Skip to content

Trust Meeting with Rob Couhig

Comments

• It's certainly an interesting situation with Pete.

He's gone from being the exceptionally loud and visible face of the regime, mateying up with fans and players aside and even drawing envy from a few fans that he was one of the few who got to watch us every game in the champs...

To disappearing home without a word until now.

A strange mix of "visa" issues for the kids wrapped up in disappointment at not nabbing the ground and feeling should we say "resentment" at the trust holding a big whop of the percentage for doing what he sees as absolutely nothing for it and holding zero risk and input financially.

Meanwhile he'll "concentrate on the football side", whatever that means, and come over every so often for some unspecified tasks.

Is that a fair summary of the strange situation?

• Interesting if Pete has gone. Must have only just happened as he's just appeared on an official club video (which they've literally tweeted in the last few minutes) about the dev squad.

• He hasn't gone. That video said he calls Gareth every day didn't it?

Plus he'll come over "periodically".

• All sounds a bit worrying to me.

I actually quite liked Pete being in and around the fans and was genuinely excited about the takeover.

Now I am feeling quite the opposite. I'm not fussed about a new road. I'm not sure that is going to help our club push forward!

• Hmm, I'm not sure someone who's been so reckless with the club's finances can be described as "likeable"? He continues to show he fundamentally doesn't get English football and English football culture - and that should set all sorts of alarm bells ringing.

• The thing that really gnaws away at me is that Rob is a lawyer and a large part of his job (or his employee’s jobs) will be advising clients about the probabilities of cases, and discussing the risk they are willing to bear. So for example, something like ‘you’re very likely to win the case, but in the small possibility you lose you’ll owe £30 million so you are better off to settle for £150k even though you’d probably win.’

If he was thinking rationally he must know that promotion is an outside chance - so why is he willing to budget as if he expects it to happen? Is he delusional (someone mentioned a misconception that the Couhigs had a Midas touch)? Or does he think the reward of success will sit with him, but the risk of failure will not?

I wonder which division he genuinely thinks we will most likely be in next season, in three seasons, in five seasons.

• Having said that I don’t think there is currently any alternative to the plan set out in the proposals. We are where we are.

• Yeah, he's definitely still involved. That's been misinterpreted.

• I’m trying to take the statements about Pete at face value. It sounds like the plan was for his family to move here, maybe with the expectation that one or more of his kids would be able to play football at some level.

That obviously hasn’t happened, and combining that with already living here for a year, plus his disillusionment with the Trust has pushed him more into the background.

• I suspect WWFC will be loaded with debt over the next 2-3 years and it will then be used to purchase Adams Park from FALL.

• I think you are right Mr Empty, and suspect it has always been the plan. Making a return on your investment, is a lot more likely if you can sell the package with the Stadium included.

• If the Couhigs were such great businessmen, why did they sign the deal in the first place and then complain about it?!

• I’m not sure if I’m misremembering but I always thought that one of the main reasons for selling 75% of the club was to fund the necessary work to the Frank Adams stand roof?

I remember 200/250k being mentioned and that it was urgently needed - have I made that up?

• I'd love to see how much they've spent on enhancing the club's presence in, y'know, the town where it's based. Other than some light and dark blue benches, what is there?

• You did not make that up. I remember it clearly as well, but apparently now the Valley End is in greater need of attention (but not immediately). It's a pity that there wasn't a windfall of £8m any time since they announced the Woodlands roof needed renovation...

• TBF the best marketing they can do is to create a winning team that captures the imagination of the town. It is less than 6 months ago we took 22k fans to Wembley.

• Listening to that clip Rob said something about how they'd made loads of improvements already.

I presume he means the eye scorching ad board and the wi fi.

Anything else?

He said it in jest once about how people told him getting to the championship is difficult, after we did just that quite soon in.

But I think he genuinely believes that, not understanding that it was an absolute amazing season where things fell in place for us all over the place from day 1 playing Bolton's kids.

• I abstained as a No vote will result in an ugly conclusion, but I feel a Yes vote just results in a more drawn out ugly conclusion. As someone else said, don't want to put my name in favour of anything that is going on at present. Grim stuff.

• edited November 2022

I think the reality is that we were extremely close to administration without a buyer back in 2019. The thing that had me more excited than anything was the hope, however faint, of a real crack at sustainability, as having a club is the most important thing. I also feel football is rife to fall apart, and would rather be on the right side of the financial catastrophe.

Having a slightly better crack at promotion each year with no guarantees is not as high on my bucket list, honestly, especially with the level. of debt those increased odds come with.

• Remember when we lost to Walsall? That was shit wasn’t it? We all needed a boost this week. Life can be cruel

• I’ll be surprised if the Couhigs are around next season.

The way he acted last night was disgraceful and for me he showed his true colours.

• edited November 2022

@Chris He’s willing to risk it because that’s his only viable exit strategy. And his loss will be limited to his financial contribution if everything goes to shit.

Unlike us, he doesn’t stand to lose the club he’s supported his whole life and a vital part of his own local community.

I don’t necessarily hold this against RC. But it is important we recognise that his interests are not entirely aligned to those of supporters.

• Should have seen this coming.

In the same sentence -

"we will leave this club in a good state for any succesor"

"if your Granddad turned up at my door with a bag of cash, I'd have to listen"

No business man or woman is going to stick around in a business with a "cash flow deficit" (call it what you want, the term is aka "Hemorrhaging money") - of nearly £3m.

• From Block M, the only 'improvements' that I can see are a screen, the eye scorching ad board and some working speakers. I'm probably very stupid but I fail to grasp the benefits of wifi at a football match. Furthermore, the toilets don't see much better..........

It's lucky that a £3,000,000 loss only equates to roughly 5,000 extra 'customers' paying £25 each for all of our 23 home games!

Provincial law must be extremely well paid in America!

• He said the bag of cash bit then almost realised what he'd said and quickly added some sentiments about "oh..as long as they promise to be nice" etc

• I like it when he says he'll "leave it to the lawyers as if they hold the key to it all.

• Yeah it was a ridiculously worded comment. Why not - "the club is not up for sale, we are committed but like any other walk of life, we would be stupid to not listen to offers".

Didn't like how he said "we are ALL in and out eventually". Managers, owners, players....fans. Has he not heard the chant "Wycombe 'til I die?"

• If we get promoted they will be.

If we don't.....we might have a new owner, manager and players.