Skip to content

Match day thread: Plymouth

Comments

• edited December 2022

There's got to be some flu bug or something going on for Grimmer-Scowen-Obita-McCleary to not be involved at all, surely. Plus Mawson out as well.

Then Mehmeti and Vokes benched too.

If we can get through this with a point we'll all be delighted.

• edited December 2022

Just to elaborate, I have a lot of faith in the talent of the players coming in, but it's just so many coming in fairly cold, without a lot of game time - Horgan, Freeman, Kaikai, Hanlan, Thompson, AAH.

This has the potential to look like an absolute disaster or absolute genius!

• Weirdly it's quite an exciting XI but far from our strongest. Hope they didn't have the Xmas do in Revs.

• Clearly the team selection seems to suggest , we have given up on this to rest key players. Interesting.

• Certainly would be a great time for Hulk Horgan and Kaikai to turn up big style!

• edited December 2022

Bloody hell ! That's one hell of a different line up !

Fresh legs ? Vokes was on the bench for 2 games before boxing day, he can't be knackered surely ?

Bit worried about Mawson

• I suppose if someone has a borderline knock, another game just 3 days later isn't too suspicious?

If he's back for Peterborough we'll all be relieved!

• Definitely concerned about gelling quickly with every attacking player a fresh face.

An interesting and fascinating experiment, either way!

• We'll find out on Saturday as we don't have another game for two weeks after that .

• Everything feels wrong with this line-up, from the new attack, through to Thompson coming in after about 15mins of action after a year off.

But maybe it's one of those games it's so wrong, it becomes so right?

Hope so...

• Okay, so I am guessing the strategy is to hold off the onslaught first half, see how the attacking players fare, and then bring on some weaponry for the closing stages to try and snatch it? Mehmeti against a tiring defence?

• I'd imagine that wouldve given Plymouth a massive boost not seeing Mehmeti in the line up, considering how good he was down there last season

• I mean, Plymouth certainly wouldn’t have seen this line-up coming.

• They said Mawson was left out "as a precaution". They didn't say what it was a precaution against.

Tonight's lineup fairly obviously screams that Gaz doesn't think we can play our strongest side tonight and Sunday and get something out of both, so he's taken the view we've got a better chance on Sunday.

• I feel as though this game will be memorable either way.

"Remember that time GA made eight changes from an in-form team to visit the division leaders and we were handed a momentum-killing spanking?"

"Remember that time GA made eight changes from an in-form team to visit the division leaders and showed himself to be an utter genius when Kaikai, Freeman and Horgan all scored in an incredible win?"

• Amazing team selection. He obviously knows something we don’t. Fingers crossed it works.

• I must say that I am chuffed for AAH to get a start, though. I hope he does something positive with it!

• Remember that time we realised we were so absolutely immune from defeat at Plymouth, we could rest most of the big players and put a league cup lineup out, and still whop them....

• I literally don’t ever think I’ve seen the side rotated this much unless it’s a cup game (which we all know are never GA priorities, even playing the second string vs Man City of all sides).

GA did allude to the fact that we’ve traditionally been crap over Xmas in the last post game interview though (ok he didn’t put it that bluntly, but not far off), perhaps this is his answer.

Let’s hope Thompson really is fully fit, on his day a cracking player but Scowen’s boots are some big ones to fill, especially for a player coming back from injury.

The AAH start is very intriguing, in the few times I’ve seen him play I’ve seen good hassling in an Alex Samuel stylee, but not a huge amount else. As someone else said, surely Vokes isn’t that knacked that he couldn’t start?

• I am strangely excited for this. Open mind...open mind...open mind...

• Ainsworth is a genius and there is nothing more to be said. Apart from...

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou amongst women, and blessed is the Fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen

• I think the fact that Wakely and De Barr are on the bench shows that it is more than just rotation. No disrespect there, but if everyone is fit we would have the bench filled out with much stronger players.

• At least Forino is back in there. His set piece ability might be crucial tonight alongside Taf.

• Forino always seems to play well indeed. He also has that Inspector Gadget-like ability to get a leg to anything trying to get past him.

• Straaaange things are happenin'

• One huge positive - this team should play with serious finesse going forward, with the likes of Freeman, Kaikai, Hanlan and Horgan involved. If Plymouth are expecting an endless volley of long balls, they might well have prepared for the wrong game plan.

• Pele reported as having passed away. RIP to a legend.

• Some of their fans on Twitter mentioned they have gone for height in their line-up so you could be right with that one.

• It speaks volumes that I would still be afraid to take that bet.