Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• At least Thompson looks good. He might be the only fit first team central midfielder we’ve got on the books by the looks of things.

This second half is going to be brutal to watch.

• A weird one - not too bad in some ways, and ironic that it was the defence which let us down, though a wicked corner.

I don't think we have quite enough going forward, but no-one is playing too badly.

• Can't see why Plymouth are top of the league based on the first half. Look very average given this is effectively our 2nd team.

Bring on Vokes and Memehti if the score is still 1-0 on 80 minutes and we could definitely get something from this game.

• Exeter having the audacity to not play beautiful football at the horse punchers

• Given its a bit of a makeshift team I think we have done ok so far, especially when we have kept the ball on the deck and passed it around; I know our passing hasn't been great but I would rather see us try than revert to hoof ball, especially as AAH keeps drifting wide rather than being a central target.

• We could of course become victims of our own readiness to confidently trust Alfie’s ability to overcome the fitness problems which had bedevilled him for the last couple of seasons.

I think he is settled and happy to be back where he spent his first season as a professional.

My fingers are firmly crossed.

• It does feel like our luck has run out against Plymouth a little - really should have got something from the home game, and now the away game falls in this weird window. Hopefully I'll eat my words in 45 minutes or so!

• I don’t think AAH is supposed to be a central target, Hanlan is playing in the middle of the front three.

• A club at the bottom of the Championship who are leaking goals and have a long term injury to a CB.

A lot of these teams turnover 25-30M. A 250k bid would not even be 1% of the years turnover for a player who’s already proved in the past he’s a Premiership quality player when he’s fit. He’s been fit for four months.

• That thing at the back of my mind that tells me Alfie is here to stay is that he’s back enjoying his football. He said he always knew he would come back to Wycombe and I don’t think he plans on it being a short stop. We may well get some bids for him but I think he would want to stay.

• To be fair they all keep rotating (AAH, Hanlan & Kaikai)

• Plymouth offered very little threat aside from the corner that we lost our bearings over. Horgan looking more purposeful than I've seen him for a while (certainly in the games he played earlier in the season) and Thompson looking like he's getting his eye back in well.

The cynic might say that Ainsworth was more keen to rotate fringe players in for this game so that we save stronger players for the Peterborough game, who are direct competitors for a play-off berth. In any case, Al Hamadi, Horgan and Kaikai have definitely applied themselves well and no doubt done the job Ainsworth wanted from them. I'm strangely optimistic about our chances of getting back into this, we'll see how long that lasts into the second half...

• Such a shame one sloppy bit of work at a corner is ruining what otherwise would be a good performance in the circumstances.

Very tough ask for the players who have come in to make much of an impact.

Al Hamadi has had a couple of decent moments, as has Kaikai, but I'd probably make a triple sub of both & Horgan off, for Vokes, Mehmeti and Wheeler post haste. Assuming all three are fit and well.

• Entertaining play from Horgs and Kaikai there, where if we couldn’t laugh we would cry.

• I know your £250k was just an example, but I’m not sure the Couhigs would even let him go for a figure like that. I think it’d need to be pretty significant for us to let him go, given how important he is to achieving the stated aim this season.

• Horgan with a clear foul on Kaikai. Poor decision from the ref to play on

• One of these guys is going to score the equaliser. It's destiny!

• In the last 5 minutes we’ve seen 4 of our players take each other out. Horgan on Kaikai, then Thompson on McCarthy.

If we can sharpen up going forward and stay solid at the back there’s something here for us.

• We actually put together a decent passage of play before the Plymouth counter attack.

• Taking a unique approach to winning his place back in the team by injuring his competition

• Surely that was a push on Taf before their shot!?

• Regardless of the outcome of this game, Kaikai has shown he needs to be involved more. Criminal how little we’ve seen him, 10 minute cameos are not enough for him.

• Unless Mawson has a release clause, we are entitled to reject any bids that come in for him. If a good enough bid comes in that works for Mawson and the club, it's the only way he will go. The playoffs will be worth more to us than a derisory offer for a Championship+ level player. We risk losing him for nothing but we are privileged to even have him in the first place.

• Fair to say Taf has had better games

• We don’t even know if Mawson is fit. As far as we know he could be out for the season. Wouldn’t be worrying about it at all.

• Yep, let's worry about this game first,

And get Vokes, Mehmeti and Wheeler on while it's still in the balance.

• Max probably wasn’t expecting to have to actually jog so soon after Christmas. On the plus side, at least he won’t need to go down onto the cold surface for five minutes later in the game.

• I think even Wycombe Twitter wouldn’t casually describe a season-ender as a ‘precaution’

• The fringe players have done ok for me. Kaikai the pick of the bunch but AAH has worked well and tracked back too.

• I agree, they all need to come on now, not in 15 minutes time... seeing Mehmeti and Vokes come on will instantly worry them