair enough. We didn't manage the game particularly well. Had chances late on too via Gape if I remember correctly. That game was the one where we showed signs of overturning our poor form.

• Spot on - we went on the 12 game unbeaten run (well, 13 including the home leg v MK) right after that result. Our next seven games had an aggregate score of 13-2!!

• LX1LX1
    edited February 2023

According to football ground guide.com, this is all that remains of Accrington's former ground, Peel Park. There is a wedding reception going on in the pub opposite if anyone is peckish.

• It feels like Peel Park is the northern version of Layer Road.

• Heading to The Crown for a pre match beer and burger! COYB!

• Presume the bride or groom are Scottish

• edited February 2023

Interesting that they have scored more than one goal on only three occasions. That no doubt reflects the stubbornly attritional nature of the vast majority of matches between the two clubs, with the accent tending to be on physicality and a no-nonsense direct approach rather than “the beautiful game”.

A good many years ago now, I used to take an Accrington Stanley supporting friend to Adams Park whenever we played them. He had played for them as a central defender in his younger days, although I think only for the Reserves. I never really looked forward to matches against the Stanley - in recent years, in particular, they always seemed a bit of a bogey team and it often wasn’t very pretty.

[The relationship with AFC Wimbledon has always been similar.]

For the reasons referred to above, I was surprised to see how good our record has been up there.

The uncommitted punter would probably see tonight’s game as likely to be a draw but, on the Samaritans thread, my heart ruled and I’ve gone for a 2-1 win for the mighty Blues.

• I know I’ve lost my glasses but is that man holding a three legged cocker spaniel.

• Wearing a skirt so must be a woman no?

• We can't play in red tonight, which means no 3-0 win unfortunately

• edited February 2023

Accrington's Liam Coyle might be one to keep an eye on... 14 bookings in all comps this season, 5 in his last 7. Yet no reds.

• We could certainly do with some cheer tonight, hopeful the boys can keep the momentum going.