Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

15678911»

Comments

• A 1-0 win that could have gone either way is not evidence they've "worked out how to play us" 😂

We'll be back Argyle.

• edited December 2022

It's a guy who says he's "kept an eye" on us, but then said he hasn't followed us "closely", but still thinks he's qualified to judge the comparative strength of all our players.

• Schumacher is having himself on if he thinks he's "worked us out".

Two narrow 1-0s, one settled by a penalty and one settled by a set piece, is hardly working us out.

But a lot of what these managers say is spin for their own fans.

See Barton comments the other day.

• Plymouth Argyle are obsessed with us aren’t they? It’s wonderful to see.

• @Malone Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted if the results were reversed and there's no doubting these are great results for Plymouth. But talk of having worked out how to play against us should be tempered by the knowledge that we were were very depleted with injuries for the fixture at Adams Park and were rather unfortunate to lose and we fielded a much changed XI the other day. In fact, in many ways that match played out as I suspect the management team would've liked. We held on for 70mins, bought the likes of Mehmeti and Vokes on, who completely changed the flow of the match and it was just missed chances (and to be fair, good defending) that prevented us snatching a point.

• Gareth Ainsworth has written the following the message to supporters of Wycombe Wanderers and Plymouth Argyle, in light of the support given to Tjay De Barr during and after a concerning incident which saw the striker receive urgent treatment on the pitch following Thursday night's League 1 encounter:

“I’m really pleased to be able to say that early signs point towards Tjay being clear of any immediate danger and he is on the mend. It was a distressing moment for everyone and I think both clubs should be proud of how their players and staff quickly rallied around to give Tjay support at his time of need.

“I’d like to say a massive thank you to the medical staff, from both my own team and the Plymouth Argyle team, for displaying real expertise and professionalism throughout. They responded extremely quickly and made sure Tjay received the best possible care at all times. We are so fortunate to have people like these looking after us when we most need them and their hard work should never go unnoticed or unappreciated.

"Finally to both sets of supporters, a huge thank you for the respect and decorum that was shown through those concerning moments straight after the final whistle. Some things will always be bigger than football and I felt both the Wycombe and the Plymouth fans were superb in what was a very tense situation.

"The messages of support have really been appreciated by Tjay and his family and on behalf of myself and all at Wycombe Wanderers, again, thank you. I look forward to many more great games against Plymouth Argyle in the future."

• Honestly hearing about what's currently unfolding in the NFL with a player there collapsing (suspected commotio cordis - a cardiac arrest triggered by a heavy blow to the chest) made me realise how lucky De Barr is, given how his injury and collapse were caused by a blow to the chest as well.